Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't suppose this will do? I'm not consciously trying to save money, but it looks like you can spend thousands on zoom lenses, so this seems suspiciously cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300m...+t5i+zoom+lens
Unless you are printing your photos poster-size, I wouldn't worry about lens quality. Any good brand, and certainly Canon, will be more than adequate.

That said, I keep trying to guess what your trip involves. In Africa, that 75mm end of the zoom range would probably be too much magnification for some shots. Animals can come very close to the game drive vehicles. In the Galapagos, it would definitely be too much magnification as you can get close enough to touch many of the animals.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't suppose this will do? I'm not consciously trying to save money, but it looks like you can spend thousands on zoom lenses, so this seems suspiciously cheap.

My DSLR days are over, longest lens I had was 55-300mm though I had a doubler so I could reach 600mm. But you definitely get what you pay for with lenses IME. If you’re trying to capture something still in daylight you can get away with a cheaper lens with a tripod or something to steady the camera. If it’s something moving quickly and/or low light, you’d have to spend thousands for a lens and have some good shooting skills - most amateurs will have trouble framing some fast moving with a long lens.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
I bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ 1000 for a trip to Namibia and I am perfectly happy with it.
Our Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K has a 24x optical zoom, and it's what I used to take pictures from a safari vehicle, including the one of the zebras in the photography thread. It did great considering sometimes we were a quarter of a mile away, although often closer. I couldn't have gotten nearly as detailed a shot as OldShooter, but I got some great shots of the wildlife for a novice. I actually blew up some of the better ones and framed them, including the zebras, and they're still pretty detailed.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #24

Rather than a tripod I recommend a monopod, if you're going to get a larger lens. A tripod is great if you're shooting a static subject but if they move then a monopod allows you to keep up with the action much better. I used a monopod with a Canon 1D3 and 300mm f2.8 lens, big and heavy, when shooting sports.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Rather than a tripod I recommend a monopod, if you're going to get a larger lens. A tripod is great if you're shooting a static subject but if they move then a monopod allows you to keep up with the action much better. I used a monopod with a Canon 1D3 and 300mm f2.8 lens, big and heavy, when shooting sports.
+1 I always carry a monopod with a small ball head on trips. If you're going to Africa, using a tripod will be almost impossible because you will be in a game drive vehicle almost all the time.

The shot of the leopard cub was made from a game drive vehicle using a monopod. It was angled to the left with its tip against my foot and angled to the rear to brace it against the seat. The ball head let me level the camera even though the monopod was heavily angled. The thing to remember is that a monopod is not simply a stick that supports the camera vertically. A "using a monopod" internet search will show you some creativity.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Best Buy shows that lens at $199! I have that one, and, as I mentioned in a previous post, it is limited to relatively good lighting and relatively slow shutter speeds... To get larger aperture settings requires more bucks.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Interesting idea, thanks.

My experience with taking photos while on guided tours has not been good. There is always at least one, if not many, selfish you-know-whats crowding me out. Some of my would-have-been best Alaska photos had to be discarded b/c they featured photobombs by old ladies with Iphones; or some old guy with a great big belly and two huge lenses would take up the entire space available for taking the best photos. I think people on these tours can get really selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #28

Quote:

B&H Photo shows it at $179, Adorama Camera at $199. Both are well known ethical dealers. I'd be suspicious of the seller on Amazon. That one may be "gray market" - legal to sell but Cannon won't honor the warranty on a lens that was supposed to be sold outside the U.S. But he does get good reviews so I don't know....
Old 09-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

That 75-300 in the link is a fairly old, not very good EF (supports full size images sensors) lens: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_75–300mm_lens Note there are many flavors of this lens.

You probably want to try to find an EFS (made for 'crop sensor' cameras) lens with image stabilization (IS). It should be smaller/lighter than its EF counterpart.

There is a 55-250 that's pretty good in its most recent (STM) version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_55–250mm_lens

300mm is kinda of an oddball focal length afaik for Canons. I have a Sigma 50-500 and like you say, it's huge/heavy. You actually hold the camera by a handle on the lens.

There may be a nice fast 300mm-ish L lens (the white bodied ones) but it'll be very $$.

