Which Sounds Better?

Which sounds better to you?

• Arrangement A

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Arrangement B

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Could you let me know which of these two arrangements sounds better to you?

If your birthday falls on an odd day, listen to arrangement A first, otherwise listen to B first (so that order will be less of a factor).

Arrangement A

Arrangement B

Thanks.

Oh Arrangement B, most definitely!! Thanks - - they were both so pleasant to listen to.

They're both beautiful, and a beautiful song. A just seemed to have more depth, B started out a little more simply IMHO.

Is it Christmas time again so soon?

I like B. Agree with the others that A is a bit more complex, but I think this song needs a lighter sound.

I can't tell any difference - guess that's why I have no musical talent. :(

I prefer A because I enjoy more traditional music. B has more of a jazzy air at the end thanks to the sharp notes, but the rest of the melody seems more classical. If you are going for more jazz, then I would suggest add a bit more flair to B throughout the piece. Both sound nice!

A is better. I'm not sure I'm judging the arrangements, though, and not the performances. I thought perhaps the pianist preferred A. B was just sort of pounded out.

I preferred B. No reason, both are very nice.

Prefer A. It sounds more "traditional" FWIW.

I'll vote for "B." I don't have speakers on this computer right now so I can't listen. I assigned "A" as "heads" and "B" as "tails" and flipped a quarter. It came up "tails."

I'm sure if I could hear them, both arrangements would be spectacularly beautiful.

I voted for A. It was "warmer" perhaps because of the harmonic chords.

OK, thanks. B was a book arrangement, that is, playing the actual notes written out in the Reader's Digest book of Christmas songs (good arrangements). A was playing it just using the chords and melody as playing a jazz fake book. I think I'll combine the two.

Now I have to play the whole thing without mistakes for our Christmas video.

To me, 'B' sounded more like a 'straight' arrangement, and I think it would be instantly recognized by untrained ears.

'A' sounded more like trying to alter/mellow the tune out a bit - either to make it more interesting, or to use it less obtrusively as background music or a background theme w/o 'hitting someone over the head' with the tune itself. It might not be so instantly recognizable to some.

I can't say one is better than the other, depends on how you want to use them. To me, 'A' is more interesting as it isn't quite as 'obvious'.

BTW - I went back and listened with my good headphones and external DAC/headphone amp hooked up to my laptop - 'A' seemed to have more 'hiss', and 'B' seemed a bit garbled/distorted (and noticeable in the reverb). Maybe those are just artifacts in the compression or you used slightly different recording settings for each? Either would be fine for a video, but I did notice and thought I'd mention it.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom