Which job?

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I decided to stop with the clinical research studies and go back to a full time job. My leg is feeling a bit better even though I do still have chronic pain after the hip replacement. I applied to 5 manufacturing jobs within 10 miles of my home. I have had two interviews and they both seem really good choices and seem likely I will get an offer from both places early next week. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to take. Thoughts?

Job 1: Union job with starting pay $22.50/hr going up to $27.50 after 90 probation. The facility is only 1.8 miles from my house. The company is growing fast and hiring a couple dozen people and working a lot of overtime with no end in site. I would be a Utility worker which means I have to work where ever they need me from one day to the next. I would have to rotate between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift every week with work every Saturday. I could be working anywhere from 48-72 hours a week. It could take a year or more to get into a regular position rather than "floating" between jobs. This job would be a lot of hours and physically difficult with my leg issues.

Job 2: This job would start at $20/hr and go to $25/hr over a 18 month period. It is around 6 miles from home. I would be driving a forklift doing 12 hour nights from 7p-7a. I would work 7 days every two weeks so an average of 42 hours per week. Only OT would be to cover vacation so maybe around 10 days a year. This is the only job I would have to do(no floating). Far less strain on my hip replacement but far less money. Still more money than I have ever made at any other job in my life.

Benefits are similar with main difference being the 2nd job benefits start on day one while the others start after 45 days. Not a big deal. Which would you choose?

The one you can do, Job 2. Job 1 would be nice for the money, but it looks like it's beyond your current physical capacity. Take the job you can do now if it's offered. If you improve dramatically, then look for a better paying job.

Please, please take number two. You've suffered so much, don't jeopardize the improvement in your health with job number one.

I have to agree with Another Reader and ivinsfan. With your hip replacement I kind of doubt that you'd be able to stay with job 1. Of course you know your own abilities better than we do but I'd hate to see you start a new job and then have to quit because of the pain. And job 2, while the hours are the pits, gives you an income while you search for something better. But hey, I knew some people who liked midnight shifts.

I have to agree with Another Reader and ivinsfan. With your hip replacement I kind of doubt that you'd be able to stay with job 1. Of course you know your own abilities better than we do but I'd hate to see you start a new job and then have to quit because of the pain. And job 2, while the hours are the pits, gives you an income while you search for something better. But hey, I knew some people who liked midnight shifts.

I did 12 hours nights for 11 years at my old job so I know I can do it. That was 5p-5a though and this is 7p-7a. I didn't want day shift when it was a 5a start time because that would mean waking up at 3 or 3:30 to get to work on time. This new job would be a 7a start time so I would probably go to days shift when it becomes available....if it becomes available.

I'm seeing a trend. That's 3-0 in favor of less work and less money. I hope job 2 offers me a job first because I probably won't say no to job 1. I don't want to risk getting neither job. They both pay a lot by my standards with $75K or more for job 1 and around $60K for job 2. My previous highest income was $49,XXX.

Swing shifts (rotating from first to second to third) are murder, especially with lots of mandatory OT. I wonder what kind of union would allow that in a contract.

Swing shifts (rotating from first to second to third) are murder, especially with lots of mandatory OT. I wonder what kind of union would allow that in a contract.

Suprisingly most of the union manufacturing jobs around here have crazy hours. I guess the companies want to have as few people on the payroll as possible so they increase the pay high enough for people to vote for the contract. A lot of these people make around $100K/yr doing blue collar work. Job 1 would possibly pay that much depending on OT.

With Job #2 you can still have a life.

Let Job #1 phone call go to voicemail. Probably safest to let all calls with unknown numbers go to voicemail for now.

After listening to voicemail (if Job #1 calls but before accepting Job #1), call Job #2 and tell them you have another offer that you must reply to... and you just wonder if they are planning to make you an offer... and could they go ahead with the offer so that you can carefully consider it.

Or maybe someone in the forum has a better idea.

I picked up my grandson today at his other grandfather's house.

The other grandfather went into ER because his body started breaking down. First, it was a knee. Then a hip. And his last major orthopedic surgery was a shoulder. When people start having arthritic problems, seldom does it stop with one joint.

He worked in metal fabrication standing at a press and moving sheets of steel. We all have physical limitations when placed in a position where hard work is required. And sometimes job compromises must be made to pace one's body for the long run.

I'd go for job #2, and keep looking for something that is more of a sit down job.

With Job #2 you can still have a life.

Let Job #1 phone call go to voicemail. Probably safest to let all calls with unknown numbers go to voicemail for now.

After listening to voicemail (if Job #1 calls but before accepting Job #1), call Job #2 and tell them you have another offer that you must reply to... and you just wonder if they are planning to make you an offer... and could they go ahead with the offer so that you can carefully consider it.

Or maybe someone in the forum has a better idea.

I like this idea, but it has to be articulated in a smooth positive way. This concept was not uncommon in my finance industry either.

Maybe I'm off, but I'm not so worried about the strain on your hip, as it should be stronger than your other one...unless you mean that you're still building up muscle from disuse before the replacement. But I agree with everyone else to pass on #1, mostly because of the rotating shifts. I can imagine doing 2nd or 3rd shift, I did it briefly, but I can't imagine rotating between them. That, and the fact that you're concerned about your hip tell me that you need to make sure you can stay healthy enough to keep working, and it sounds like the first job could really threaten that.

Maybe I'm off, but I'm not so worried about the strain on your hip, as it should be stronger than your other one...unless you mean that you're still building up muscle from disuse before the replacement. But I agree with everyone else to pass on #1, mostly because of the rotating shifts. I can imagine doing 2nd or 3rd shift, I did it briefly, but I can't imagine rotating between them. That, and the fact that you're concerned about your hip tell me that you need to make sure you can stay healthy enough to keep working, and it sounds like the first job could really threaten that.

Every step I take with extra weight(beyond body weight) wears the hip replacement out faster than if I was less active. The more impact on the joint the shorter it's lifespan. That's why I have been instructed to never run or jump again in my life. Repetitive moderate to heavy lifting would have the same effect. Because I had my hip replacement in my 30's I really should keep my activity low to make it last as long as possible(maybe 25-30 years if lucky). Once I need to have the hip replacement replaced(revision surgery) my working days are likely over. I may not even be able to walk unassisted again after that surgery due to my very long and skinny legs. Right now my pain is caused by sore muscles and ligaments which gets worse with overuse.

Every step I take with extra weight(beyond body weight) wears the hip replacement out faster than if I was less active. The more impact on the joint the shorter it's lifespan. That's why I have been instructed to never run or jump again in my life. Repetitive moderate to heavy lifting would have the same effect. Because I had my hip replacement in my 30's I really should keep my activity low to make it last as long as possible(maybe 25-30 years if lucky). Once I need to have the hip replacement replaced(revision surgery) my working days are likely over. I may not even be able to walk unassisted again after that surgery due to my very long and skinny legs. Right now my pain is caused by sore muscles and ligaments which gets worse with overuse.
That definitely makes the forklift job a better choice! I'm glad your leg is feeling somewhat better, and you will be able to go back to work, but yes, take it easy on that hip and take the forklift job!

Update: I did not get either job. I was given no reason as to why they passed on me. I have applied to other similar jobs since then with no luck.

Does anyone know what shows up on a employment background check? Specifically, can they see that I have gotten Worker's Comp in the past? That is the only reason I can think of for not getting hired by any of these companies. I had a serious injury on the job a few years ago.

I am running out of options for good paying union manufacturing jobs to apply to. The next step would be a driving job like Amazon for $15/hr. Otherwise I would have to keep doing what I have been doing which is being a participant in clinical research studies.

I do not know what shows on a background check, but I am sorry you did not get either job!
Would your union from your previous job be able to help at all?

I do not know what shows on a background check, but I am sorry you did not get either job!
Would your union from your previous job be able to help at all?

No, the union was worthless even when I was working there. They definitely wouldn't do anything for me now. I was fired almost 2 years ago.

Finally got hired by a different union job similar to the ones mentioned at the start of the thread. I am in my second week and think this might work. There are a lot of things not to like about this job but at least I have a paycheck. No vacation in the first year and only 1 week in years 2&3. Health insurance doesn't start until after 3 months on the job and I pay the same price as a family plan even though i'm single. I guess the negotiators for the union have families so they got the good deal. I don't know if $195/mo is good or bad for company HI. The 401K isn't available until after a year and there is only a 50% match on the first 4%. No profit sharing. There is a pension but the only people who get anything good are the ones who start in their 20's and work 30+ years. I am starting at 41 and plan to retire by 55 so will get very little starting at age 57--unless future contracts increase that age which sounds likely.

I'm glad you found something that works for now. You can always keep looking for something different. I think your HI is a very good deal. Hard to believe there are union jobs with no payed vacation for the first year. Good luck at the new job.

It sounds like working conditions might be difficult for you. I'm hoping for the best.

Congratulations on the new job!

$195 a month for health insurance (even if you are only a single) does not sound bad at all. The 401k 50% match on up to 4% also does not sound bad, it sounds pretty good. There are lots of companies that offer less--or none. I do agree vacation leave is somewhat skimpy. But count your blessings.

I'm glad you found something that works for now. You can always keep looking for something different. I think your HI is a very good deal. Hard to believe there are union jobs with no payed vacation for the first year. Good luck at the new job.

It sounds like working conditions might be difficult for you. I'm hoping for the best.

Everyone there was saying the insurance is really good. I wasn't sure since it is far more than I have paid for almost the last decade due to being low income and on ACA with heavy subsidies. I guess it really is good though so that's one good thing. Vacation does go to 2 weeks after 3 year, 3 weeks after 8, 4 weeks after 12 and 5 weeks after 20 so that's reasonable eventually just not at first.

Congratulations on the new job!

$195 a month for health insurance (even if you are only a single) does not sound bad at all. The 401k 50% match on up to 4% also does not sound bad, it sounds pretty good. There are lots of companies that offer less--or none. I do agree vacation leave is somewhat skimpy. But count your blessings.

Just to be clear that is 50% match for up to 4% totaling a max of a 2% company contribution. That is the worst I have seen in similar jobs but most of those jobs no longer have a pension. In addition to no vacation there are also no paid sick days ever. We get 15 paid holidays but we have to work on every holiday that falls on a scheduled work day including Christmas. As the low seniority person I may have to work all 15 holidays for the first few years. They only pay time and a half for holidays, most places pay double time. Same for Sundays.

Congrats.
Overall it sounds fine. Good to have a job in these times if not retired.

15 holidays is a lot . . .

If they were days off with pay then yes it would be a lot but they will be almost all work days, even the major holidays. Yes, I would get holiday pay plus time and a half but I would rather have the major holiday's off of work. Also, I work 12 hour shifts but only get 8 hours of holiday pay. Better than nothing but not nearly as good as it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom