Who has the longest tenure being a pre-early retiree

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I retired back in 2003, but went back to work and then retired again due to a layoff in 2006 and then went back to work yet again. This will be my last year in tne workforce (maybe;)), so no continuous run as a pre-retiree for me.

I am wondering who on this board has been a member of the forum as a pre-retiree for the longest period of time?

Not me. Just 35 months after joining the forum I turned my dream into my reality.

On the other hand, I lurked for several years before joining but that probably doesn't count. :D

Not me. Just 35 months after joining the forum I turned my dream into my reality.

On the other hand, I lurked for several years before joining but that probably doesn't count. :D

No, lurking doesn't count.

Just to put a stake in the ground, I guess my longest uninterrupted period would be 4.5 years.

I did it the other way around, I joined 4 years after I retired !

I retired in May 1999 (@39+) so this has been 13 years of ER for me.

I'm guessing that a "pre-retiree" is someone who retired and then went back to work. Many women "retire" when they give birth to a child, then go back to work when the child/ren is/are older. Does that count?

I am wondering who on this board has been a member of the forum as a pre-retiree for the longest period of time?
Do you really want to get competitive about the "Just one more year!!" prize?!?

I did it the other way around, I joined 4 years after I retired !

Like you arky, I did it the other way around and I know that the thread isn't looking for this but had to "one up" you. Joined the forum in 2008 after retiring in 1988. Actually got my first personal computer in 1988, a Tandy from Radio Shack. Don't remember the Early Retirement forum being around then.

I don't know who's keep score but I'm still not retired. I decided shortly after joining the forum that I'm FI but I must admit 2008 and 2009 scared the crap out of me. I'm currently targeting for late this year but I could easily fall into the "one more year" trap. What I'm doing pays well, there's no stress and I get 5 wks PTO with the ability to take unpaid.

Maybe the "winner" should be expelled. :cool:

Last edited:
Do you really want to get competitive about the "Just one more year!!" prize?!?

I don't want to win that prize, but Nords, are you declaring victory:D

When I first retired, I must admit mentally I wasn't prepared for it. At the time, I got excited over what was supposedly the last favorable voluntary buyout my megacorp would offer and jumped on it. I've been FI since then, however, with DD finishing up her college degree at a private school it kept me working. Unfortunately that college expense has consumed most of my after tax $s and I hate to tap the IRA/401K to pay for it and thereby give uncle sam more tax $s by pushing me into a higher bracket. I had budgeted state college, but got private instead. If I eased up on some of my mid-life crises spends, it wouldn't have become an issue for me. Its probably a bit silly to not retire now and pay for her school out of my IRA, but thats my mindset.

I ERed in late 2008 but did not know about or join this forum until late 2009.

Nords is already retired so he's not eligible unless we consider his book/blog to be "employment." I suspect he isn't exactly rolling in the big bucks doing this. :)

I think Ed the Gypsy has me beat by a little.

Does goofing off for nearly 2 years in late 20s count. Did not consider it retirement, however, quit j*b, sold house, packed stuff in a motorhome and bummed around the USA for almost two years. Visited all the lower 48 states. Returned to the east coast. Had several j*bs, then finally retired. 5 more days then it will be 5 years.

Time flies when you are having fun.

Not me, but you might have to match dates with Rich_in_Tampa.

I was retired before I even discovered this board,and I lurked for over a year before I finally posted the question: "This is too easy... am I missing something?"

Based on number of posts, Ziggy might be a contender for longest on here but not retired.

I joined in July 2006 and will retire in 2014 (maybe) or 2017 (probably). That's definitely a delay from my initial goal, but the behaviour of the markets and the absence of a pension have spooked me. :(

I'm sure there are some who've been here longer, but I think I got here in 2006. Still planning to FIRE when DH retires from the military in mid-2015, in no small part thanks to the crowd here!

Edit - I see it was Jan 2007...

I was layed off, canned, made redundant, etc Jan 93. Was an unemployed slacker. Did some temp work (jobshopper) 95, 96 about a year in total. Took my first pension check in Aug 98 (age 55).

When I found this forum surfing with my trusty WebTV I became a super duper ER and received a 'real computer' for Christmas.

Almost as good when I was 11 and got my first BB gun!

heh heh heh - :dance: ;).

I was layed off, canned, made redundant, etc Jan 93. Was an unemployed slacker. Did some temp work (jobshopper) 95, 96 about a year in total. Took my first pension check in Aug 98 (age 55).

When I found this forum surfing with my trusty WebTV I became a super duper ER and received a 'real computer' for Christmas.

Almost as good when I was 11 and got my first BB gun!

heh heh heh - :dance: ;).

LOL, unclemick, you are certainly a long tenured ERer. I do miss your posts about norweign widow stocks and psst Wellsley.

Shoot, this is one contest I don't want to win. I joined in 2004 but had been lurking for quite a while before. I am hoping to retire in 2013.

Back
Top Bottom