Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: A lot has been said recently about right wingers and left wingers dominating the board, rather than
Republican 4 of 4 26 27.08%
Republican 3 of 4 10 10.42%
Split 2 to 2 7 7.29%
Democrat 3 of 4 7 7.29%
Democrat 4 of 4 39 40.63%
Other party mostly/all 5 5.21%
Did not vote 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Which party did you vote for in the last 4 Presidential Elections?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

So you are pro-slavery then?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh hey, no fair blowing up your own "be nice" thread.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
I just think the Federal government has gotten too da**ed big and interferes too da**ed much. Not to mention that it's bloody expensive.
Sounds like you mighta voted for the Bush man! - How's that small government thing working for ya?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
So you are pro-slavery then?
Nope, not at all. And if you look at the actual numbers there really weren't all that many Confederates who owned slaves. The average rednecks couldn't afford them.

And that's one of the interesting things about studying our civil war. It was not a clear "one issue" war, nor even a "one major issue" war. There were so many causes, and they were so intertwined

I say I would have been a Confederate because I believe States rights should not be supplanted by Federal government. The entire purpose of the US Constitution is to limit the powers of the government, not ensure it unto perpetuity nor to make it all powerful.

Heck, if we ever had another civil war there's a better than average chance that I'd end up on the wrong side and lose my pension. New Hampshire has it right,,,,,,LIVE FREE OR DIE
Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
. . .I say I would have been a Confederate because I believe States rights should not be supplanted by Federal government. . .
Even if a State wants to allow slavery? Do you mean that you would support the right of a State to allow slave ownership over the US government's desire to provide freedom?

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #26

Retiredbop...I gotcher back. As stated, there were many reasons for the war between the states, slavery included. Of course no one believes slavery was good and should still exist (although it certainly does in third world countries). My family owned slaves in the 1800's in North Carolina, and lost everything, along with most of the south in the Civil War. My great-great grandfather and his wife are buried on a hill overlooking his old homeplace, right next to many of his former slaves. Through the following years some of them requested to be buried at the "old home place" because that's where they considered home. When they were set free many of them did not leave, but chose to stay and work for my ggf on his farm. They were more like family than slaves. I'm sure this was not the same 100% all over the south, but it did happen. There were of course slaveholders who did not treat their slaves with compassion and these are the ones we always think of whenever the subject of slavery comes up. Slavery was wrong, and would never be tolerated in this country again, but it was absolutely not the entire story of the Civil War. I am proud of my family's history, having at least 5 ancestors who served the Confederacy during that time in our nation's history. However, I'm now sworn to defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic so my allegiance is clear. The period in history of the American Civil War is a fantastic story, one I would urge all to spend some in-depth time to study. Please dig deeper than just what's on the surface, you'll be surprised.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Even if a State wants to allow slavery? Do you mean that you would support the right of a State to allow slave ownership over the US government's desire to provide freedom?
Hmmmm, tough question. Personally, I could not stand for it. But then I'd probably have moved out of such a state by then anyway. My reference to being a Confederate was pointed more at the "hand-out, give-it-away" government that has corrupted this great country. MN started moving in the right direction when they stopped increasing welfare payments to "baby-mill" mothers who were just trying to increase their monthly income via as many fathers as it took. You want more money? You want a higher standard of living? Get off your dead arse and EARN it!

Granted I'm relatively new to this board, but from what I've seen I don't think I've read about too many people who had their nest egg handed to them. They EARNED it. And that's the way it's meant to be.

Marty, congratulations and thank you. You've obviously done some reading and not swallowed the "lies" taught in our early years. It's really a fascinating area of study if you get past the whole "war to free the slaves" bologna. I would never say the slavery issue was not important, but I also don't believe it was the over-riding issue that brought it all to a head. Nice to see someone who still celebrates family history.

And the issue of the number of freed men who chose to return to "home" is something the "anti-slavers" either don't realize or refuse to admit. Just like the "anti-gunners" who refuse to accept facts which patently prove stricter gun laws don't reduce crime.

Sgeeeee, shame on you, you're an instigator.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Slaves were more like family? Baby-mill welfare moms? Wow, just, wow.

Read Fredrick Douglass, then find out the cost per year of welfare and the cost per year of agriculture subsidies that mostly go to mega-corps like ADM. Then find out the demographics of who exactly is on welfare by race and geographic location.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

An ultra right guy here. Only persons who have defended this country by bearing arms in the military services should have the right to vote. The rest of you have not paid the price required to be called citizen.........
Old 01-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

This does not jibe with the Founding Fathers' views, who thought only white male landowners should get to vote...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Do you know why the Commander in Cheif is a civilian?

There are countries who would support your view, I don't think you'd like to live in them.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well, building off of another thread, I find it interesting how closely we scrutinize jury members and the reasons for ejecting them, while allowing anyone at all to vote for who runs the place.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I would entertain a bundled amendment that made voting mandatory and had a material you had to read with a quiz at the end before you actually voted (anyone who has done computer based training knows what I'm talking about).
Old 01-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie
An ultra right guy here. Only persons who have defended this country by bearing arms in the military services should have the right to vote. The rest of you have not paid the price required to be called citizen.........
Waaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!

You know, you need some of us to actually be productive, tax-paying citizens so that the gummint can afford to buy you all those toys that go "boom"...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
AMEN BROTHER!! USMC, ooo-rah!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My God in heaven, what rock did this moron crawl out from under ?

Can we assume you voted for Kerry over Bush ?

I'd say that only persons who have a f*cking clue what the US Constitution is
about should have the right to vote (hint: the founding fathers realized it was
very important to have civilian oversight of the military, specifically by having
the Commander in Chief be a civilian).

That being said, I believe that serving honorably in the Armed Forces demonstrates
a commitment and contribution to the country, much like serving as a school teacher
and educating the next generation of Americans, or establishing a business that
provides decent jobs and goods/services without exploiting the enviroment or the poor;
I believe the latter does every bit as much to "make America strong" as the former.
For those who disagree, I find it unbelievable that they would vote for GW Bush over
John McCain (as many S'Carolinians did in 2000) or John Kerry.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #37

This is a very interesting thread. . . Creepy, scary and frightening at times, but interesting.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm. Two "did not vote".

But did here
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

31 voted Republican 3 or 4 out of 4, 38 demo 3 or 4 out of 4, so while there is a slight plurality for demo (out of those who responded), I think it's pretty safe to say this board has all types!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
...I think it's pretty safe to say this board has all types!
Talk about stating the obvious...