Whole Foods Vs. The Competition - Who's Currently On Top

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
Here's an interesting article about the recent move by Amazon to reduce prices at WF and how that initially stacks up against the competition:

How do Whole Foods' new prices compare to Wal-Mart, Publix and Aldi? The answer is surprising | Doreen's Deals - Sun Sentinel

Whole Foods’ ambitious mission is to bring affordable, organic food to the masses while shedding its unflattering “Whole Paycheck” nickname.

For the moment, I’ll call it “85 Percent Paycheck.” New prices average about 15 percent less, according a New York Times story that compared receipts on identical items before and after the takeover.

That inspired me to go on a Doreen’s Deals shopping mission to conduct my own price comparisons to see how the new Whole Foods stacks up to other grocery stores.

I visited Wal-Mart, which is Amazon’s only true competitor, Trader Joe's, Publix, Aldi and The Fresh Market. On my list: Store brand organic bananas, apples, eggs, butter, milk, chicken and salmon. I added wine as a bonus, because, well, you know how I love a good, cheap bottle.

I must confess, I knew which store was is going to win my cheap challenge before I left the house. But, perhaps you’ll find the winner surprising.

Back
Top Bottom