Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
So when the old Kenmore finally decides to die in a method I can't fix, I'll get an SQ if they still are the same all electro-mechanical.
Hopefully, they have recognized that the "old school" electromechanical approach is bringing them market share and is their competitive advantage in this crowded field. It would be bad for them (but typical of businesses) if some new management comes in, finds that they can save $15 per unit and integrate "new features the consumers want" if they go with membrane switch panels and computerized controls.

How many different cycles/water temp combinations do most people really use/need to do their laundry? I think we use 3.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had to replace our refrigerator and dishwasher recently. When we saw that the warranties were basically non existent we decided the machines were all in the disposable category. We went with the low end models. I refuse to pay for extended warranties.

I didn't know about Speed Queen washing machines. We bought a new LG washer and dryer when we bought the house 4 years ago. So far they are running problem free. If the washer craps out I'll look into a Speed Queen.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Turns out, its really easy and only cost a $6 part that goes under the agitator.
So if your dependable washer stops agitating, google about it with model # and you could have a cheap repair available.
I did that and it was probably the same thing - part of a ratchet/pawl arrangement to move the agitator. Total was $11 and change including shipping from partsdirect. Shipping was more than the part but anytime I can fix a washing machine for $11 I'm not complaining.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #44

Well, we finally got so frustrated with this state of the art brand new Whirlpool washer and its inability to actually spin a regular load of blue jeans and towels to anything resembling dry enough for the dryer that I contacted Whirlpool service.

After spending a wonderful hour with their telephone service person and reading the model number label and serial number label LOUDER AND LOUDER - "sorry sir but that model number doesn't show up on my computer..." I managed to convince her to send a service request to a local technician. Finally technician came over, ran a few tests and said yup it needs a new motor and motor controller - we'll have to order those. In the meantime he said - "you know that motor is getting so hot in operation I recommend you don't use the washer till we get the new motor installed..."

We'll see what happens next. Probably with my luck the motor (or the controller board) are back ordered and have to come from their factory in Pluto. Not bad for a 1.5 month old washer.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #45

Well, indeed the the parts were coming from Pluto. The motor was backordered and it finally got here last Friday. The repair person called me to schedule the appointment only to call back a little latter to inform me that the motor was damaged in shipment and was unusable. After a lot of unpleasantness we were able to get Sears to take the Whirlpool HE washer back in exchange for a fully manual GE no HE no nothin' machine. I hope it works better. One of those old washing machines with a manual wringer on the side looks awfully good now after using local laundries for a few weeks now. Lots of interesting characters there. Particularly when it's cold outside.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Well, indeed the the parts were coming from Pluto. The motor was backordered and it finally got here last Friday. The repair person called me to schedule the appointment only to call back a little latter to inform me that the motor was damaged in shipment and was unusable. After a lot of unpleasantness we were able to get Sears to take the Whirlpool HE washer back in exchange for a fully manual GE no HE no nothin' machine. I hope it works better. One of those old washing machines with a manual wringer on the side looks awfully good now after using local laundries for a few weeks now. Lots of interesting characters there. Particularly when it's cold outside.

Sounds like our experiences with a highly rated HE Whirpool Sears machine. It finally went out just a few days after the warranty and to fix it was about $800. They said to fix much of anything costs that much on them. We junked it and bought a traditional non electronic Hotpoint and it works fabulously. It only has knobs to turn. Now all our clothes are white again and the wash cycle is 30 mins not 65.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Sounds like our experiences with a highly rated HE Whirpool Sears machine. It finally went out just a few days after the warranty and to fix it was about $800. They said to fix much of anything costs that much on them. We junked it and bought a traditional non electronic Hotpoint and it works fabulously. It only has knobs to turn. Now all our clothes are white again and the wash cycle is 30 mins not 65.
Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Saw my FIL new washer, pretty fancy looking, cost him about $1,100 its a lot like the new GE washer, one of those front load ones, it has a super clean cycle on it. Takes 2.5 hours to wash one load

I'll be always buying topload old fashioned washers for as long as I can
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'll be always buying topload old fashioned washers for as long as I can
So will I after reading about the experiences here. And they'll be available used for decades to come even if manufacturers do stop making them.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #49

2.5 hours? No way!

All of my husband's white tshirts turned beige in the fancy washer, no matter what I did. After about 10 washes in the old style washer, they were back to white.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote