Join Early Retirement Today

Who Invented the Internet
Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who Invented the Internet

Despite Algore's fictitious claims, see:

Who invented the Internet?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your claim that Al Gore made that fictitious claim you claim is fiction.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Al Gore Invented the Internet

In other words, he never said that. It's yet another right-wing lie that was repeated over and over until people believed it.

Or did you know that and were you making a funny?
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

"I took the initiative in creating the internet" Al Gore
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" the Bible

Both right-wing lies repeated over and over until people believed it?

Or were you making a funny?
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Your claim that Al Gore made that fictitious claim you claim is fiction.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Al Gore Invented the Internet

In other words, he never said that. It's yet another right-wing lie that was repeated over and over until people believed it.
Yeah, but it irritates liberals.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #5

It works. Count me irritated.

Haven't Republicans got better things to do than attack a candidate from EIGHT YEARS AGO? [ooops.. just looked at the R candidate lineup.. guess not]. Are the Democrats wasting time on Bob-Dole-bashing? Sheesh. Give it a rest.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
It works. Count me irritated.
How about the "Al Gore Cost Recovery tax", is that a figment of my imagination?

It appears not, I seem to be paying that tax to the phone company every month..........

I don't care if he invented the Internet or not, his tax is making his phone company buddies rich............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here's a prime example of a thread that should be shot in the face.

Old news, incorrect assumptions, misstatements, no value, no new learning, nothing remotely worth discussing to create any interesting new perspective.

Like I said, you know it when you see it.

Just something designed to piss off 48-52% of the readers.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #8

OK, I read the article. I knew some of the stuff but I found the chronological order of when things were created interesting. I also followed the 'Related Question: I thought Al Gore invented the Internet'

The following is a quote from that link:
A term coined by Vice President Albert Gore when giving a speech January 11, 1994 to describe a future of computers accessing and communicating over a world-wide network. Later during a CNN interview, Gore stated "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." This statement helped spark the belief that Al Gore invented the Internet.

So Al did not say he invented the INTERNET, but he sure appears to be taking credit for helping to create it, unless this is miss-quoted
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Here's a prime example of a thread that should be shot in the face.

Old news, incorrect assumptions, misstatements, no value, no new learning, nothing remotely worth discussing to create any interesting new perspective.

Like I said, you know it when you see it.

Just something designed to piss off 48-52% of the readers.
You got it right, CFB..........

Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #10

I suggest that we put this thread in a "lockbox" and move along
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #11

Agreed everything after post 1, so far, has little value. However, the link in post 1 is a good history of how this thing came about.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
OK, I read the article. I knew some of the stuff but I found the chronological order of when things were created interesting. I also followed the 'Related Question: I thought Al Gore invented the Internet'

The following is a quote from that link:
A term coined by Vice President Albert Gore when giving a speech January 11, 1994 to describe a future of computers accessing and communicating over a world-wide network. Later during a CNN interview, Gore stated "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." This statement helped spark the belief that Al Gore invented the Internet.

So Al did not say he invented the INTERNET, but he sure appears to be taking credit for helping to create it, unless this is miss-quoted
Yeah, and a decade or more ago Biden plagarized a speech and when i was a kid i was caught shoplifting a squirtgun. So are these all critical data points to be kept front and center?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Noooo but Algore's call for a carbon tax on all the rich countries is a bit much considering his life style . After all if he advocates most of the modern word returning to energy consumption levels of the 19th century to reduce C02 he should be setting the example as opposed to his consumption of resources by flying around in his jet and living in a house that consumes massive amounts of energy. Buying carbon offsets is bogus just live the life style you preach for the rest of us.

Oh yea I forgot he"s a liberal he doesn't have to do as he says because he's better than the rest of us.

one of these days I'll tell you how I really feel
Old 12-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
Noooo but Algore's call for a carbon tax on all the rich countries is a bit much considering his life style . After all if he advocates most of the modern word returning to energy consumption levels of the 19th century to reduce C02 he should be setting the example as opposed to his consumption of resources by flying around in his jet and living in a house that consumes massive amounts of energy. Buying carbon offsets is bogus just live the life style you preach for the rest of us.

Oh yea I forgot he"s a liberal he doesn't have to do as he says because he's better than the rest of us.

one of these days I'll tell you how I really feel
Remember when Clinton was called "Count Taxula", and his faithful companion was "ALGORE"

Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #15

Transcript: Vice President Gore on CNN's 'Late Edition' - March 9, 1999
1999 CNN interview
Gore gave an interview for CNN's Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer on 9 March 1999 in which he stated,
“During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

"Created"? --- "Invented"? Different meanings? Maybe we need another discussion aliong the lines of "it depends on what the meaning of 'is' is".
Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree that this thread is going nowhere, because no one's mind will be changed, but I'm cranky today so I can't pass this up.
FinanceDude said:
"Remember when Clinton was called "Count Taxula", and his faithful companion was "ALGORE""

Remember when our national budget was in balance and our national debt was declining? http://zfacts.com/p/318.html
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Remember when our national budget was in balance and our national debt was declining? http://zfacts.com/p/318.html
Taxes help a lot with that.........

Look at AMT....the Republicans are trying to get rid of it entirely, and the Dems are pushing hard to keep it. Why? It's a big moneymaker.

Also, it is NOT a tax on the "rich". Millions and millions of taxpayers are getting hit each year when they never had it before...........

Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Well, hold on to your hats, but I will actually come to Al Gore's defense on this one. I think he gets a bad rap on this. No satire either.

I think he could have chosen his words more carefully, but I sure wouldn't want every phrase I've uttered to be held under a microscope. AFAIK, the phrase 'moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important' is pretty accurate. I think the 'I took the initiative in creating the internet' is overstating things and poorly worded, but this was a verbal interview right - not a prepared, written statement? I think he deserves to be cut some slack - seriously.

Now, when you put words down in a book and promote the heck out of that book.... *those* are words that should hold up under inspection

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Look at AMT....the Republicans are trying to get rid of it entirely, and the Dems are pushing hard to keep it. Why? It's a big moneymaker.

Also, it is NOT a tax on the "rich". Millions and millions of taxpayers are getting hit each year when they never had it before...........
When the AMT was first setup in 1969 it was intended to keep 155 super-wealthy families from paying -0- tax due to various tax code provisions. Now, because it was never indexed to inflation, it is on track to snare 20+ some million.

Interesting to note the Senate just shot down House Chairman Wrangel's version of bill 88-5, and sent the matter back to House. Wrangel was on record against the Senate version just passed which gives another year AMT relief to the millions of middle class taxpayers who would otherwise have to pay it.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
When the AMT was first setup in 1969 it was intended to keep 155 super-wealthy families from paying -0- tax due to various tax code provisions. Now, because it was never indexed to inflation, it is on track to snare 20+ some million.

Interesting to note the Senate just shot down House Chairman Wrangel's version of bill 88-5, and sent the matter back to House. Wrangel was on record against the Senate version just passed which gives another year AMT relief to the millions of middle class taxpayers who would otherwise have to pay it.
If Congress does not act fast, they will have to move the April 15th date out a couple months.......