Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which Weber should I buy?
Weber Spirit 3 15.00%
Weber Genesis 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
You live in Texas and don't have a grill?? Who would a thunk it!
exactly - I think I have about 5 grills
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Weber Genesis, all stainless, including the grates. Nice parting gift for 25 years of indentured servitude at Megacorp...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #43

I have the espresso color and love the way it blends in on the patio. We don't have NG at our house so that wasn't a consideration. Enjoy!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

We suffered with a few Costco SS grills that rusted out quickly and had poor back up warranty, and then switched to a Weber Summit series. It has been great no issues for 5 years, but then our smoker rusted out. The smoker feature on the Summit is poor at best. We like to smoke salmon, pork and beef ribs etc and we had a gas fired smoker that worked OK but used a lot of chips and gas.

We bought the VisionPro S series, as sold at HD. This is a green egg type, but better control and black. It came with a great lava stone for heat control. It was meant to replace the smoker, but now our $2500 Weber sits idle most days, and our go to grill and smoker is the Vision Pro. It goes for over 8 hours on a single load of lump coal, and has amazing heat control. We can shut it down and relight the same load of coal, so there is very low fuel consumption. Just our opinion.....but going back to lump charcoal is so much better than NG. But you just gotta like smoke, we use several types of wood to enhance flavors. We grill all year round in the NW, and the egg type holds heat in freezing weather, where the Weber just struggled.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #45
Administrator

If you are going to be shopping for the genisis you need to be aware of the various model differences. They are not all the same, not all have stainless interiors.

Here's a link to compare: Weber Genesis - Gas Barbecue Grill | Weber.com BUT it doesn't show the Premium models (stainless interior).

Consider whether you want the side burner. On our old grill we used it exactly once in about 10 years. Nice idea but at my house, it is not needed. The model without the side burner is cheaper.

Weber has some odd, dealer only features and so you might look for the 310 Premium model. EP is enameled and S is the stainless exterior. Premium gets you the stainless interior which should get you longer life. If you need a side burner look at the 330 models.

An EP-310 Premium should run you about $750.00, the side burner adds about $100 on the 330 model.

Ace has several colors: Weber Genesis EP-310 Premium Propane Gas Grill (6512301) - Gas Grills - Ace Hardware

Ours is a nice dusky gray color that blends in nicely against our weathered deck and when we were looking last year I noticed that various dealers had some dealer-exclusive colors so look around if this is a concern.

One final note, the enamel exterior on our current model is MUCH easier to keep clean than our old stainless (exterior) grill. The stainless showed every speck of grease, dust and smudged like crazy when cleaned. The enamel wipes up easily and looks great.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought a Weber Genesis E-330 (Natural Gas) from Lowes last summer. They had free assembly and delivery. Couldn't be happier!
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Bought a Weber Genesis E-330 (Natural Gas) from Lowes last summer. They had free assembly and delivery. Couldn't be happier!
very tempting with the free assembly
Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
very tempting with the free assembly
Yep! I had a pool put in several years ago and the equipment is just on the other side of a stone wall that separates the pool deck/patio from the equipment. I knew that at some point I'd want to switch to a natural gas grill, so I made sure that the plumbing for the pool/spa heater had a T on it. I still had to get a plumber out to connect to the T and drill through the wall but it's so nice knowing that I'll never empty a propane tank again in the middle of a cookout!

Anyway, do note that the Weber Grills sold at Lowes and Home Depot aren't exactly the same as the standard Weber Lines - they do some customizations for the big box - some of which you might not like. In my case, it was only a different color for the enamel, but otherwise identical.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #49

I agree with Janet on the side burner - I got one as I thought it would be handy but have used it once in 5 years.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I agree with Janet on the side burner - I got one as I thought it would be handy but have used it once in 5 years.
+1

Even if you know you'll use it, a moderate to strong wind can render it useless.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #51
Administrator

I'll speak up for the side burner on the Weber Genesis. DW loves it when she prepares some Venezuelan dishes that are cooked in oil in a cast iron pan. They stink up the kitchen and she always prefers that grill side burner, it gets the oil hot enough and the neighbors get the smell.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info...

DW said we are buying today.... so, went and bought the Genesis 330.... it has the sear burner and side burner... Lowes will build it and deliver it next Friday....

As for the side grill, our current grill has one and it was not used that much.... I did use the griddle that came with it to brown roasts that I then put in the slow cooker.... DW would grill some dishes out there like MichaelB said... either a lot of oil to splash or smell... I hate the smell of her cooking mushrooms....

We bought a stainless mess 'pan' that we can use to grill the veggies.... might use them for fish also since the grates have wider spacing than our current one... looking forward to using it more!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Thanks for the info...

DW said we are buying today.... so, went and bought the Genesis 330.... it has the sear burner and side burner... Lowes will build it and deliver it next Friday....
Having it built and delivered =
Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Having it built and delivered =

Even more so when it is FREE
Old 02-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
You live in Texas and don't have a grill?? Who would a thunk it!
Hey, I am a Yankee, but got here as soon as I could. Also, your not a real Texan unless you have a smoker.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #56

Late to the thread, but we own a Weber Spirit 310 and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the info... I looked and could find Ducane at Amazon, but only one model and not quite what I want.... and not much cheaper than a Weber with the same functions....

Went to the Ducane website and they had their 4200 at Lowes, but when you go there it says it is not available anymore...

Your suggestion of going to SS when the first set gets worn out is a good one... I will remember that when it happens...
Oddly, I bought mine from Best Buy online. I don't buy much, from Best Buy but they had a good price on it. But that was 2012.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #58
gone traveling

Quote:
DW said we are buying today.... so, went and bought the Genesis 330....
Great, now you can give your DW one of these for VD:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Valentine.jpg (42.7 KB, 11 views)
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Great, now you can give your DW one of these for VD:
Well, no.... will not get it until next Friday...

Maybe I can fashion my own heart from a steak