Who would you most want to meet from this board?

I thought everyone had some resemblance to their avatar.

I do. That’s me sitting across the table from you having a good ol’ conversation. :greetings10:

Who?
Souschef :)

Even though I'm sure I know him.. and with jeanie, have traveled the world with him and Kathy.

Places I've heard of, dreamed of, and now feel like I've seen... places that no one has ever experienced in real life. As a writer extraordinaire he brought what were just pictures, into our world. Hey... how many people do you know that could fly a Russian MIG-15.

One at a time, we've been going on trips that most could only dream of.

BTW...he lies about their age... I'm quite sure they are 45. :LOL:

I know two people that have posted here, in the past. Neither post here any longer. One just quit posting, one was banned but both still lurk on occasions, so they say.

I met REWahoo and Nords (who took me surfing :) - that was over ten or so years ago. I remember REWahoo and his wife telling me and my then husband we were well on our way and not to worry....didn't believe him....do now :)

I added some material to Nords book on the Reserve perspective and we've 'chatted' via email every now and then. He's since become quite famous and popular ;-)

Would love to meet many of you - you all have interesting perspectives and we are all on a similar journey with a similar mindset of time>money and LYBM and spend only on what you value....

Not often is it OK to say "I told ya so" but I think this is one of those times. :)

Geez, folks, life is too short to miss a meetup... even if you're INTJ like me.

Deserat was one of the first people I met up with (2005? 2006?), and I taught her to surf. Since then I've gone surfing with (or taught to surf) dozens of people from various financial-independence communities. I should've kept count, because by now the number must be approaching 100.

REWahoo and I have met up several times over the years. Thank you again for all of your hospitality!

Over a decade ago, this forum's Houston posters brought my daughter's attention to Rice University. (She was a lot happier there than she would've been at the Naval Academy.) I met up with the Houston posters a couple times during Rice family weekends. BTW my daughter graduated in '14 with her degree in civil and environmental engineering, she's wrapping up her five-year active-duty obligation in a couple months, and she's affiliating with the Reserves.

JDarnell and I are good friends. I can remember meetups with SamClem, Brewer (a couple times), Gumby, and ESRBob (when his house was his sculpture workshop). TromboneAl and I have surfed together a couple times.

Laurence, BigDawg, and several more of us have met in Waikiki over the years.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few people... my apologies in advance.

Local chapters and meetups have become a standard practice on financial-independence forums. The Bogleheads have a chapter organization on their forum, and of course they have their forum's large annual meetup.

The ChooseFI community has a huge (global) chapter system, and our ChooseFI Honolulu chapter meets up at least quarterly. (We're meeting up this Friday.) One of the members lives less than a mile from us and it turns out that I voted for her in the last state rep elections. (She came in second.) There's a substantial number of military families in the ChooseFI groups, too.

BiggerPockets also has a bunch of local chapters, and the Oahu group attracts about 30 people. An offshoot of a 2017 BiggerPockets meetup is now hosted by a local Marine (FromMilitaryToMillionaire) and we meet up monthly at Kailua Beach Park.

I've met hundreds of people through FinCon, and I check in with the Facebook group for local meetups at every city when we're on travel. It's the same with the Mustachians (especially Camp Mustache alumni) and CampFI alumni.

I'm sure many of you already have local E-R.org meetups, and you could organize local chapters on this forum.

I'd love to meet Nords, and not just because he lives in Hawaii.
Let me know when you're out here!

I realize that Virginia is a big state, but if you haven't already then you might want to connect with the Mustachian Hampton Roads Facebook group. They might know of a FI group in your area. There's also David Baughier of FIology and CampFI who lives in Chesapeake. He's retiring from his Navy instructor duty in a year or two and looking forward to a new FI life. He may also know more FI groups or people spread around your area.

Marge and I have two East-Coast trips planned this year: CampFI over Memorial Day Weekend (Spring Grove, VA) and FinCon on 4-7 Sep (Washington DC). The first one might start in April and end with CampFI, but we're still working on an in-laws family reunion and those plans won't firm up for another few weeks. The FinCon portion of the second trip is going to start in late August and finish on 10 September, to be followed by Chautauqua Portugal Week I on 21 September. Then we're going to enjoy our 90-day Schengen visa until late November.

We're doing most of that travel on military Space A flights so I suspect that we'll be visiting several military bases across the country to reach our destinations.

I’ve met a handful of E-R folks and found all of them very interesting and nice folks. It would be nice to meet more @ some sort of recurring meet-up here in the SF Bay Area but, alas, the one time I tried to organize one (for a going away), we got only three of us. Maybe we should try again to see if we can convince all these introverts to get out of the house. :greetings10:

I thought everyone had some resemblance to their avatar.

Even if I re-grew all my hair or wore a wig I still don’t think I’d look anything like my avatar :nonono:

Even if I re-grew all my hair or wore a wig I still don’t think I’d look anything like my avatar :nonono:

I'm not currently using it as an avatar, but nobody would recognize me from my photo taken about the same time. I still have my hair but it's all white now. :eek: Those were the days!

Attachments

• Jeepster.jpg
    Jeepster.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 104
I'm not currently using it as an avatar, but nobody would recognize me from my photo taken about the same time. I still have my hair but it's all white now. :eek: Those were the days!

Looks like Eva to me! :cool:

:D :D :D THANKS!!! What a nice compliment. :)

I think Alan looks like a rock star in his old photo! Lookin' good, Alan.

Some years ago when a friend at work saw this photo, he said that he couldn’t decide if he was looking at the missing Beatle or the missing link.

Some years ago when a friend at work saw this photo, he said that he couldn’t decide if he was looking at the missing Beatle or the missing link.

:ROFLMAO: He was joking, of course! It's obvious that you were secretly the missing Beatle (or some other rock star).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 108
Senator & anyone else earning double-digit cap rates via direct real estate investing.
+1. I have the chance to meet up with Senetor he lives on the other end of town. Seems him and I are so busy goong back and forth to FL it hasnt happened yet.

:ROFLMAO: He was joking, of course! It's obvious that you were secretly the missing Beatle (or some other rock star).

+1

This is so great! I always thought this about your pic Alan! :D

+1

This is so great! I always thought this about your pic Alan! :D

I figured that it was safe to use as there was little chance that image matching sites would ever be able to identify me. :D

I look nothing like my avatar, do occasionally have the attitude though. Somwhere on this board is an actual photo of me driving an old boat. Maybe 40 years ago.

W2R, imoldernu, Alan, Michael and ,oh-so many others.......

If I had to choose one and only one, it would be a long conversation with imoldernu

Back
Top Bottom