Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm glad you found something that works for now. You can always keep looking for something different. I think your HI is a very good deal. Hard to believe there are union jobs with no payed vacation for the first year. Good luck at the new job.

It sounds like working conditions might be difficult for you. I'm hoping for the best.
Everyone there was saying the insurance is really good. I wasn't sure since it is far more than I have paid for almost the last decade due to being low income and on ACA with heavy subsidies. I guess it really is good though so that's one good thing. Vacation does go to 2 weeks after 3 year, 3 weeks after 8, 4 weeks after 12 and 5 weeks after 20 so that's reasonable eventually just not at first.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Congratulations on the new job!

$195 a month for health insurance (even if you are only a single) does not sound bad at all. The 401k 50% match on up to 4% also does not sound bad, it sounds pretty good. There are lots of companies that offer less--or none. I do agree vacation leave is somewhat skimpy. But count your blessings.
Just to be clear that is 50% match for up to 4% totaling a max of a 2% company contribution. That is the worst I have seen in similar jobs but most of those jobs no longer have a pension. In addition to no vacation there are also no paid sick days ever. We get 15 paid holidays but we have to work on every holiday that falls on a scheduled work day including Christmas. As the low seniority person I may have to work all 15 holidays for the first few years. They only pay time and a half for holidays, most places pay double time. Same for Sundays.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Congrats.
Overall it sounds fine. Good to have a job in these times if not retired.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

15 holidays is a lot . . .
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
15 holidays is a lot . . .
If they were days off with pay then yes it would be a lot but they will be almost all work days, even the major holidays. Yes, I would get holiday pay plus time and a half but I would rather have the major holiday's off of work. Also, I work 12 hour shifts but only get 8 hours of holiday pay. Better than nothing but not nearly as good as it sounds.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

So glad to read that your new job is working out, Aaron! I think the job benefits are exceptionally good. Sounds like you're all set to start adding to your retirement nest egg.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Job Update: The jobs listed thus far have not worked out. I have now started a new job and have done 2+ weeks and it has been not so bad. I am driving a Sprinter Cargo van. I only do "no-touch" freight which means I don't do any lifting. I do have to strap the load so it is stable but that is not difficult. Leg gets a little stiff from 12 hours +/- sitting in the van per day but not nearly as bad as most jobs have been. I have been to 14 states in 2 weeks. Pay is pretty bad(<$15/hr) but work is not very difficult. It can be stressful in heavy traffic or bad weather but better than other jobs I have had. I will do this during the nicer weather months then I will go to Florida for the winter where I will do medical research studies to cover my snowbird costs. The driving job allows me to take time off anytime I want as long as I let them know well in advance. There are others that snowbird and that is perfectly fine since Winter is their slower season. I worked 82 hours last week so I can work pretty much as much as I want and take as much time off as I want.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:34 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Aaron, I'm glad that after so much effort toward finding a job, you have found one that doesn't stress your body too much, and doesn't have anyone breathing down your neck, which I know you hate.

To be able to snowbird in winter is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Job Update: The jobs listed thus far have not worked out. I have now started a new job and have done 2+ weeks and it has been not so bad. I am driving a Sprinter Cargo van. I only do "no-touch" freight which means I don't do any lifting. I do have to strap the load so it is stable but that is not difficult. Leg gets a little stiff from 12 hours +/- sitting in the van per day but not nearly as bad as most jobs have been. I have been to 14 states in 2 weeks. Pay is pretty bad(<$15/hr) but work is not very difficult. It can be stressful in heavy traffic or bad weather but better than other jobs I have had. I will do this during the nicer weather months then I will go to Florida for the winter where I will do medical research studies to cover my snowbird costs. The driving job allows me to take time off anytime I want as long as I let them know well in advance. There are others that snowbird and that is perfectly fine since Winter is their slower season. I worked 82 hours last week so I can work pretty much as much as I want and take as much time off as I want.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:31 AM   #29

I think you got very lucky with this one. All things considered, it seems like a good fit for you. Congratulations!
Old 07-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #30

Congratulations on finding a good fit!
Old 07-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very glad to hear you found something that works for you, even if it's not ideal. This might give you time to find a job that's easier on your leg, like a better paying job driving a forklift. The flexible hours might be hard to find elsewhere, though.