Who brews?!

There are SEVEN craft breweries less than 8 miles from my house.

Then there are literally 50+ pubs within 20 minutes that import hundreds of craft beers from all over the country. At least two of them have 100+ taps.

No reason for me to brew.

There are SEVEN craft breweries less than 8 miles from my house.

Then there are literally 50+ pubs within 20 minutes that import hundreds of craft beers from all over the country. At least two of them have 100+ taps.

No reason for me to brew.

$6 a pint vs. 50 cents. Case closed.

50 cents plus brewing equipment cost plus storage area cost plus labor time plus the odd bad batch.:D

Would be one thing if I went through gallons a week.....

Lots of excellent craft beers out there. I'm not looking to save money, just to do this as a hobby and brew some beers that I enjoy. One of my frustrations has been that I enjoy certain flavors of Stouts which are easy to find in January and February but harder to find in say July or August. So if I could make something that I enjoy I could enjoy it as often as I wanted LOL.

Outside of that, I just thought it might be fun to make my own beers and then as I learn more to experiment with different recipes and flavors. You all gave me a ton of reference to look through. I think I will go out and get a starter kit soon. I will let you know how it goes.

I've always thought the best alternative to brewing was to have a friend with a brewery and compliment him a lot on his beer. Sounds like you've adopted a similar approach. Begging may not be the simplest approach but it can certainly work if your friends are gullible enough. :D

Ahhh! Apparently spellcheck doesn't like kegging. But I think you've outlined my approach. I just never thought of it as begging. I do tend to drink a lot of my BIL's beer now.

Now that I think about it, I better stop by the LHBS and pick up some supplies before I visit him this weekend.

50 cents plus brewing equipment cost plus storage area cost plus labor time plus the odd bad batch.:D

You can pay for basic equipment with a few batches. I bought most of my equipment over a decade ago and it has paid for itself many times over. If I have a bad batch every 5 years it is a lot. Ymmv.

Well, I encouraged the OP to start this thread, I oughta join it (been distracted recently). More home brewers here than I was aware of, fun ...

You can pay for basic equipment with a few batches. I bought most of my equipment over a decade ago and it has paid for itself many times over. If I have a bad batch every 5 years it is a lot. Ymmv.

Regarding the $/hour labor - I'm not about to put myself in a position where people pay me by the hour (would require a commitment, no thanks), so I'm not giving up anything to invest 4 hours in a brew day. This comment comes up in the beer forums, among working stiffs. But unless you actually turned down overtime, or some other opportunity that was provided, you can't put a $/hr figure on the time you spend on a hobby.

My equipment costs are super low. I do full-grain mashes (I hate the term "all-grain", because the modern extracts are made 100% from grain too, nothing wrong with extract). But I just use two 3.5 Gallon buckets and two 5 gallon paint strainer bags for the mash. Then 'dunk-sparge' into two 5 gallon pots (one a hand-me-down, one I bought for ~ $30) on the stove (two burners makes it easier to boil a 5 gallon batch). A plastic bucket for the fermentor. Don't bother with the glass carboy - that's really only needed if you want to do some bulk aging - and you can age in the bottle/keg. I bottle/keg directly from the primary fermentor after ~ 3 weeks. Minimal handling. And easy.

But what I get a kick out of, most hobbies are a $ sink. This one at least pays for itself, and likely saves $. An extra bonus. So between me and DW, we would go through ~ 2 cases a month, maybe more. So that's ~ $45 if I can find cases of craft beer I like, but some/most of that would be $9 six-packs, so more like $72. But a brew costs me ~ $30, for two cases - more/less depending on hops/yeast mostly. Cheaper all the way around, and I have fun brewing something I find interesting. On the brew list is a juniper-mango ale. Not easy to find, is it? I had one at The Hop Leaf - a limited run batch collaboration between a Finnish brewery ( the juniper component), and a tropical brewery (the mango component), so now I want to do something similar.

I started in the 80's with a kit DW bought for me (beautiful - I can always use her as the 'excuse' for my 'addiction'!). Gave up in the 90's as I got busy with life. Picked it up again when I retired. The internet happened in between. Night and day difference. Most of the stuff I 'learned' in the 80's was wrong or unneeded. Back then, you were told to get the wort/beer off the yeast after a week, and into the glass carboy - but not only was that not needed, it caused problems, as often the yeast hadn't finished up yet, and now there wasn't enough yeast to get the job done. Turns out, simple is often better.

-ERD50

My equipment costs are super low. I do full-grain mashes...
Brew in bag wasn't as popular and documented when I started. My system is all gravity and it uses two turkey fryer kits and an insulated beverage cooler. Most of the equipment did not come from brewing places...just Wally World or the hardware store. But I did get some silicone tubing (heat resistant) from eBay and valve hardware from Bargain Fittings.

