Join Early Retirement Today

Who Has Met Whom?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Who Has Met Whom?

astomeria's post that she met mcclesters today got me wondering. Who on the forum has met other forum members? I suspect it is a relatively rare occurance, but it does happen. I recall someone saying they met JG for coffee, but they probably won't own up to it now.

FYI, I tried to meet Martha and Greg (Apocolypse..) when they were vacationing in the area but they bypassed me by a couple hundred miles for some reason... :

So let's have it...whom do you know?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who Has Met Whom?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan on meeting "ARIF" in Panama for two weeks in July.* He will be showing me around and possibly helping me relocate with my family.*

We talk on the phone all the time and send e-mails, we are like long lost brothers.* Our wifes have talked and they get along really well as well.* *Our sons are the same age (and from the sounds in the backround during our conversations) the same temperment .* *All of us are really exited...It's been a hell of an experience so far and only proves to be more entertaining in the near future.*

My family, for one, is extremely thankfull for this board, it has provided us with opportunities that we could have never imagined and allowed us to meet "like minded" people our own age, that would otherwise be lost in the shuffle.*

Thanks all who made this board happen.
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I had the pleasure of meeting ESR Bob at his excellent presentation in SF for "Work Less, Live More".* From chatting with and observing the crowd that night, Bob has hit a nerve out there with the ER concept.* His articulate and friendly presentation didn't hurt either.* We had a chance to chat briefly afterward.* I exchanged a used dryer sheet for his signature in my book.* Hmmm, who got the better end of that deal?*

I walked away thinking, gee I'd love to sit down and have lunch with that guy sometime.... so if you're back out here, Bob, lunch is on me.*
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I went to Thailand, I met Lancelot for an enjoyable dinner in Bangkok and spent some time with Billy and Akaisha while I was in Chiang Mai.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #5

I think I've been meeting fellow Minnesota members in Trader Joes the last couple days. Maybe If I wore something with an ER Forum logo on it we would know it
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #6

I run into SG sometimes. He's amazing.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
I run into SG sometimes. He's amazing.
He doesn't post here anymore. He quit posting around that "Jennifer" day. Must've P.O.'ed him or something.

I don't think I've met anyone from the forum. Seems like there's somebody else in Indianapolis, but not many. I'll be back in DFW after early June, so I'll be around a few members.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #8

Not from this board but the Vanguard diehards have a large forum and have spun off local meetings and a national meeting. I missed the national but the local meetings are better than the web site, well, the beer and ability to cross examine each other is better.
This board is fairly dispersed but there are probably enough folks in specific regions (like northern or southern California) that a local meeting could be set up. It would have to be pitched as a lot of fun, certainly no one is looking to do anything that feels like work..
Old 05-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I admit it... I met JG...

BMJ, maybe when you get to DFW, you can buy me a Shiner bock; JG was too cheap... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've met Nords while on business in Hawaii a couple of times, the most laid back dude on the planet! We shouldn't allow the masses to meet him, otherwise we'd be tripping over wannabe early retirees, and we need social security shored up!

Met Cube_Rat (with spouses present, calm down guys). When we left lunch, my wife turned to me and said, "Wow, she's really pretty!" I of course said, "really, I hadn't noticed." Which was met with the evil eye and a shot to the ribs.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Mmmm hmm...I've regularly used the line "I dont really notice women anymore since we got married". I dont think she believes me.

I mentioned to Laurence once that I used to regularly meet people from online communities but the differences between what people were like online and in the real world were often too dramatic. Kinda ruined it for me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Mmmm hmm...I've regularly used the line "I dont really notice women anymore since we got married". I dont think she believes me.

I mentioned to Laurence once that I used to regularly meet people from online communities but the differences between what people were like online and in the real world were often too dramatic. Kinda ruined it for me.
You mean, when the young girls would show up in police uniform and have really broad shoulders?
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Agree. Not that I'm against meeting; I just don't expect it to be a continuation or enhancement of the online experience. It's starting over and meeting someone new.

(Actually I'm just trying to get out of buing HFWR a Shiner....oh, all right. On tap, though...it's better that way.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The physical aspects are usually not the worst part of it

One guy used to write incredible posts, but only one or two a day. Really intelligent, thought provoking, brilliant, well thought out stuff.

When I ran into him at the web site owners house one day, he couldnt have been any different from the mental picture I think we all had of him. Looked like the current Phil Spector photos...old guy with a big white afro, chain smoker, twitchy, couldnt make eye contact, barely got out one or two words at a time. Seemed to have a lot of trouble having a coherent intelligent conversation.

And of course, every discussion group hottie always turns out to be a walrus with a moustache (male OR female), about two weeks away from the most recent shower. :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
You mean, when the young girls would show up in police uniform and have really broad shoulders?
I'm afraid I cant appreciate your fantasies, but whatever works for you

Now young girls in police uniforms with handcuffs...that might work...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, maybe since my first two real-person meet ups went so well, I wanted to have an ER board convention! *I figured next February, when most everyone is still plowing snow and I'm firing up the BBQ I could have a bunch of you all over for steaks and some local brews. *CFB can treat us to some culinary delights, C-T can bring some choice wines, I'll have the kegerator and fooseball table ready to go, jacuzzi fired up, and we can all talk about the sacrifices of LBYM! *
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #17

I've always assumed that a small or medium group would work better than a one-on-one meeting, and avoid a lot of the potential for uncomfortable situations while allowing people who might not have expected to be the best real-life matches to find each other.

I've only met a couple of people from online groups, and I was surprised that they were actually very much like their online personas -- in some ways almost a more perfect version of what I'd expected. Of course, they were only a very few select people whom I'd already got good indications on, and not just people whose posts I was slightly familiar with.

A while ago I listened to one of those shock-jock testosterone-filled sports radio call-in shows, and they had a big meet-up for all the listeners. I only went to observe, but it was really funny matching the people with the on-air personalities. There were definitely a lot of incongruities there....
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Actually, maybe since my first two real-person meet ups went so well, I wanted to have an ER board convention! I figured next February, when most everyone is still plowing snow and I'm firing up the BBQ I could have a bunch of you all over for steaks and some local brews.
DH has a sister down that way, maybe we'll plan our next trip down in Feb (or early March, that's DH's jump date) to coincide with the convention!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
big white afro, chain smoker, twitchy, couldnt make eye contact, barely got out one or two words at a time.*
Boy, Astro, glad you didn't describe me that way!*
I think Astro seemed to be just as she acts online...cool, smart, articulate, and very engaged with the world.* I will admit being more nervous than at my last job interview when I was going to meet her--but she was so gracious my nerves went away!* What a meal, what a beautiful garden, and such an interesting and varied life story!* I am so glad we've met--and any of the rest of you coming through Charleston for vacation or even considering a relocation, please let me know--if y'all are half as cool as Astro, it will be great!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Perfect, Poway is a stone's throw away!