Who Knows about Milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, where are the examples?

Hey, all kidding aside, dammit, I want a perfect world. And by God it better be as I define it. GOT IT.

Now get busy and create it for me. I got pontificating to do, so I'll be busy.

With lawsuits, just Google "monsanto corn lawsuit" and you can take your pick of dozens! None of this makes the food product cheaper but IS about control of huge markets. The bulk of it is competitor patent challenges, but also extends to spying on farmers to make sure they don't save a single seed.. or attacking innocent, inadvertent, and unwilling "hosts" of GM plants:
[Monsanto] investigates 500 farmers each year, and to date they have been awarded over $15 million through lawsuits. "Farmers are being sued for having GMO’s [genetically modified organisms] on their property that they did not buy, do not want, will not use and cannot sell," said North Dakota farmer Tom Wiley.
Chattooga Conservancy

Monsanto is also being sued for monopolizing glyphosate.
American Corn Growers File Federal Lawsuit to Stop Monsanto's "Predatory Pricing" of Glyphosate

As far as Pasteurization vs. raw milk goes.. it's sheerly an economic convenience. With clean cows and proper handling, there are few if any inherent risks to drinking raw milk and in fact unadulterated compounds in raw milk do apparently have health benefits. There are studies that show raw milk confers a level of protection against asthma and allergies. There are plenty of raw-milk cheeses in Europe and no one is keeling over from them.. yet in the US they are for some reason verboten --contrary to the supposed liberal US distinction ("show me it's unsafe") vs. Europe ("show me it's safe") . The modern milk industry does not choose, for economic reasons, to create a safe natural food chain, and pasteurization is the fix.

iLiberty.Org - Relative Risk of "Raw Milk"

N.B. I also eat plenty of raw eggs.. (in carbonara, zabaglione, tiramisu') and so far so good.

In some European countries, you can buy milk in "bulk" using your own containers from distribution machines. This cuts out some of the processing/packaging (and profit) so milk companies are agin' it.

Beppe Grillo's Blog: My house cow

Again, the profits in the food biz are less to be made on increased yields than on increased processing.

And you do kind of have to ask why, if our food is "safer and cleaner" than ever.. why so many more people have food allergies? Is this just anecdotal?

It's obvious that in a lot of foods, even minimally processed ones (milk, wheat, rice as opposed to Eggo waffles and Doritos) have Things Added and Things Taken Away. I don't think we really understand the complete ramifications of either, so I can understand some skepticism.

--
Chlorine: There are hydrogen peroxide and ozone treatments that can reduce or eliminate the need for chlorine (depending on distribution; if it's your swimming pool you can go completely chlorine-free with some kind of oxygen/ozone type purifier). You can wait for the chlorine to dissipate or use filters before drinking it. I am encouraged now to go out and get a test kit to see where our water effectively is at, since at our source I see they list it as 8.5mg/L, which to me sounds high.

Microfiltration removes bacteria and spores and is currently being used for milk by some suppliers (either before or after pasteurization, apparently, rather than in place of). In theory one imagines it could be used for water, too.

Just because one solution is OK (with reservations), doesn't mean there can't be a better one! :)

Funny you mention penicillin which is a natural kind of mold! I tend to eat things that have a bit of mold (just get rid of the moldy part) but a lot of people wouldn't out of fear.

ERD50.. good luck with your brew-- which I assume is NOT pasteurized, right? You are taking your life in your hands there, bub!! ;):rolleyes:;)

Greg,
To help move this into the area of tangible impact: can you provide a source for information on the demonstrated adverse health impact caused by food stabilizers and preservatives? It would be especially helpful if the source also considered offsetting benefits (e.g. from the avoidance of consumption of oxydized fats, etc)

I think you know that I can't give loads of scientific/technical data for support of my position. First, it may not be there. There is a chance that no one has large studies of the effect of small doses of toxic entities. Anyway, I don't have easy access. My food choice philosophy has developed from a fair amount of anecdotal evidence, articles written in magazines and newspapers, radio shows, and a reasonable amount of thinking about the topic. I am not a fanatic. Earlier in this thread I stated that given the practical choice I drink organic milk, but if that's not readily available I choose the next cleanest milk down, rSTP (sp?) free. And so on.

As a further example of low levels of toxin possibly causing problems down the line (at a later point in time) we need only look at the use of DDT, a pesticide, in this country. We stopped using it in this country and worldwide many years ago. It was destroying the eagle population and doing a fair amount of harm in the environment. It was banned; the DDT stopped seeping into the environment and a sort of non-DDT balance was restored; the eagle population among other populations grew again. A good thing.

Nowadays, there is a desire to start using DDT in parts of Africa to fight malaria. It is cheap and would be very effective in controlling mosquitoes (and maybe other Texas related varmints?). Good things. I don't necessarily think that this would be a bad choice--if the DDT is used judiciously.

So, I agree, some sort of balance in our social and scientific community is needed, in our decision making process.

I agree with the point you make about food choices being important in the overall health of people. I think the vast majority of the problem is that people eat foods in unhealthful proportions (not enough vegetables and whole grains, too much meat and starch, etc), and that many of us simply consume more calories each day than we burn.

Now, somehow converting that observation into concrete action is where I think our paths will diverge. I want people to make the right choices based on their own enlightened self interest. What would you propose as a way to get people to eat more in a more healthy way? I do not believe it is the place of the state to force adults to change behaviors that are not adversely affecting others.
So, my perception of the problem may not converge with yours, and your notion of enlightened self interest may not match mine. This is sad--possibly. In my ideal food world, "enlightened self interest" means I have the knowledge available to make an informed choice regarding my foods. As a direct example of my inability to make a good choice: many companies directly lobby the gov't so that they don't have to label their products as "containing GMO products. They specifically are trying to hide the facts about what they sell. How can I make a decision when the information is specifically and explicitly hidden from me? To my mind, in this case, I want a gov't that will make sure such information is readily and easily available to me. That way I can make an enlightened choice.

I see many examples of the gov't behaving covertly when it shouldn't. And I infer that many times and much information about food is hidden from me when I would like it available so that an informed and spot choice right at the choice sight can be quickly made efficiently. One might say that this information is readily available if you just google it, that it is easily findable. But practically speaking, this really isn't true. For most folks, life is busy. They buy lots different products on a regular schedule. Because of this, they need to trust the gov't or someone to do the right thing, to make sure that the products are safe. This means more than meeting minimal standards nowadays. Most folks don't have time to do a thorough investigation of every single product they buy. They're busy raising children, working, fixing the house, making car payments, [-]wasting time on message boards[/-], etc. They don't have time to add a huge number of additional chores for all the safety issues related to them and their less enlightened children. It is much more efficient to hire the process out to [-]competent[/-] experts, such as the ones gov't could find if it was properly chosen and managed. [But we may disagree on the innate ability of gov't to act competently?;)]

So, enlightened self interest is vital to me too. And all of our society and each individual should have correct information available to make individual and collective choices. In fact we should all contribute funds to furthing enlightenment in our children by raising money for schools;). But this costs money doesn't it? And, currently we have a group of folks who have as a [-]primary[/-] goal the reduction of the cost of gov't and minimization of it's size. This to me appears to run counter to what 'enlightened self interest' really means. Or am I wrong? There is the possibility that business could provide that 'enlightening' factor. But [-]all[/-] most evidence that I see leads me to believe that those businesses are primarily interested in their own self interest--not mine. That sometimes they lie to us and try to fool me in order to further their own self interest and expand their profits by misrepresenting their products.

Thankfully, we share some enlightenment about an economic philosopher that solved this difficulty for us. Adam Smith, the fellow that talked about the invisible hand, also said that business interests can't be left alone to their own devices, that some governing entity, a controlling group needs to ultimately govern that invisible hand group. Because if those business folks are left solely to their own devices nothing good will come of it. But you already know Adam Smith said this, don't you?

So, samclem, what is your definition of freedom?

ERD50.. good luck with your brew-- which I assume is NOT pasteurized, right? You are taking your life in your hands there, bub!! ;):rolleyes:;)

Ladelfina, I just have a minute now, I will try to get back to your other comments which are discussable (I appreciate that!), but I need to comment on this most important comment!

I would NEVER pasteurize or micro-filter home-brew beer! :rant: It affects the taste, and there is no need. I have studied beer a lot, it is a hobby, and every source tells me that there are NO dangerous microorganisms that can survive in beer! And I have NEVER seen any evidence contrary to that. There are some very active home brew forums, they discuss everything under the sun related to brewing, and if people were getting sick (other than from the obvious occasional over consumption) it would be known.

That safety is a major reason that beer became popular over the years. Traditionally, you:

A) Boil the unfermented beer (wort) for an hour - this kills off stuff in the water and grain.

B) The malted grain and boiled hops lower the pH of the wort, making it inhospitable to many 'critters' after cooling to room temp.

C) Initially, the cool wort is aerated. The yeast are added and they consume the oxygen. Yeast is one of the few creatures that can operate both aerobically and anaerobically. Again, this helps weed out other dangerous critters - they cannot survie both environments.

D) The yeast eat the oxygen and malt sugars (maltose) and produce CO2 bubbles in the process which further scrubs the beer of any oxygen. This prevents the beer from 'oxidizing' which is the 'stale' taste you get in old crackers for example.

E) Lastly, those yeast produce alcohol which again makes the environment harsh on other critters.

All those things combine make wonderful preservatives, and much tastier than a bowl of barley-meal!

Beer is good food! Well, HOME-BREWED beer at least. BTW, there are sources for 'organic' malt and hops now. I've never bothered.

I'm thirsty. ;)

-more later (fair warning?) ;)

-ERD50

. . . As a direct example of my inability to make a good choice: many companies directly lobby the gov't so that they don't have to label their products as "containing GMO products. They specifically are trying to hide the facts about what they sell. How can I make a decision when the information is specifically and explicitly hidden from me? To my mind, in this case, I want a gov't that will make sure such information is readily and easily available to me. That way I can make an enlightened choice.
. . . There is the possibility that business could provide that 'enlightening' factor.

So, samclem, what is your definition of freedom?

Regarding the mandatory GMO labeling: I don't know why the government should mandate that this information appear on packages (do we mandate that producers tell us when the crops are hybrids, or when the beef is from a cow that is the product of selective breeding rather than random bovine romantic encounters in the field?). Clearly some food activists feel that GMO crops are somehow different and more dangerous than these earlier methods of modifying agricultural genetic material, and they wanted the government to force producers to put a label on them primarily as a means to raise awareness of the public (that is, they waned free advertising for their cause). I'm sure they would prefer that the warning be in red letters, 20 point font, with a skull and crossbones on each side. I think it would be incorrect to mandate this labeling until these GMOs are found to be intrinsically different and more dangerous than other products.

But, there is a perfectly good market-based solution. If the producers of non-GMO products want to label them as such, they can readily exploit the founded or unfounded fears of consumers to sell their products at higher prices. The government's only role should be to assure that the claims on the package are accurate--e.g. that the frozen corn labeled "non-GMO" really contains no GMOs, and that the label and advertising make no factually incorrect claims. What is wrong with that? Let the people decide based on their own perceptions of what is best (not a bad definition of freedom) and let both product lines co-exist.

Freedom: "Just another word for 'nothin left to lose'". J. Joplin

samclem,
if you were buying meat, wouldn't you want to know if it came from a clone or the real thing?

samclem,
if you were buying meat, wouldn't you want to know if it came from a clone or the real thing?

A clone is the real thing, IMO. With the possible exception of reduced telomere length, the organism is identical to the parent. So, nope, i wouldn't care if it was cloned beef.

To extend the "truth in labeling" point a little: I'd say that if a GMO product contains proteins that are not found in natural cultivars/subspecies of that product, that the packaging should say so. After all, if you cram a lot of DNA for peach proteins into an apple genome (and can get the organism to produce them) then what you've got is nutritionally as much a peach as it is an apple. For example "This corn contains proteins naturally found in bananas" contains all the information the consumer needs in order to make a decision. They will know that the organism has been engineered to some degree, and they'll know that if they aren't allergic to bananas, they won't be allergic to this corn. But, if the corn just has increased levels of certain proteins already found in corn--no label should be required.

Popping in.

Should organic corn be labeled:

"THIS PRODUCT PRODUCED WITH DIHYDROGEN-MONO-OXIDE[SIZE=-1] and NUCLEAR RADIATION"

Translation: Water and sunshine. But people would be frightened by it, I guarantee.

-ERD50[/SIZE]

I think that people opposed to GM crops do not understand our current crops.

Almost all of our crops (and farm animals, and people too for that matter) are the product of selective breeding and hybridization. What does that mean? Breeders, and now scientists search for plants/animals with random 'natural' mutations*. These mutations occur due to 'natural' events - ionizing radiation from the sun is one source. When they stumble across a useful mutant, it usually has undesirable characteristics also. So they try to create hybrids with other desirable plants, and work to come up with something that has some good qualities of both.

Pretty labor intensive, time consuming, dependent upon luck, and unpredictable.

So today, we have tools that allow us to selectively try to make changes to the DNA in a much more controlled, directed methodology. Why shouldn't we do that? It's just a tool.

Once man learned to use tools, he started building huts and tents and log cabins when the 'natural' habitat provided by caves was found unsuitable. Same thing. We humans use tools to alter our environment. These are just modern tools. With risks and rewards. Or should we just stumble around, hoping to find a suitable cave/plant/animal?

-ERD50

* BTW, Darwin first formed his theories before he visited the Galapagos. He studied the work of the breeders of 'show' pigeons. And he noticed that when allowed to interbreed, the offspring, no matter the parent, would revert to 'normal' wild pigeons with just a few generations. The total amount of DNA changed was miniscule, even though their appearance was markedly different.

samclem,

Why are people so afraid of the word 'clone' (and GM for that matter)?

If a cow delivers identical twins, you could serve steaks from each of them. They would be clones. Is that scary?

IIRC, every banana we eat is a clone, isn't it?

At any rate, cloning of animals is an expensive process. It will probably never be used to produce meat to eat. It may very well be used to produce clones of bulls that have demonstrated superior characteristics. Artificial insemination has gone a long way to make better use of superior genes, cloning is just another tool in that box.

I am still 1,000,000 times more afraid of that car in the oncoming lane, traveling at a legal speed limit that could result in a 110 mph head-on collision. Especially when they are on a cell phone :rant:.

-ERD50

Regarding the mandatory GMO labeling: I don't know why the government should mandate that this information appear on packages (do we mandate that producers tell us when the crops are hybrids, or when the beef is from a cow that is the product of selective breeding rather than random bovine romantic encounters in the field?). Clearly some food activists feel that GMO crops are somehow different and more dangerous than these earlier methods of modifying agricultural genetic material, and they wanted the government to force producers to put a label on them primarily as a means to raise awareness of the public (that is, they waned free advertising for their cause). I'm sure they would prefer that the warning be in red letters, 20 point font, with a skull and crossbones on each side. I think it would be incorrect to mandate this labeling until these GMOs are found to be intrinsically different and more dangerous than other products.

But, there is a perfectly good market-based solution. If the producers of non-GMO products want to label them as such, they can readily exploit the founded or unfounded fears of consumers to sell their products at higher prices. The government's only role should be to assure that the claims on the package are accurate--e.g. that the frozen corn labeled "non-GMO" really contains no GMOs, and that the label and advertising make no factually incorrect claims. What is wrong with that? Let the people decide based on their own perceptions of what is best (not a bad definition of freedom) and let both product lines co-exist.

Freedom: "Just another word for 'nothin left to lose'". J. Joplin

OK, so above is a perfect example of spinning around in nowhereville--Tony Snow style--as best as I can see. You previously stated that 'enlightened self interest' was important to you. I assumed you meant that this is probably important for others to experience also, that good information should be easily available to and for all. This, to my mind, would be a good thing, although it would cost some extra money to achieve. I believe it wouldn't cost much, given that we have 350 million folks and a significant portion of them whose health could quickly be be improved on their own with some better information, which in turn improves productivity and general health.

