Whole house fans

mclesters said:
Any rec. on brands? Perforated, right?
We just bought the rolls of foil-coated bubble wrap sold at Home Depot. I guess there are more sophisticated designs (especially in roof construction) but that's all that was available and it's done fine. We've even put it into walls whenever we've had them open for other reasons, and it makes an immediate difference.

We also stapled the foil to the attic rafters from peak to as far down as I could reach. Luckily we were able to skip the north side due to shading... I figured my rafter-crawling luck would run out at any minute and I'd be hanging upside down through the ceiling below.

We finally had to turn on our ceiling fans this week, but only in the afternoon. Next time we re-roof that part of the living room we're using more insulation. When the family bunny goes to his great reward and we renovate the familyroom, we're also going to rip off its roof & do it right. Then we may not even need the ceiling fans.

Jarhead* said:
This is incredible. Nords (Hawaii), giving advice to Laurence (San Diego), both living in arguably the best climates on this planet on how to be even more comfortable.
Comfort is easy. Now we're going for cheap!

Martha said:
Oh man, I love people's pictures.  Nords, you are the only person I know who can get both family cars in their garage. And look at those nicely stacked shelves.   :D
And how 'bout that ceiling-mounted longboard storage?

I've been stowed for sea for over two decades, much to the perpetual disgust of our teenager. 25 years after USNA I still feel like it's practically a defiant act of civil disobedience to leave my bed unmade. But our ER lifestyle ensures that it gets frequent daytime use, so it's more efficient to leave it that way...

Hey Nords, good advice! I'll check into that foil.

CFB, I can't believe I threw that one out there! :LOL: I'm the tool now!

Jarhead, REW, I fully admit to being a Weather Wussy. My parents are even worse, instead of 8 miles from the beach they are ~2 miles, and complain incessantly about the "extreme weather" at my house. "How can you survive in this 80 degree weather??" "Do you have a sweater, it must be 55 out!". :p

No extra charge Laurence! I think most married guys just hide in the bathroom or a closet or something, but the attic is definitely wife-safe ;) It takes someone with a truly disgusting mind to come up with that, fortunately it appears there are at least a couple of us around to step into the breach.

I remember my first week in california, in november. I was going to get on the bart and go into town, checked outside, it was in the mid 50's, so I put on a sweatshirt and some jeans. Got on the train and everyone inbound to SF was wearing coats and mittens, hats, etc. I finally leaned over and asked one bundled up guy "hey...i'm new in town...is it cold in san francisco this time of year?"..."Heck yeah! Its only going to be 55 today!". ::)

Weather wussies is right!

The radiant barriers are good ideas, however they're only highly effective if you put them up under the roof sheeting or attached to the trusses, not the attic floor. Reason is that when they get dusty, as they will after a couple of years, they lose a huge percentage of their ability to reject heat. The best plan is when building the home or doing a major roof renovation, to use the roof sheeting that has the radiant barrier already attached to the underside of the sheeting.

The heat is really a war of attrition here. Keep it out of the house as long as possible in the morning, then get it the heck out in the late evening. Heck, I sprayed a little water up on the roof a few days ago around 3pm while I was watering and got steam!

Which reminds me, I need to buy a few sacks of insulation to beef up a couple of areas this friday morning when I go up to do the annual a/c maintenance...boogers put the unit in the attic to save space :p

Back
Top Bottom