The beer costs only $0.50 at the tap room. The other $5.50 is for the witty conversation and ambiance :cool: Really, for the tap rooms I go to, I don't mind paying because they brew on very small systems and I've known them for years (from the home brew club). There are a few local tap rooms where they just barged into town, no local ties, but I don't go to those as often.

Brew in bag wasn't as popular and documented when I started. My system is all gravity and it uses two turkey fryer kits and an insulated beverage cooler. Most of the equipment did not come from brewing places...just Wally World or the hardware store. But I did get some silicone tubing (heat resistant) from eBay and valve hardware from Bargain Fittings.

Nice set up. But just to be clear, I'm not actually doing "Brew in a Bag" (BIAB on the brewing forums), I'm doing a variant - "Mash in a Bag", or actually two bags, as I split everything from mash through boil, so I can do it in the kitchen with two pots and two burners. No propane burner required.

With BIAB, you need a very large pot, as it has to hold all your grain, and all your water.

With my Mash-in-a-Bag process, my grain goes in the bags with roughly half the water (the 'first runnings'), and I use two 3.5 gallon buckets for that (mash water heated in the two brew pots). These buckets are small enough to fit in my oven, which I pre-heat to 200 F and shut off, so the mash holds temperature well.

While the mash is taking place, I heat the remaining water (the 'sparge', or 'second runnings' water) in my two brew pots.

At the end of the mash time, I lift the grain bags out, let them drain a bit, and then 'dunk sparge' them in the brew pots. After I've stirred them well to rinse out the sugars, I remove the grain bag, and then add the first runnings from the plastic bucket. I'll get another quart from the bags that have been set aside in a bucket, and add that a bit later. Then on to the boil, split across the two pots and two burners.

No propane and extra burner to deal with, which I like (my gas grill is plumbed for NG).

I might be able to do BIAB with those pots, didn't do the volume calculations yet, but then I'd have to worry about keeping them warm during the mash, and maybe scorching if I tried to heat them.

To each their own, lotsa ways to go about it, but Mash-in-a-Bag and split mash/sparge/boil suits me, and is really a minimal amount of equipment (if you can call plastic buckets scrounged from a local bakery 'equipment').

I also do "no-chill" so no investment in immersion or counter-flow chillers either, and nothing to clean. I'm a lazy brewer.

-ERD50

I do this, and it really does make a big difference. I most recently used peat smoked barley to make scotch ale.

It's actually a myth that peat smoke is used in Scottish Ales or "Scotch Ales". From the 2015 BJCP guidelines:

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

14. SCOTTISH ALE

14A. Scottish Light .... The malt character can range from dry and grainy to rich, toasty, and caramelly, but is never roasty and especially never has a peat smoke character. ... The malt-hop balance tilts toward malt. Peat smoke is inappropriate.

Characteristic Ingredients: ... Peat smoked malt is inauthentic and inappropriate.

They repeat these comments for all the subcategories of Scottish Ale (14A. Scottish Light, 14B. Scottish Heavy, 14C. Scottish Export), and also for a “Strong Scotch Ale”, which is now in category 17C, a sub-category of 17. STRONG BRITISH ALE.

17C. Wee Heavy ... Also known as “strong Scotch ale.” ... Peated malt is absolutely not traditional. ...

That said, one of the great things about home-brewing is that if you enjoy your brew with some peat smoked barley, then that is how you should brew your beer! I rarely brew to style myself, but I find the historic and documented style guides to be important "goal posts" for reference, and respect them for what they are. In my mind, if I brew something based on a style, but not to style, I will call it out as such, like "My twist on a such-and-such base". If I use the style name for it, without the added info, then I'm really not communicating, as that name has a meaning to serious and semi-serious brewers/drinkers.

-ERD50

If I use the style name for it, without the added info, then I'm really not communicating, as that name has a meaning to serious and semi-serious brewers/drinkers.

-ERD50

As should be evident, I am neither a serious nor a semi-serious brewer/drinker. If I had to consult some rule book every time I wanted to describe beer, it would be work, not fun.

Last edited:
As should be evident, I am neither a serious nor a semi-serious brewer/drinker. If I had to consult some rule book every time I wanted to describe beer, it would be work, not fun.

Well, if you are taking the time to brew, that rates as at least semi-serious to me!

For many of us, what makes a style a style is part of the fun. It has a lot to do with the local water and grains, local climate, history and just preferences. Taxes figured into it too (they seem to work their way into everything!).

-ERD50

as a self proclaimed liquor critic, I would be willing to critique anyone's home brew. simply send me a few bottles and I'll post my thoughts.:dance::dance:

Back
Top Bottom