Now, above, you've decided that you only want other folks to have partial information (see your comments above) based on what you think is 'enough for them (and yourself)' information--not truly full or better knowledge. What I think I'm reading above is that you really want "unenlightening knowledge." Many others may very well want more information in order to make a realistic 'enlightened' choice. How does purposefully gathering and using lesser bits of knowledge about food or any other portion of life make things better? If we, any major gov't and citizens, had better knowledge about Hitler before he came to power, wouldn't there have been a greater likelihood of something correct being done before things went awry? So do you really want 'stupid knowledge'? Are you saying above you mean the opposite of what you said previously?

I would very seriously like to hear what your definition of 'self interest' is too because at this point you appear to me to be contradicting yourself there too.

This topic reminds me of a small resentment that festered in my old ‘hood. Many people knew about the "secret farm" but didn’t tell my family until like, thirty years into the fifty years they lived in the area. It was a wonderful place to go where you could get unpasturized milk and other goodies like fresh eggs. A particular barn would be empty except for the farmer’s cat and a few assorted farm animals; there was a box in a corner to leave money. You had to know where to find the price list to figure out how much to leave. And of course we were all sworn to secrecy.

GM crops aren't just modern versions of what farmers have done for thousands of years of selecting better seed varieties.

Major problems include:

1) the crops are manipulated to not reproduce - where a farmer might save a portion of his crop from last year's harvest for next year's seed, some GM crops don't make their own seeds, you have to buy more each year

2) GM crops are selected for certain characteristics like a tomato that won't bruise after being dropped 100 feet, or bigger shinier apples (but mostly water not flavor) etc..that is why you often see a flavor and nutrient difference in organic

3) they need specialized chemical nutrients (surprise! that also need to be purchased) that can alter the nutrients that end up in the end product

4) they often need a LOT of extra water.

5) loss of seed variety - there are campaigns to "save" natural seed varieties because of the increasing loss of variety, we are more vulnerable to catastrophe if something happens to the few in play.

just a few off the top of my head...

GM crops aren't just modern versions of what farmers have done for thousands of years of selecting better seed varieties.

Major problems include:

bright eyed, most of those characteristics can be attributed to hybrids that can be used by 'organic' farmers, some even more so. I'm pretty sure all GM crops have fertile seed - that is one of the reasons for the lawsuits. Farmers can 'copy' the 'proprietary seed' in the way people make digital copies of copyrighted material. Most hybrids, if fertile, do not produce offspring that is the same as the parent, it requires the two different strains of parents again, and that is done by the seed companies and they charge for it.

If the apple tastes watery - don't buy it. :confused:

And of course, you didn't mention any of the positives of GM. Oh well.

Also worth noting. All this talk of Europe as a model. Isn't ULTRA-pasteurized milk the norm there? UP milk suffers more degradation in nutrients and flavor due to the higher heat/time profile, but lasts longer and requires less (no?) refrigeration. Just maybe the Europeans weighed the pros/cons, made an informed decision and went for UP-milk? Less energy consumed to cool it, less milk wasted due to spoilage? I'm sure if they prefer alternatives, they are available, for a price.

-ERD50

Major problems include:

1) the crops are manipulated to not reproduce - where a farmer might save a portion of his crop from last year's harvest for next year's seed, some GM crops don't make their own seeds, you have to buy more each year

2) GM crops are selected for certain characteristics like a tomato that won't bruise after being dropped 100 feet, or bigger shinier apples (but mostly water not flavor) etc..that is why you often see a flavor and nutrient difference in organic

3) they need specialized chemical nutrients (surprise! that also need to be purchased) that can alter the nutrients that end up in the end product

4) they often need a LOT of extra water.

5) loss of seed variety - there are campaigns to "save" natural seed varieties because of the increasing loss of variety, we are more vulnerable to catastrophe if something happens to the few in play.

But, just as ERD mentioned above, every single one of these attributes has previously been achieved by the "old fashioned" methods used for thousands of years to achieve improved plant and animal species through selective breeding.

