Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you ambidextrous?
Yes 12 31.58%
No 26 68.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Who is ambidextrous? Why? How?
Old 04-24-2019, 02:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who is ambidextrous? Why? How?

Are you ambidextrous? How did you become one?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 02:08 AM   #2

I am not, but my sister is - kind of. Quite strange...she writes with her left hand, but throws right-handed. Never understood it, but she's been that way from day one.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:16 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am ambidextrous for writing cursive and printing. I am "naturally" a right handed writer, however, as a lark, over 30 years ago, I started building the muscle memory in my left hand for writing and printing. Whenever I found myself in a long, boring meeting, I started doodling, and then I decided to start doing the alphabet in both cursive and printed letters. After about 3 or 4 years I became fairly competent.
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
Administrator

I am naturally right-handed. However, when I was 14, I broke my right thumb playing football and was in a cast for a couple of months, so I learned how to do some things left-handed. I can write legibly with my left hand and can play racquetball and squash left handed. Eliminating the need for a backhand has proven useful on many occasions. I continue to use my left hand every morning to shave with a straight razor, which requires the same fine motor skills from each hand.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #5
gone traveling

Playing lots of basketball helped me out with my left hand coordination, but I am still predominately right handed. My wife is right handed, but her dominate eye for shooting is her left eye. she looks strange when aiming for a target.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I write right, throw left. Shoot a basketball left, rifle right, kick right. Tennis right.

As a young accountant I needed to run a 10-key calculator for my job. "10-ket by touch" as it was called. I trained myself to use my left hand so I never had to switch hands as everyone else did. This was not difficult but people seemed amazed at it.

My son can throw with either hand.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Man 1: "Is it true you can do things equally well with either hand?"

Man 2: "Yes, I am amphibious"
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use my left arm/hand to play tennis, golf, throw balls, and my left foot to kick balls. But I use my right arm/hand to do delicate things like writing, holding eating utensils, wiping my bum. Don't know if there was ever a conscious decision to separate activities.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Man 1: "Is it true you can do things equally well with either hand?"

Man 2: "Yes, I am amphibious"
The late Charles Shackleford, NC State basketball player from the 1980s. He did not graduate.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure you can call me ambidextrous because I consider myself right handed. I can say I do things with my left hand naturally, like tie shoes and put a key in a door to open it etc.. It is just natural for me to use my left for certain tasks that are small tasks.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I am not, but my sister is - kind of. Quite strange...she writes with her left hand, but throws right-handed. Never understood it, but she's been that way from day one.
That's not really ambitextrous but I am similar. I write and eat right handed. I throw and play racquet sports left handed. I golf and swing a bat right handed. I shoot a rifle and bow and arrow left handed. On none of these can I switch hands. Always been this way. I'd like to say that it all just seems natural to me but even I recognize that it's odd.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I was a switch hitter all the years I played organized baseball, but do everything else from the right side.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #14

Not really ambidextrous but I once had a job with heavy data input. I learned to use the mouse with my left had while I used the ten key on the keyboard with my right. Took awhile to get good at it, but it helped me be much more efficient in the job. Didn’t realize at first that there are settings to allow the buttons on the mouse to be swapped. That helped a lot too.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm odd, sort of like big-papa.

I was a left leg lead in high school track when I did hurdles. I high jump from the "wrong" side (I approach from the left.) I deal cards and do cartwheels the opposite way as well. But in all other things I am right-handed.

I attribute it to my Mom being left-handed, but I have no idea if that's true.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The late Charles Shackleford, NC State basketball player from the 1980s. He did not graduate.
....though he went on to become a distinguished herpetologist. It turned out he was a natural.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm somewhat. Had a fracture on my writing hand once in college and had to use the other hand for about 6 weeks to take notes. I survived.

Also, somethings things, like eating or using the mouse I favor one hand while other things like throwing a football or using tools, I favor the other hand.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Only 10% of the population is left handed. An interesting phenomenon. A fun read on the internet.

When I was a kid, right handedness was taught in school in no uncertain terms. It wasn't until the mid to late 1940's that left handedness was accepted as somewhat "normal". At that, in subtle ways, we lefties are still discriminated against based on designs of many goods. We accept this today as a given, but developers are well aware of the RH bias.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #19

I see that some were forced to be ambidextrous. I am right handed but due to injuries and such, I was forced to develop many usages for left hand. I am not sure playing some sports with different hand makes one ambidextrous. IMO, if one can do most things equally well with either hand, that makes one truly ambidextrous. I've got some ways to go.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
ha ha ha ha

When I type I'm ambidextrous

I use both hands for various distinct things, so not truly ambidextrous as it's awkward to switch to the other hand for the same task.

I have noticed especially for eating some people only use 1 hand, so they:
put knife in right hand.
cut food.
put fork in right hand and eat.
Then repeat.

It's so much easier to keep the knife in 1 hand and the fork in the other and eat.