Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Declutter is a matter of opinion. We have organized junk that we haven't touched in years. It sits there in nice boxes gathering dust, spider webs and homes for insect wildlife. I suspect it will all go to a dumpster when we die.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #42

^^^ That's really the stage I want to reach, minus the insects. And if a box isn't totally full, there's no harm in adding something else that you'd probably throw away if it took up useful space. I used to have my steel shelves full of loose things, then several years ago I organized everything in boxes. I want to be all set to move without doing much packing and I want to make cleaning easier.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We used to be guilty, but after serious (and profitable) decluttering a few years ago, we’ve conquered clutter! After decluttering and finding all sorts of things we’d forgotten we even had, we simply decided we wouldn’t buy anything without throwing out something in kind (or better yet 2-3 items), where we used to keep the old “just in case.”

We used to buy all sorts of single purpose specialty items like a left handed bagel cutter anymore. Now we’re always looking for more versatility in everything we buy, not less - single purpose items are a no go nowadays for us.

I have one full sized bookcase, and I won’t buy a book without throwing one out to make room. Similar with closets, cabinets, etc. throughout the house. I have X number of nice hangers, so if I buy a new clothes item, something else has to go. I had about 15 winter coats (for no reason), I pared it back to 5 - all I’d ever need. I have one file cabinet period. We have storage shelves for what we need, don’t expect to buy any more, we’re determined to fit within what we have.

As long as you maintain the discipline as you go instead of relying on periodic purges, it’s not hard to avoid clutter IME.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a related, but also opposite, problem.

I both dislike clutter and dislike disposing of things, so I simply avoid acquiring things. I only buy something if really need it and can rationalize that I will make full use of it on a regular basis. The problem is that I avoid buying things that allow me to explore new interests out of fear that I may no use them long term and thus they will become clutter and I will have to dispose of them.

Lately I’ve been trying to make a plan for disposing of things before I buy them. For example, I recently bought a somewhat specialized power tool that will me try some experiments. I figure if those experiments fail, or are boring, or I lose interest, I can donate the tool to the local maker space.

I actually considered simply buying it and immediately donating it, but tools get broken pretty often there and I want to be able to use it for at least awhile.
idledancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm almost constantly on the look out for things that are not used and not needed. Occasionally, I'll go on a "crusade" (family description) against entropy. Unfortunately, my wife is tenacious and I often lose. Still, our clutter is much less than it might be.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #46
gone traveling

I started probably 10 yrs ago getting RID of stuff, my 40 yrs of work clothes are gone, WHY, hold on to them....Circulate and others can have some new treasures...

I live inn 700 sq ft apt and got rid of a lot but still have a lot....

Even started giving my artwork to friends and even strangers who like my work....LET GO and give others some pleasure is what I say.....
jam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Husband goes through stuff in our storeroom and lists on Craigslist. It is amazing what sells.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

2005 Katrina. Left with what would fit in a Chevy 1/2 ton.

2012 Hired a crew of five to empty my 3 bedroom 'leave it to Beaver' suburban ranch when I married no. 2.

2018 Had a everything goes Farm Auction after DW's older Brother passed.

Yet.

Clutter marches on! You can't win even though we try not to buy 'stuff.'

Heh heh heh - 'Resistance is futile' to use the Borg quote from the TV series.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I’d probably have clutter creep if I hadn’t relocated so often. It’s such a pain to move. Because I didn’t want to keep dragging old stuff with me everywhere, I have developed almost an anti-hoarder mentality. If I am in the middle of cleaning and/or moving, if I haven’t used something since my last move then it’s probably going to be tossed.
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #50

I've found time and time again that my junk is someones treasure so it's not to hard to get rid of stuff that's just taking up space I don't need. Having said that I have a lot of stuff that I don't use. I am planning to downsize and I sure as heck am not taking it with me. I'd be happy to walk out of my current home with nothing and get all new stuff, that's what i did last time I moved, I sold or gave almost everything away, it was very liberating. You can sell anything if you price it low enough on Facebook. I list the item with good pictures and I list it cheap. If there is no interest then I list it for free, that usually works. If still nothing then donation to Goodwill or finally the dump. I sold a dog house on Facebook for $10, i had over 100 messages within an hour on that one.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

We retired, sold our home, and downsized into an 8x8x16 contained. Then traveled for a year.

This did wonders for our de cluttering goal. Seven years later we still have boxes that we have not opened and things such as china that we do not use and our children do not want.

Since then, we are very careful about clutter. We have no intention of buying things for $100 just so that we can sell them at a garage sale for $10.

We downsized our home and our life. What we have come to realize is that a great many of our former possessions were quite meaningless to our overall quality of life and enjoyment.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

That's called having an exit strategy. It took me years to learn that concept, and not just about household items

When I look back, I don't regret the risks I took, even though they didn't all turn out well. I only regret that I didn't have an exit strategy for the ones that fell through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idledancer View Post

Lately I’ve been trying to make a plan for disposing of things before I buy them. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I find it interesting that so many people (here and elsewhere) say this, when it isn't at all how I feel about stuff. Just an indication of how we are all different!

I guess that even though we have a lot of possessions, we never bought much on impulse. Mostly, we spent time wishing we had that item; or admired someone else's, and knew we'd love it too.

Basically, we get rid of things that have worn out or are not worth fixing. I hated getting rid of all our framed art prints when we moved recently, since they are no longer cheap to buy, as they were in the 90s. But faded prints aren't too appealing, either.

One thing I am working on is better organization so as to make it easier to keep everything clean. May post another thread on that topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
W

Since then, we are very careful about clutter. We have no intention of buying things for $100 just so that we can sell them at a garage sale for $10.

We downsized our home and our life. What we have come to realize is that a great many of our former possessions were quite meaningless to our overall quality of life and enjoyment.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think you went above and beyond. Any heir who expects the benefactors to cull the bequest, while still alive and able to enjoy it, doesn't deserve to inherit.

Not in this thread, but the tone of moral outrage to be found on Internet discussions of "death cleaning" etc. strikes me as bizaare. When did we suddenly grow almost incapable of dealing with parents' estates, as children have done since forever?

Digging deeper, one often finds that the "burdened" heirs are merely mad because parents or grandparents didn't have nice enough stuff. OK, piles of hoarded filth that is actually full of pests - that's a legitimate gripe, about anybody. But mostly it's just whining.

If you personally love to be uncluttered, get rid of your clutter. If you enjoy your possessions, enjoy them. Life is too short.
Remember "stuff" is not worth what it used to bring.

When I cleaned out mom's house over 20 years ago even after letting the family take what they want I still cleared ~$30,000 from the contents...mostly from the furniture.

When I cleared out my aunt's house (furnished much the same as mom's) a couple of years ago after the family took what they wanted I cleared maybe $300...most of the household contents I had to give away or pay to have hauled to the dump.

My in-laws recently refurnished their formal dining room with gorgeous, looks-like-new solid cherry pieces (table, sideboards, buffets, chairs, etc.) from the local "Habitat for Humanity" store for a song...when they pass my wife & I will just have to hope some charity will come & take it all off our hands.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

When I cleaned out mom's house over 20 years ago even after letting the family take what they want I still cleared ~$30,000 from the contents...mostly from the furniture.

When I cleared out my aunt's house (furnished much the same as mom's) a couple of years ago after the family took what they wanted I cleared maybe $300...most of the household contents I had to give away or pay to have hauled to the dump.

My in-laws recently refurnished their formal dining room with gorgeous, looks-like-new solid cherry pieces (table, sideboards, buffets, chairs, etc.) from the local "Habitat for Humanity" store for a song...when they pass my wife & I will just have to hope some charity will come & take it all off our hands.
I have tried in vain to get my daughter to look at good used solid wood furniture instead of heading out to IKEA. I just don’t get why she doesn’t see the value. Just a small example, me and DW each have a very nice teak desk. Those desks used to sell at places like House of Denmark for several hundred to a thousand dollars. Solid wood, minimalist design, just want we wanted. We both paid $100 an DW even got a side table with hers. Both were from people moving and getting rid of their stuff. Their loss, our gain. Probably a win win. Mine has some scratches on the top but could easily and cheaply be refinished if I cared. DW’s is in great shape.

Same thing with dining room chairs. DD wanted some new chairs. I’ve shown her some nice sets online for a few hundred dollars. She barks back “I don’t need a table”. Of course, the chairs alone would be a great deal and then just toss the table. No good, she just ain’t buying. Oh well.

It’s a shame that good Solid wood furniture is going into the dumps.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

I've probably told this story before. A friend/co-worker had a bad breakup and moved out taking nothing except his clothes...although it was mostly her stuff anyway so no real loss. I rented him a spare room in my house for 3 or 4 weeks until he found a rental. He then went to an estate sale and for $900 or so he bought living room furniture, dining room table, coffee table, dressers, a couple beds, etc. He gradually replaced it all over a couple years by buying stuff he liked that was on sale, both new and used.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Nine years ago when we downsized I sold half of our furniture. I have found I don’t want to dust a bunch of stuff so my curio cabinet and bookcase went recently. I don’t need physical books when I have kindle. I have found that less looks a lot better. I only kept the decorations that I really love. I also got rid of some pictures and bought a few new ones. I am very particular about what I buy now. No single use kitchen items. I emptied the closet in my guest bedroom and got rid of almost all of it. I really wish I could get my husband to let go of stuff. His son has tried to tell him when he dies it’s going in a dumpster. He can never find anything in his areas.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #58
gone traveling

My wife is much more of a pack rat inside the house with craft projects, puzzles, books, and decorations.

I am not the neatest in my shop, and barns where I have extra equipment, tools, and unfinished projects. I do regular, organizing days to regain some sanity though.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I have tried in vain to get my daughter to look at good used solid wood furniture instead of heading out to IKEA. I just don’t get why she doesn’t see the value. Just a small example, me and DW each have a very nice teak desk. Those desks used to sell at places like House of Denmark for several hundred to a thousand dollars. Solid wood, minimalist design, just want we wanted. We both paid $100 an DW even got a side table with hers. Both were from people moving and getting rid of their stuff. Their loss, our gain. Probably a win win. Mine has some scratches on the top but could easily and cheaply be refinished if I cared. DW’s is in great shape.

Same thing with dining room chairs. DD wanted some new chairs. I’ve shown her some nice sets online for a few hundred dollars. She barks back “I don’t need a table”. Of course, the chairs alone would be a great deal and then just toss the table. No good, she just ain’t buying. Oh well.

It’s a shame that good Solid wood furniture is going into the dumps.

I’m surprised that the minimalist design is going so cheap. IME, the older antiques I grew up with, that my parents still have, are the things you can barely give away. They honestly think they’re sitting on a fortune and it would break their hearts to know what we’ll end up doing to get rid of their things. The royal dux statues alone!

In contrast, here it’s the good quality mid century modern/Scandinavian design that is bringing in the bigger $ now. I sold a set of two MCM chairs in horrible condition—needed completely recovered—for $2k. Tastes have changed a lot.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #60

As far as couples go, it seems like the usual combo is one person with hoarder tendencies, and one without (60%). 20% have both people being hoarders, and 20% have both people being non-hoarders. Just my observation. Opposites attract?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote