Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Who's Sleeping in Your Bed?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who's Sleeping in Your Bed?

No...not that...

Fluffy or Fido, that is...

Pet reader survey: Where do Fluffy and Fido sleep? - Paw Print Post: A community for Dog, Cat, and Pet Owners - USATODAY.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Listen to the explanation

Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Administrator

Every horizontal surface in the house (and most of the vertical ones too) belongs to the cats. Just ask them. They sleep wherever they want, which is usually next to the young wife in our bed.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My little pug-mix snuggles close at all times...even in this beastly hot weather.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If not on the sofa, in bed with me.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We have two Golden Retrievers who join us on the bed. Luckily, they go back down on the floor as soon as I start kicking out a bit. But they come back up and get in my face when they want breakfast.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #7

My dog mostly sleeps in her own bed next to mine. She tends to start her night under my bed and by morning she is in her own bed. On nights, with fireworks or thunder she might end up in my bed, walking and panting all over me. The last few nights, with the fireworks have been sleepless nights for both of us.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #8

Our border collie will sleep on the bed when we are gone, or between 7 and 9 when we are watching TV and he does not think we will come into the bed room.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #9

My 2 Jack Russell Terriers sleep with me, sometimes under the bedspread if they think it's cool at night. It's amazing how 40 lbs of dogs can hog the bed.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Best bedsleeper ever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010373.JPG (398.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Wow.... a lot of people who sleep with animals....

I do not allow our cat in the bedroom... now, I think my wife will not yell at her to get out if she wonders in when she is cleaning etc. I recently was looking around the house for the cat and could not find her... went into the bedroom and she looked up at me from her laying on the bed... shooed her out...

I also can not figure out why people let their cat take over the house... I do not allow ours on any table... she KNOWS not to go there... I have seen her on the couch putting one paw on the end table.... and then looking around before taking it off.... I have seen her on the kitchen counter twice when we first got her... I can understand her wanting to be there as there is a nice ledge with a corner window she can look out... but NOOOOO... if she gets there now, she knows to get off before I see her...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We do not allow our cats in the bedroom at night because they keep waking us up (they snore, purr and move too much!). But one of our cats sleeps on our bed during the day.

Our cats are not allowed on tables or kitchen counters, though they are allowed on my desk - they picked up the habit in their foster family when they were kittens. They know the rule and we have never caught them on a table or kitchen counter. But paw prints all over our freshly waxed furniture tell us that even if we have never caught them in the act, they still do whatever they want in our house. Sometimes I walk down the hallway and they hear me come so they jump off the dining room table (I know they do because I can hear the characteristic sound of a cat landing on the floor) and by the time I get there, the cat is sitting on the floor looking perfectly innocent. No way to discipline them. Cats are too smart...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

We used to try to keep the cats off of certain spaces, but gave that up a long time ago. Right now, we have maybe one cat in bed at night, but the winter is another story. We sometimes wake up in the winter all kinked up beause the 3 cats have picked the best spots.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

No animals (the four legged kind) sleep with me....

My SIL and her DH lets their four pugs sleep with them. Have you ever heard a pug snore...multiply that by 4.

btw Is99, haven't heard that song in a long time...great guitar licks.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Trying to keep our cats off the bed at night is an exercise in futility. One of them is constantly welded to my wife's side.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Trying to keep our cats off the bed at night is an exercise in futility. One of them is constantly welded to my wife's side.
Ditto! The old Border Collies stay on the floor, but we sleep with at least 2 or 3 cats and the new "purse dog" Biscuit. If it is cold, we could wind up with as many as 5 or 6 cats plus an extra dog now and again.

But with 5 dogs and 7 cats, they run the place. We don't let them on the counters when we are home. When we aren't home, I would imagine they do whatever they want.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Goldilocks of course!
But then I am a bear....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Some memories.

Years ago the night time gathering (at least in cold weather) included 2 people and four cats (two of which liked to sleep under the covers but didn't like each other).

Now it's me and one cat. He usually sleeps on the bed near my feet. In this recent hot weather he has been sleeping next to the bed. Woke up and almost stood on him the other day.

khan on mornoing bed.jpg
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My two dogs have their own beds on the floor. They sometimes stray off them and lie down on the floor between me and the door, but if I wake up and catch them, they are firmly told to get back on their beds. Good puppies!
The fish sleep in the aquarium.
I do share my bed with Patch, the 5 foot stuffed dog who doubles as a body pillow.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I sleep with my 20 lbs Jack Russell Terrier mix (mixed with ShihTzu). He is a wonderful dog, playful and sweet, and kind to all people and other animals. He was a stray dog for the first 4 years of his life; now that he has discovered creature comforts he thoroughly enjoys them so much; I am glad that I am able to provide a soft warm bed for him every night. And my being in the same bed seems to make him feel more protected. He snuggles. It is not much effort from my part yet it gives him so much joy that it is totally worth it to have to wash the sheets more frequently. (I do wipe his paws whenever he comes in from the outside.)
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote