Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why I like Jon Stewart
Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why I like Jon Stewart

Just watch the video.

FinanceProfessor.com: YouTube - Jon Stewart vs Jim Cramer Interview Fight on Daily Show
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glen Beck/Jon Stewart - same coin different sides.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You really believe that Dex? I can see the Keith Olbermann/Glen Beck coin. But Stewart is a different animal.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
You really believe that Dex? I can see the Keith Olbermann/Glen Beck coin. But Stewart is a different animal.
Agree. My opinion of Jon Stewart changed when he did the CNN crossfire interview with Tucker Carlson. And for most of the last decade he was more focused on media than political satire.

Olbermann - Beck is a great example. BTW, did you read the Olbermann interview in the NY Times sunday mag?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #5

I like Jon Stewart in small doses. I saw him in a stand up comedy gig a few years ago at a college and he was really funny. A little crude, but funny. And hugely popular with the college crowd.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think The Daily Show is very entertaining, as long as you don't confuse it with news. Stewart clearly weaves social/political commentary into his shows, but it is the Comedy Channel. Some people seem to get their news from The Daily Show, I'll bet Stewart knows it and thinks it's hilarious...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #7

The Daily Show is political satire pure and simple, but he usually nails it more than often than not. He is polite to his guests but still asks some pretty tough questions and doesn't let them off the hook easily. Probably a more fair and balanced view of current events that you can get on any of the so called news networks.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The Daily Show is political satire pure and simple, but he usually nails it more than often than not. He is polite to his guests but still asks some pretty tough questions and doesn't let them off the hook easily. Probably a more fair and balanced view of current events that you can get on any of the so called news networks.
My 27-year-old son heartily agrees with you.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I enjoy trying to figure out if anyone has told his guests that it's a comedy show...

I wonder how many Secret Service snipers were in the wings when Stewart had Obama on the set.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I wonder how many Secret Service snipers were in the wings when Stewart had Obama on the set.
With the cross hairs on Stewart just in case he backed "The Boss" into an awkward situation. If Obama was asked something he didn't want to talk about, Stewart's head exploding from the impact of the bullet would be sure to change the subject!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
K. Olberman (saw a few times) is more like David Letterman to me.

There are similarities - GB/JS

Background
Radio comedian/Stand up comedian
Strong belief-Religious/Strong belief-Agnostic
Methods - (heavy) teacher, (light) sarcastic, humor / (light) teacher, (heavy) sarcastic, humor
Populist/Populist -

Their politics are different but their solutions, positions and responses are predictable.
Politics
- the problems
Progressives, Big Government/The Right, Big Business

Politics - the solution
The individual, less government/more government regulation & programs

Among the three - KO, GB, JS - Stewart brings the least information & knowledge to the table and in a way the least novel - except for the sarcasm. He does have the occasional insight - similar to a lot of comedians. I think if JS were to do a regular 1 hour show like GB or KO without interviewees and gags his weaknesses would show. They don't in the current formant.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
My 27-year-old son heartily agrees with you.
You have a wise son !
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Stewart is pretty good, but Stephen Colbert is my idol.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
Stewart is pretty good, but Stephen Colbert is my idol.
Did he also pay you for voting in his space-station naming campaign?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't watch much of any of the names mentioned in this thread, but I have seen some of Jon Stewart, and when he is at his best, I do think he is excellent.

I did see the clip mentioned, and I don't think it's a good example of Stewart at all. Cramer!!?? Give me a break, that's like shooting fish in a barrel. Making a screaming idiot look like an idiot doesn't take any talent.

I did like this one from him. The audience seemed rather uncomfortable, like they weren't sure if they should laugh at the barbs or not:

Jon Stewart slams media for missing ACORN story: 'Where the hell were you!?' | Washington Examiner

The Audacity of Hos - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 9/15/2009 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

My favorite line " STEWART:I'm sure ACORN has a line they won't cross.... (decoy asks for help in bringing underage sex slaves into the country)... STEWART: Please tell me this is the line..." Surprise (watch the video ~ 2 minutes in)!

Yep, I like Jon Stewart sometimes!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
I would agree. At least he appears on O'Rilley, and Bill O. returns the favor to be on the Daily Show.

No, they don't agree, but at least they appear together to throw barbs. Both show much more class than those that would not appear on an "enemy" network (or walk off stage if they have a problem with a guest ...).

Maybe you could say that they are both "fair and balanced", in their own way ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #17

For pure barb throwing, this is and always will be my favorite between Dick Cavett and Norman Mailer and Gore Vidal. I love Cavett's comments back to Mailer's insults in the last few seconds of this video...LMAO :

I have to agree with Mill, tho: For pure wit and classic zinger style, I have to also go with Colbert. Nobody can top that smart@ss!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a huge difference between politics and logic. Stewart has a funny way of pointing it out. When people in power say stupid things, listening to Stewart point it out stops me from banging my head against the wall.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
For pure barb throwing, this is and always will be my favorite between Dick Cavett and Norman Mailer and Gore Vidal. I love Cavett's comments back to Mailer's insults in the last few seconds of this video...LMAO :
Very good, thanks! I loved the earlier barb from Cavett as he was arranging his chair to side with the others - "would you like another chair to contain your exceeding large intellect?" That's a pretty classy way to tell someone they're making a huge ass of themselves!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Cramer's Mad Money is an entertainment show. He does not get paid to throw mud at executives the SEC or the administration. Stewart does that provided it provides humor.