Wildfire

I saw a map in Friday's WSJ of the affected areas. It appears that three of the four places I stayed are ashes now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Agree. They are now saying this fire will burn for months. Looks to me like it has now burned past Fort Mac and is unlikely to cause much more damage to man made structures. Current efforts seem to be in putting out "hot spots" in town so that damage can be assessed and people can start to return. This will very likely be the most costly natural disaster in Canada's history. Maybe approaching $10 billion if the media hasn't exaggerated too much.

Insurance co's and banks will be taking very large provisions, no doubt.

This may be misleading. Real estate up there was wildly overpriced when I was there. And if lost timber acreage is included, I would be sceptical. The trees up there are the saddest excuse for trees I have ever seen. It is a mystery why the greenies wanted to protect the 'arboreal forest' from the evil 'tar sands' industry. Now they won't have to, I suppose.

Must have been a while ago. Look at the Demographics tab and the Municipal Census. Fort Mac was a boomtown until the price of oil tanked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_McMurray

Yeah, I was there about 10 years ago, but reading that link, it looks like it was still growing even after oil tanked. It appears that the government may have started to include the 'shadow' population into the census, but either way, Ft Mac was still growing.

I am amazed that the fire jumped the Athabasca River. It looks like the golf course is gone, too.

Last edited:
For some reason, many Americans dislike the arrogant, "we're better than you" attitudes of some wealthy Canadians visiting Sunbelt areas. I guess we all need to get along.........

When Americans act in such a manner abroad, people of other nationalities feel the same way. We all need humility and respect for one another.

This may be misleading. Real estate up there was wildly overpriced when I was there. And if lost timber acreage is included, I would be sceptical. The trees up there are the saddest excuse for trees I have ever seen. It is a mystery why the greenies wanted to protect the 'arboreal forest' from the evil 'tar sands' industry. Now they won't have to, I suppose.

Agree. I was thinking of insured assets. Agree the forest isn't much to look at nor worth much. Doubt it would be insured by anyone. I am a little concerned as my portfolio includes a heavy weighting in banks that operate large P&C insurance businesses.

Back
Top Bottom