The best all around not crazy expensive, not crazy heavy/big, long zoom lens from Canon is the (recently updated) 100-400mm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_100–400mm_lens

BTW, you could rent a lens. I've done it from Lens Rentals in the past: https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/lenses/mounts/canon-ef
Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Not sure if that’s a USM motor... if not the focusing can be slower and NOISY. I usually look for reviews before I pull a trigger on a lens. My main concerns are focusing speed and depending on the lens, noise of the focusing motor. Nothing less cool that going to a (grand)kid’s play and having your zoom lens go “bzzzz-click-buzzz-bizzz” as it focuses.

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #31

As important as your equipment choice is your amount of experience with it. Before your photo trip, try the equipment locally under similar lighting conditions to those you expect. You can have a super long lens, but if you're holding it by hand when the light is marginal you'll wind up with lots of blurred photos.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Tour company advised bringing at least a 300mm telephoto lens for SLR cameras. I have no experience with TP lenses.

We have a Canon Rebel T5i SLR camera. The Canon 300mm TP lens runs anywhere from $85 to $250 on various sites. Space, not price is the issue. The 300MM will fit in the gadget bag along with the camera.

I also see ads for a 500-1,000mm lens, for not much more money, but the durn thing must be a foot long. Would require its own bag, more to hang around one's neck, safeguard from accidents, etc. We need to travel light.

Would the big lens be that much better for getting long shots of wildlife and so on?

Thanks

Amethyst
I'm a Nikon person, but if I was Canonical, I'd probably get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-300m.../dp/B00NJ9K52W

I used a Nikon D50 with the Nikkor 18-200mm zoom for all our travel photography until about 2015. For me it was a workhorse lens, and the wide-angle 18mm is pretty doggone useful. Nikon's 18-300mm is supposed to be even better, image quality-wise.

All I know about the Sigma lens I linked above comes from the 65 Amazon reviews. Canon may make one, other third parties likewise. My point is, the single zoom lens can just stay on the camera, and you're set for all the situations you might run into, not just the 300mm situation. if you're not going to print large, any lens in this category will probably do.
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

For shins and grits, here are some shots using an older Rebel XT EOS 350D, and the EF 75-300mm III. No mono/tripod, just steadied against a rock wall or similar.

108.jpg
098.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Here is what I am thinking of ordering, based on everyone's kind input. Comes with dust cloths and a UV filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AKJ574UN&psc=1
Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is what I am thinking of ordering, based on everyone's kind input. Comes with dust cloths and a UV filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AKJ574UN&psc=1

If you can get to a photo store and check this out I would... it seems a bit heavy to me at 1.5 lbs, plus it is a bit large...

Now, if you are aware of this and only plan to use it for special occasions and not you every day lens then go for it..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would also point out that the lens extends quite a bit when you use the longer telephoto setting. Again, not a problem, as long as that's what you expect.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it does seem heavy, but I'll bring it in place of a 2-pound pair of binoculars, so it's OK :-)

Everyday lens is my smartphone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you can get to a photo store and check this out I would... it seems a bit heavy to me at 1.5 lbs, plus it is a bit large...

Now, if you are aware of this and only plan to use it for special occasions and not you every day lens then go for it..
Old 09-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I think that's what zoom lenses are supposed to do? Then they go back to original size for going into the gadget bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I would also point out that the lens extends quite a bit when you use the longer telephoto setting. Again, not a problem, as long as that's what you expect.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is what I am thinking of ordering ...
That should be an excellent zoom range for wildlife. At the highest magnification, though, using a monopod for support will be very helpful if not essential.

I note that the title says "international model." This might mean that it is imported directly by the seller and does not have Canon USA support or warranty. Personally I would not consider that to be a show-stopper but I would check places like Adorama and B&H to see how much extra the USA warranty coverage would cost. Both of them also have used equipment departments selling lenses that they will warranty. I would also check out that option.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that's what zoom lenses are supposed to do? Then they go back to original size for going into the gadget bag.

Yes, the big benefit is that they can get small to put away... our zoom to 300 is just a bit bigger than a standard 50mm lens which is why I got it...

The other zoom we have actually goes out and then back in when you zoom... do not know why...

Edit... the only reason I got a second zoom is DW wanted a wider field... my original zoom went down to 28mm... so I had to buy one that is 18... I see yours does go from 18 to 400... as long as it does sharp pics at all zoom ranges it is probably the only lens you need...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canon camera, photography, telephoto lens, travel photography