Who Knows about Milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting point...i don't know enough about what was used pre-GM in developed countries...i'm more comparing traditional small farming (sometimes indigenous) in developing countries w/ GM practices that require larger scale, more equipment, and chemicals that were not the norm.

Last edited:
Greg, if it's pesticides you're worried about, then don't worry about milk. It has one of the lowest toxic loads on any food. Worry much more about fresh peaches, grapes, spinach, and apples. You know, good wholesome food. :)

Greg, if it's pesticides you're worried about, then don't worry about milk. It has one of the lowest toxic loads on any food. Worry much more about fresh peaches, grapes, spinach, and apples. You know, good wholesome food. :)

As I previously said, I'm mildly worried about it all. I truly think much of what is called modern food production, its parts and processes, are all suspect. I'm sure some will be found to be neutral or actually beneficial at some point. But every time I do even a small bit of investigation (such as above) I find some horrid little mess. The bad seems to outweigh any good, as I see things. I wash all my veggies and fruits carefully, although I've been avoiding detergent use as much as possible. This may be wrong on my part. I buy organic mostly, always when convenient. This is getting much easier as more stores now have organic sections thruout. About six months ago I rescued DW from margarine, long before I read the above article. Whew!

Amusing and tautological for me and my little world:

How is margarine made? If you know the full details, you cannot possibly think that it is healthy. Yet many health experts still do.

Who in their right mind would eat this stuff if they knew its dirty little secret? Again, thru the efforts of gov't and the regular food industry we end up with--at best--partial knowledge. I smell [-]something rancid[/-] shenanigans

You don't sense any bias, or dramatization in that article?

'These oils have already turned rancid' geez, wouldn't people just say - this stuff tastes bad, I'm not going to buy it? You don't seem to give people much credit.

'The oil is steam cleaned (again!) to remove the odor of chemicals. This step is called deodorization and it again involves high temperature and high pressure.' Oh my, heat and pressure, like grandma uses in her pressure cooker at home.

And this helps to prove one of my points. Science has since learned that trans-fats are bad for you. So, we are now labeling these and reducing them in our foods. Yep, it was probably a mistake to encourage margarine over butter, but we are correcting it, and I think that's a good thing.

At any rate, how much margarine is someone who is trying to maintain a healthy weight going to eat in a day? Goes back to my desire to eat a diverse range of foods, and lots of bulky, low-calorie ones.

But more importantly, are you going to share with us how you think we should reap the benefits of new technology if you are so risk adverse? Without that info, calling out every mistake that has been made is hollow. We have to weigh them against the progress that has been or could be made.

Air bags save lives, Air bags have hurt/killed some people. But, since the good far outweighs the bad, it would be irresponsible to call for the removal of air bags from all cars. And, industry has responded by making even safer air bags.

So tell us, how you are you going to do this?

-ERD50

you know, i heard some restaurants take the leftover butter you don't eat (like from the rolls, etc) and scrape it into a big pot for the sauces, like for eggs benedict....

since we're talking butter/marg - which is made from milk...:duh:

sometimes it's better not to know everything! ;)

As I previously said, I'm mildly worried about it all.

OK, there is obviously a relationship between toxins and health. And nerds have looked at the toxic burden in humans. I believe the highest burden came from flame retardants.

So, eat whatever you like, but stop wearing flannel PJs and stop sleeping on a mattress.

Everybody is exposed to some baseline badness, so my worry would be if my local environment was somehow worse than everywhere else. I would look at disease incidence in my area, and then start worrying if something looks out of whack. There are some interesting correlations with disease in more northern climates, for example. So, go outside and play in the sunshine....

I think this line of threads has strayed so far from the original posters information request i'm surprised a moderator hasnt assigned it a separate post heading.

I think this line of threads has strayed so far from the original posters information request i'm surprised a moderator hasnt assigned it a separate post heading.

You're right. Let's take a break for a while and try a less contentious topic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom