Which pastimes from 50-60 years ago are still going strong?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a long thread about pastimes from the 1950s and 1960s that are dying out. I am wondering if any are popular with younger people?

I can only think of: Consuming marijuana (don't consume it myself, but people seem to be excited about impending legalization)

Complaining about the younger generations and talking about their conditions. :)

Google says fishing is still very popular, I wouldn't know myself.

Complaining about the younger generations and talking about their conditions. :)
An enduring time honored pastime. :)

Last edited:
Oddly (to me at least), board games are extremely popular with millennials and it's driving a resurgence in their popularity. Here's a CNBC story about it. DS tried to teach us how to play Settlers of Catan and my head hurt for 2 days.

I play Solitaire every day, like I did back in the 1950's.

Only now, I play it on my Windows 10 computer.... but hey, it's still Solitaire. :)

Oddly (to me at least), board games are extremely popular with millennials and it's driving a resurgence in their popularity. Here's a CNBC story about it. DS tried to teach us how to play Settlers of Catan and my head hurt for 2 days.

Wait until you play all the expansion packs. That will blow a fuse! Sheep for Wheat or Iron or maybe a port? (play it every year at the family reunion)

:)

Someone taught me mah jong (the real one, not the one on the computer) and she plays in a couple of groups.

I know some bunko players too.

Taking the waters for health or relaxation.
I stopped at the Buckstaff bath house in Hot Springs AR when traveling through. Bath house row was looking all refreshed.
Saratoga Springs in NY requires a reservation these days.
Stewart Mineral Springs Baths outside Mt. Shasta was a joy and they were turning people away.
Most of the commercial hot springs I've visited are often down right crowded.

Reading a book and playing golf.

I still play Strat-O-Matic baseball, cards and dice, not the PC version which came out circa 1990.

Talking on the phone. (notice that does not specify a pay phone or party line)

My daughter and her roommate were invited to a board game for 4th of July picnic. I've heard monopoly mentioned.

Actually these activities are rather unpopular with younger folks. No matter; they will grow into them eventually.

Back
Top Bottom