1) Many hybrids (produced for thousands of years both natural and through human intervention) cannot reproduce. Nothing new here. Mules (horse and donkey crossbreed) are sterile, but very handy animals--and can be eaten without ill effect. Many crop species are sterile. If farmers want crops with viable seeds, and it is worth to to them to give up the attributes offered by newer varieties, ..then they should simply buy them.

2) Crops are produced (via selective breeding and newer methods) to provide attributes the market wants (non-bruised fruit, etc). Also, if a type of plant can be brought to market more cheaply and sold for less, then I'd like to enjoy that advantage as a consumer. If it has less flavor or other undesirable attributes, then I'm less likely to buy it. The first cultivars of most of our popular foods were not as tasty as what we enjoy now--why should we expect them to have been? Farmers and breeders have done a fantastic job for thousands of years, and things will get better with the improved tools. Let the consumer decide.

3) Special nutrients: gain, if the farmer believes the cost is worth the benefit, he can buy the special seeds. If not, he can go on as before. Each farmer is in the best position to decide what is best for him (that is, how he can best meet what consumers want).

4) And some don't. Millions of people have been saved from starvation through the growth of drought-tolerant crops produced by selective breeding. If a new variety requires more water, Mr Greenjeans can make his own decision on whether it is worth the cost to him. If water is in short supply and needed for other things, then that's a separate issue--it should be priced to reflect its true value so that farmers won't waste it.

5) This has been happening for thousands of years, newer tools haven't fundamentally changed anything. We have created monocultures of many of the biggest crops, and that comes with some risk. Still, some folks are saving heirloom seeds and are growing old-style crops for niche markets. Good for them! I hope they sell a lot of products and are very successful.
In the US and in Europe, we used to have wheat rust epidemics about every 4-8 years. These fungal diseases were extremely devastating, and led to farm failures, higher food prices, and some malnutrition in especially bad years. Thousands of tons of antifungal agents were sprayed to stop these epiphytotic events. When is the last time you heard of an event? That's because the cultivars now grown incorporate multiple resistance genes to the rust varieties. While it's possible that the fungus will overcome these resistance genes (that's the nature of natural selection), the use of this scientifically produced wheat has undoubtedly reduced human misery, reduced food prices, and prevent the spraying f huge amounts of chemicals into the environment. I think that's a good thing.

Last edited:
What I think I'm reading above is that you really want "unenlightening knowledge."

greg, I thought samclem was pretty clear here:

I think it would be incorrect to mandate this labeling until these GMOs are found to be intrinsically different and more dangerous than other products.
So you are back to the political weirdness (not quoting it here). Disappointing.

Are you going to respond to the requests, and tell us how you think new products and processes should be introduced into society? I am waiting to hear how you are going to balance progress, risk, and opportunity loss.

It is one-sided of you to criticize the approach of another poster, when you have been (so far) unwilling to say how your ultra-safe plan would work. You present one side of your theories, possible protection from evil. But, under that system, how do we introduce beneficial technology? How do you measure the lives lost while beneficial technology is postponed or banned over safety fears that may be unfounded?

It's not a rhetorical question.

-ERD50

Hmmm, bananas as nature intended:

Fruits of wild-type bananas have numerous large, hard seeds.

I bet they taste real good too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Inside_a_wild-type_banana.jpg
-ERD50
Image:Inside_a_wild-type_banana.jpg

Greg,
Tony Snow, Hitler--can we mention Communism so that we have a trifecta in this discussion of food?

O
Now, above, you've decided that you only want other folks to have partial information (see your comments above) based on what you think is 'enough for them (and yourself)' information--not truly full or better knowledge. What I think I'm reading above is that you really want "unenlightening knowledge." . . . So do you really want 'stupid knowledge'? Are you saying above you mean the opposite of what you said previously?
I really don't understand your point. Here's what I meant to convey regarding labeling:
-- The government should require that products be labeled accurately. (e.g. if it says sliced peaches" then the can should not contain sliced apples). In cases where a product contains a protein that is not normally found in products of that type, the label should say so (Perhaps "The peaches in this can contain pearnine, a protein naturally found in pears and cucumbers") This labelling would be useful to those with food allergies. How the protein got into that can has absolutely nothing to do with nutrition: If the peaches had been cross-bred with pears or if the genome of the peaches had been modified makes absolutely no difference. Now, if the manufacturer wants to crow about how he did it (eg "this product does not include peaches modified by deliberate gene insertion"), that's fine, but I want the label to tell the consumer the facts about the product. Forcing a label that says "this product contains GMO" tells the consumer nothing of use compared to what I've proposed above.

my defintion of "self-interest": ?? is there a point of sophistry I'm missing here?

On an unrelated note, others have commented that "we hold these truths to be self-evident" was likely Jefferson's polite way of saying "anybody should be able to see this."

Last edited:
who'd a thunk we'd ever get to 15 pages (with more to come?) on the subject of milk? b3v3r ch33s3, perhaps, but milk?!

Greg,
Tony Snow, Hitler--can we mention Communism so that we have a trifecta in this discussion of food?

I really don't understand your point. Here's what I meant to convey regarding labeling:
-- The government should require that products be labeled accurately. (e.g. if it says sliced peaches" then the can should not contain sliced apples). In cases where a product contains a protein that is not normally found in products of that type, the label should say so (Perhaps "The peaches in this can contain pearnine, a protein naturally found in pears and cucumbers") This labelling would be useful to those with food allergies. How the protein got into that can has absolutely nothing to do with nutrition: If the peaches had been cross-bred with pears or if the genome of the peaches had been modified makes absolutely no difference. Now, if the manufacturer wants to crow about how he did it (eg "this product does not include peaches modified by deliberate gene insertion"), that's fine, but I want the label to tell the consumer the facts about the product. Forcing a label that says "this product contains GMO" tells the consumer nothing of use compared to what I've proposed above.

my defintion of "self-interest": ?? is there a point of sophistry I'm missing here?

On an unrelated note, others have commented that "we hold these truths to be self-evident" was likely Jefferson's polite way of saying "anybody should be able to see this."

I thought the trifecta of modern evil was completed with the mention of Bush not communism.

Just a short response about accurate food labeling tonite:

There are lots of ways we do label things and the way, perhaps, we should label things. First, we could catagorize all food accurately as either animal, vegetable, or mineral. Labeling something such as meat as animal product would be accurate for example. And for a starving person that label would probably be sufficient. But we all in this country want a greater degree of accuracy and we all (at least many of us) want labeling and knowledge on the product that helps us decide whether or not to buy it for consumption today. A reasonable middle ground would be a good choice, one that gives most folks enough info but also not so much that one tunes the labeling out (much as we tune out uninteresting debaters if their points aren't lively enough). For example, it would be absurd to cover an entire can of SPAM with info such as what the pig ate, what parts are used, whether that pig had a nice nap and good meal right before the lights went out, whether he was fed GMO corn, bla, bla. In order to do such a thing, Hormel would have to squish the can to about 1/4 inch flat and about 16x18 inches wide and tall. Plus, as I said, this would probably tune out most if not all SPAM eaters. And how would you get it out of the can anyway?

So your alternative possibility for proper labeling doesn't cover much information needed or wanted by folks shopping for food on more than price alone, which increasingly everyday is more folks. For a growing number of folks, protein is not just a protein anymore, and Grade A Choice steak means something more than just protein too. And many folks now want to know much more about their food. They want to know what went into the milk cow's blood (growth hormones?), they want to know what dropped in the milk bucket (feces?), they may want to know what went into the cow's stomach (GMO products?), etc.

What is needed is not some cheap and worthless information gathering and labeling system used by just about no one (and once again tautologically proving to conservatives that anything done by the government is basically worthless) . . . but a system that identifies what information folks really want, e.g. identifying the various subgroups to more accurately find out what they want specifically, and reflecting those folksy desires in a system that can provide that information in a reasonably cost effective manner that also could, in the best instance, could be charged to the group actually using specific chunks of that info (so that nonusers can still feel and know that they are not paying for something they are not using themselves--thereby keeping all the folks who aren't worried about subtler health issues, um, kinda [-]happy[/-] less irritated--at least about the money part).

It also needs to have adaptability built into it too. The world changes, humans change, so food labeling formulas need to change to accurately reflect those changing desires and needs. What worked well twenty-five or fifty years ago doesn't necessarily work well today. Only Grade A beef labels doesn't cut it anymore.

Powerpoint presentation tomorrow.

Powerpoint presentation tomorrow.

greg,
If you are taking suggestions for part two, here are my requests:
1) Include your idea for how we should introduce new food items/vaccines/etc so that your concerns about newfangled things get addressed while we also gain the benefits of the new idea. ERD50 raised this earlier.
2) Labels: Thanks for the overview of label doctrine. In a previous example, I said that if a GM product (or a food product produced by other means) contained a protein not found in the "natural" version of this product, that the protein should be named and natural sources of the protein should be identified. I think that is enough. Please provide an example of specifically what you believe should be on the label.

Hey, if you want to be grossed out by a label, read what is in "potted meat product." I wonder, based on the other stuff in it, specifically what part of the "chicken" it is referring to (it must be something that no one would buy in another form). It makes Spam look like prime rib.

potted2.jpg

i wasn't in any foolish way trying to convince erd or samclem >:D

just wanted it known there are concerns about gm crops that should also be weighed in the discussion.

i don't think farmers or other people make all their decision with such a level head or a pocketbook. if the gm seeds are cheaper, or you bought them when it was the cool/modern gonna change your life thing to do, it is hard to get off them cuz the ferts and pest'ds will make your soil toast...

the other problem i didn't mention is when monsanto and others convince developing countries that this will change their lives too, and local, smaller farmers are forced to buy those seeds, costly equipment, ferts etc. etc. and that type of farming may not work well in their region of the world causing more eroding of soil, pollution etc.

just wanted it known there are concerns about gm crops that should also be weighed in the discussion.

it is hard to get off them (GM seeds) cuz the ferts and pest'ds will make your soil toast...

costly equipment, ferts etc. etc. and that type of farming may not work well in their region of the world causing more eroding of soil, pollution etc.

bright eyed, can you provide some references for those statements? Your earlier list applied to traditional hybrids as much or more than it did GM crops.

The GM crops that I have studied use less insecticides and less dangerous herbicides that trad hybrids (or even non-hybrids). What is unique about any GM crop that will 'make your soil toast'?

Monsanto, for example, is in an uphill PR battle on GM crops because of some these fears. Doesn't it make sense that they would try to design and market their products as being better for the environment? How are they going to sell them if they are worse in all the ways you say? I don't get it, but I'm open to reading some unbiased info on the subject.

And again, the subject must be specific to GM crops. You and greg seem to be afraid of GM, but not of the 'traditional' hybrids that organic farmers use. So give examples that apply to GM, but NOT to traditional hybrids. [/quote]

i wasn't in any foolish way trying to convince erd or samclem
evil.gif
Was there something in our rebuttal you disagreed with?

-ERD50

bright eyed, can you provide some references for those statements? Your earlier list applied to traditional hybrids as much or more than it did GM crops.

The GM crops that I have studied use less insecticides and less dangerous herbicides that trad hybrids (or even non-hybrids). What is unique about any GM crop that will 'make your soil toast'?

Monsanto, for example, is in an uphill PR battle on GM crops because of some these fears. Doesn't it make sense that they would try to design and market their products as being better for the environment? How are they going to sell them if they are worse in all the ways you say? I don't get it, but I'm open to reading some unbiased info on the subject.

And again, the subject must be specific to GM crops. You and greg seem to be afraid of GM, but not of the 'traditional' hybrids that organic farmers use. So give examples that apply to GM, but NOT to traditional hybrids.

Was there something in our rebuttal you disagreed with?

-ERD50[/quote]

i don't have ref's now on those topics, but i studied this stuff pretty closely many years ago...i will try to dig some up!

in terms of your rebuttal - i just think we fundamentally disagree so there isn't much use trying to convince you :D i don't like slamming my head against walls, it hurts. :duh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom