Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home Adviser .... definitely not me.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My garage door opener broke in ballast night. I ordered a new one on Amazon and it will be here Monday--$208.

Since It is the same identical opener, installation will be simple.

I am appalled at hearing the money spent on opens repairs.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I tackle almost all home maintenance projects, plumbing, electrical, drywall, flooring, paint. I won’t do a project if it may involve pain. Such as garage doors. I saw a spring snap and I don’t ever want to get on the wrong end of one of those. I won’t do a new roof when we need it either.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

The first 9 or 10 years of home ownership a repairman never set foot on our property. Anything and everything that needed done or we wanted to improve or build was done my me. This was mostly motivated by our need to save money so I learned a lot of skills that have served me well over the years.

Things have changed a bit as I have aged. I pick and choose which repairs I take on now. If there is heavy labor that would cause physical pain I now job this out. An example, the attached garage on our current home was had ugly dark paneling that was falling apart. The electrical was woefully lacking from the time of the original build. I have completely re-wired the garage the way it should have been originally with 14 duplex wall outlets, 240 V service, and proper lighting with 3 way switching. I spent approx. $500 for materials and probably saved at least $2,000 by not hiring an electrician. However, I am hiring a 2 man crew to come in and install all new drywall, attic ladder, and new garage door and opener. I will prime and paint the drywall and replace all trim work around the two man doors and window. I hate to pay for the help but the body can't handle the drywall work anymore.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #25

moi, but I did spend my high school and college years working construction summers and whenever else I could, as it paid the best for un/semi-skilled labor.

I don't go up on roofs or ladders anymore, as I now know too many who have fallen off them, shattering both of their wrists/ankles.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #26

As a single female with Utube and basic skills, I do what I can. However, there are things I would never attempt either for safety reasons or because I would far rather pay someone. Right now it is the squirrels who have taken up residence in the crawl space attic. I was briefly tempted to shove my cat up there, but thought the better of it. Exterminator comes to trap and relocate today. His quote was $150 per squirrel. Hoping for very few squirrels.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I am the handyman here.

I watch U-tube (multiple people as some are idiots) on repairs if I don't know.

I fixed our broken coil spring garage door replacing both coils for ~$ 70 which included buying the 2 lever tools. Its dangerous if you stand in front of where the lever will snap down, so stay to the side.
Common sense, like mowing the lawn is dangerous if you put your feet under the mower.

I replace our car brake pads - u-tube again.
fixed the old washer - u-tube again.

I replaced the motor inside our furnace after it shorted out due to the A/C water pan dripping on it, and fixed the angle of the water pan ($125). That was 5 years ago, and I have the scar to prove it
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I do the work. DW is the foreman. She also schedules the work.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote