Who still sends Christmas cards?

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
I saw the threads on tipping and Christmas season present giving, but it made me realize that we are getting fewer and fewer Christmas cards in the mail the last few seasons. Also, I believe we are sending fewer out each year.

We did get an electronic card from a family friend this week that kind of recapped their year together and it was very nice, plus had several photos that if you clicked on them, they enlarged. Plus, a reader could could send comments back.

What's your experience with Christmas/Holiday cards this year?

When I was working we'd send 50+ and receive 50+. Mostly co-workers. After 7 years of retirement we're down to less than 10.

We send a few and we get a few. I remember as a kid growing up my folks would get a bushel basket full of them at Christmas.

DW just mailed out this year’s batch of about 20. We get about the same number in the mail. No electronic cards sent or received.

So far we've gotten them from my Mom and two of my Aunts. So we'll be sending at least 3. :)

Actually we probably send out about 30, mostly to relatives.

The numbers sent and received is definitely dwindling. DD mentioned the, for her, $.50 per mailed card might have something to do with it. However, just like on line shopping and as mentioned in the original post, electronic/internet is changing what we do.

Just thinking about this and realized we are both over 70 and have "lost" some family members and close friends. That, I'm sure is contributing to our slowly declining card sending and getting each year.

One problem with emailed cards and invites. You may start receiving spam email from them. That happened recently and get 1 or 2 emails daily.

Large family so we send and receive over 100 cards. I really enjoy the newsletter cards. One relative is trying to get people to use Facebook but that's not going over well. I think we send 40 to friends (college, clubs). Most of these people don't live close so maybe that's why we send so many.

We are going to do e-mail letters with photos this year for the first time. Save $$ and trees!

We only send cards back to people who send us one, and that number was down to about 20 these last few years. We just got a card today from a couple we met this last year, so I guess we are back up to 21 unless someone else stops sending us cards that has in the past.

Growing up my family used to have the big basket of Christmas cards, too, like probably 50+ cards sent and received every year.

Very few these days, as old friends far away just seem to fade out and the older relatives are smaller in number with each passing year. The younger relatives don't care or just send a text message on Christmas Day. We used to keep a list of who got sent one and who sent one back; if they missed two years in a row we crossed them off.

Just put 27 cards in the mail today. We may get that many, probably a few less. Some years I write a newsy letter but didn't this year. Most of the letters we receive are too damned long so I try to keep ours short when we do send them.

We send annual cards to a few close friends. There is something special and intimate about a handwritten note to those who are special in your life. We like sending and receiving a few and will likely continue until we cannot.

We send out about 20 photo cards, with iconic photos selected from the past year.
Since we don't post on FB, for many folks it is news to them when they see the photo.

I like getting photo cards, can see the new puppy, or how someone is growing up, or where they went for vacation.

We have received one card. We do not send cards. I enjoy the ones we receive but it is really not necessary I think.

We haven’t sent cards most years other than to a few family members, but we had professional photos taken of our dog this year so we made a photo card. Was originally going to send via email, but the program wanted to charge me a ridiculous amount, more than mailing out paper cards. Instead, we had the cards made by Shutterfly and mailed out 50 cards. May not do it again, but glad we did this year.

DW was down to 20-25 last year. Maybe just a half dozen this year but not sure yet.

We send a fair number.

Now that we have the time, DW draws the artwork for our card - OK, she draws it on the iPad and has it printed. They are quite nice. Adds a real personal touch.

My partner and I send 100 or so out to past clients thanking them. For some recent customers I'll throw in a Starbucks gift card.

Back
Top Bottom