Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you ambidextrous?
Yes 12 31.58%
No 26 68.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maria Sharapova is a celeb who is ambidextrous. She serves right handed, then in mid-point sometimes switches to a left-handed forehand.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Both?

As a little girl, I was naturally left handed but in those days, it was considered best to force left handed children to write and do other things with their right hand instead. My parents and teachers went with that approach, since my older brother was allowed to remain left handed and it had been a problem for him since it's a right handed world. So anyway, I was never allowed to be left handed.

As I grew older, I was very ambidextrous as a child and teenager, and that was an AMAZING help when playing piano. Pieces that were difficult for my friends at the conservatory to play, were so easy for me.

In my 20's and 30's I experienced some severe neurological problems which were diagnosed but deemed incurable. Among other symptoms, my left hand and arm were severely affected with both sensory impairment and spastic paralysis. But by now (age 71), my left arm and hand have partially recovered over the years. At present the level of disability in them has lessened and is no longer perceptible to other people any more, although I still have to use my right hand and arm more than my left. Actually the neurological problem just puts me on the same level as those who have been right handed all along.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

It's so much easier to keep the knife in 1 hand and the fork in the other and eat.

There are a lot of (more practical) instances where using ambidextrous can be advantageous. A few weeks ago, I was cutting down tree branches. There was one that I can only saw off using my left hand. I think it took a lot more time than if I were to use my right hand. How about raising our children to be ambidextrous at a rule? They will thank their parents later left and right .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #24

I fall into the sort of camp. I believe I am a natural left hander. However, my older brothers were right handed. So most of my sports gear was right handed, thus right handed. My dominant eye is left. I found this out in the Air Force, I qualified both left and right handed. By the way the M-16 kicks it's spent cartridge out to the right, so if you shoot it left handed it pops into your face! NOT FUN. I eat with either hand, it just depends which side the food is on. I write with my left hand. I hurdle left, high jump right. They did not try to force right handed in shcool, but often desk were right handed.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I fall into the sort of camp. I believe I am a natural left hander. However, my older brothers were right handed. So most of my sports gear was right handed, thus right handed. My dominant eye is left. I found this out in the Air Force, I qualified both left and right handed. By the way the M-16 kicks it's spent cartridge out to the right, so if you shoot it left handed it pops into your face! NOT FUN. I eat with either hand, it just depends which side the food is on. I write with my left hand. I hurdle left, high jump right. They did not try to force right handed in shcool, but often desk were right handed.
Boy that brings back memories. I was an ALO (air liaison officer) and had to qualify on the M-16. I chose to shoot left handed. On my first shot, the cartridge flew down the right sleeve of my BDU. I continued to fire because it was a timed event. I ended up qualifying, and had the bonus of a nice raised burn on my arm from the spent casing.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'm right for just about everything... Even in my thinking.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Studied classical guitar for five years. Developed fine motor skills in both hands. Typing and mousing with both hands was very helpful too.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #28

I'm not ambidextrous but I am abieyed, meaning I can shoot and take photographs with either eye.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Mostly right handed, can wrench with either. Shoot left handed, because my right eye is a "lazy" eye.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Not truly ambidextrous, but can use my left hand to enhance my results in sports.
I am right handed but all of my 3 siblings are left handed.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

If you have a dominant left eye and are right handed there would be issues doing certain things, right?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I see that some were forced to be ambidextrous. I am right handed but due to injuries and such, I was forced to develop many usages for left hand. I am not sure playing some sports with different hand makes one ambidextrous. IMO, if one can do most things equally well with either hand, that makes one truly ambidextrous. I've got some ways to go.
I am not sure it is quite that simple. Some people have these abilities but they still must be developed. For most it would not be possible to throw similarly well with either hand. But for those for whom it is possible, the rod bility must still be developed through practice.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
ha ha ha ha [emoji23]

When I type I'm ambidextrous

I use both hands for various distinct things, so not truly ambidextrous as it's awkward to switch to the other hand for the same task.

I have noticed especially for eating some people only use 1 hand, so they:
put knife in right hand.
cut food.
put fork in right hand and eat.
Then repeat.

It's so much easier to keep the knife in 1 hand and the fork in the other and eat.
When it comes to cutting and eating food, I suspect what you are describing in most cases is etiquette, not a different ability.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Until I was about 6 yrs old, I wrote and colored with my left hand until the middle of the paper and then switched pencil/ crayon to the right hand. I still use either hand to “ cut I “ while painting walls....
I still write on poster paper/ white boards with either hand
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #35

Not ambidextrous in general but in my younger days i was able to play table tennis equally well right or left handed. I would usually always win wagering on a game. If playing a stranger it was easy to offer up another wager playing lefthanded to give them the edge, but I would usually win again. I was nearly as good alternating between left and right hand on each volley. Sure wish I would have been so skilled in a sport that really mattered, but no such luck.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #36

Why does everything have to deal with sex?
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
If you have a dominant left eye and are right handed there would be issues doing certain things, right?
There is when it comes to shooting sports. I'm strongly left eyed and strongly right handed. I close my right eye when shooting hand guns and close my left eye when shooting rifles or shotguns. Not ideal, but it gets the job done.

Although I feel like I am strongly right handed, I do some things with the left. I wear my watch on my right wrist (can't seem to buckle it with my right hand to put it on the left), I tape targets left handed, and I deal cards left handed. No idea why.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
When it comes to cutting and eating food, I suspect what you are describing in most cases is etiquette, not a different ability.
At a dinner party perhaps, but not at the local diner.

Regarding eating, actually I've asked people and they report it is ability, not etiquette that determines which hand holds the fork and knife.

They literally cannot for example hold the fork in their left hand and put the food in the mouth, so they switch the fork to the dominant right hand and get a bite, then switch hands again to put the knife in the dominant hand and cut the food.