Why do we enjoy it when others are wrong, yet hate it when we're wrong?

When I was young, it was much more likely that people being wrong would bother me, and I would want to correct them. With age, however, I've found out three things: 1) I know much less than I once thought I did; 2) I generally no longer care enough to fix other people's factual mistakes; and 3) in matters of opinion, no one is ever convinced to change.
+1. I still get the urge, but I pass more often these days...

I am constantly amused by the heated discussions about The Rules of Golf that come up in my Ladies' League. I'm all for proper etiquette, but some of this is like debating how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. It's just a game, people!

USGA: Read the Rules and Decisions

While I realize you may think it's silly, if you are a golfer then surely you understand the significance of being able to remove a pear in front of (or next to) your ball when it's in a bunker?

I realize that many people simply play golf to have fun, and don't really care about the rules. But for those who wish to truly follow the game, it makes it more meaningful if you play the ball as it lay in accordance with all of the rules. A golf handicap that is based on scores which don't follow the rules is not a true handicap. And if you don't ask for clarification, you won't know.

As the great George Tirebiter put it so well, "You can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right."

Back
Top Bottom