Will you let Amazon unlock your front door for deliveries?

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25...livery-unlock-door-prime-cloud-cam-smart-lock

You buy Amazon's new Cloud Cam and a compatible lock (Yale or Kwikset makes them) that talk to each other.
When a courier arrives with a package for in-home delivery, they scan the barcode, sending a request to Amazon’s cloud. If everything checks out, the cloud grants permission by sending a message back to the camera, which starts recording. The courier then gets a prompt on their app, swipes the screen, and voilà, your door unlocks. They drop off the package, relock the door with another swipe, and are on their way. The customer will get a notification that their delivery has arrived, along with a short video showing the drop-off to confirm everything was done properly.
It starts Nov 8 in the 37 cities where Amazon uses it's own delivery team. You can buy the camera/lock package with installation for $250. I'm pretty the camera can also be used for your own security purposes, recording and perhaps notifying you in real time of someone in front of your door.

Sounds scary to begin with but it seems like it's probably a good system to make sure they only set the package in and go. Some questions I would have though:

What if someone steals or hacks the system and gains access to your house, wearing a mask to disguise their identity?

What about pets? Some cats and dogs are escape artists and will zip out an open door in an instant. Or what about a dog that protects the house and attacks the delivery person? You can say those people shouldn't get the system, but many pet owners fool themselves that their pets would never bit someone.

What if they don't shut a sticky door well, and it blows open leaving your home unsecured for burglars, animals, and weather? I'm sure Amazon would take responsibility but it could be a major nuisance to deal with the damage, not to mention the safety aspect.

I'm remote and may never be in an area where Amazon handles deliveries, I have a covered porch, and aren't really worried about packages being stolen, so this isn't for me. Interesting concept though. Any takers?

I think if I had issues with package theft I'd have some kind of lock box storage system where the delivery person locks the package in a box, drops the key in the slot, and I have a second key or the combination code to unlock it. I'm sure there are solutions out there, and see a few on Amazon, so I'm not going to invent one on the fly.

Not a chance. I'm also not putting the Echo Spot camera in my bedroom. Amazon has it's place, but just like spiders and snakes the doorframe is the boundary. Like you, if I had problems with packages being stolen I'd get a lockable box or something like that.

You first...

I saw that you can also use the system to unlock the door for people you choose, so if you want to let in a dog walker, house cleaner, plumber, etc, it would be good for that. Personally we are retired, so it's easy enough to be home for anything we've scheduled, and in case of an emergency while we're out of town, our next door neighbor has a key.

And after this device I want to be a ward of Amazon so they can order things for me from Amazon with my money.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I probably wouldn't do it just for the simple fact that our front door is covered and at a 90 degree angle from the street, so any packages delivered are not obvious unless you walk down our pretty long walk and into the covered area and our entire property is already covered with security cameras. Plus, if you have an alarm system, I am not sure how this would be overridden unless it can be integrated into the alarm system.

What I do find somewhat interesting is that a lot of people are very concerned with it being "hacked" and gaining entrance to the house.Perhaps some people don't realize that without door/access hardening, it is VERY easy to gain entry into most front doors and it can be done very quickly and quietly...no hacking required.

What would be nice is if the major delivery services agreed to and provided a container/box with an electronic lock that only they and the owner could unlock. You set the box outside, chained or bolted to the floor. No more stolen packages- personally I've been lucky since 1999 getting stuff from amazon, walmart, macys etc all online services I've only lost two packages. In my experience UPS is awesome, FedEx is a hit/miss, USPS is awful when it comes to damaged boxes, ripped open boxes and contents inspected.

I put a deck box outside my door on my driveway. UPS and everyone else generally uses it. It works great to keep stuff out of sight and out of the weather.

What would be nice is if the major delivery services agreed to and provided a container/box with an electronic lock that only they and the owner could unlock. You set the box outside, chained or bolted to the floor. No more stolen packages- personally I've been lucky since 1999 getting stuff from amazon, walmart, macys etc all online services I've only lost two packages. In my experience UPS is awesome, FedEx is a hit/miss, USPS is awful when it comes to damaged boxes, ripped open boxes and contents inspected.

Not exactly as you describe, but there is the "UPS Store", the "USPS Post Office Box" and "FedEx Kinkos" delivery service(s). And Amazon already has designated secured drop off places in most large markets. So if you are in a decent size city, it's already possible to have packages delivered a little more safely than just dropping on your front porch.

Nonetheless, in the last 5 years, I have had 2 packages disappear (both Amazon) and they re-shipped it within a day at no charge.

...Plus, if you have an alarm system, I am not sure how this would be overridden unless it can be integrated into the alarm system.

What I do find somewhat interesting is that a lot of people are very concerned with it being "hacked" and gaining entrance to the house.Perhaps some people don't realize that without door/access hardening, it is VERY easy to gain entry into most front doors and it can be done very quickly and quietly...no hacking required.
I did think about that while I was typing. I guess the only thing this makes easier for an intruder is that if they know there is such a system in place, it's either set up to not set off the alarm, or there isn't an alarm. If an intruder is just going up to a random door and planning on prying/punching it open, they don't know whether there will be an alarm to alert neighbors or limit their time until police come.

I did think about that while I was typing. I guess the only thing this makes easier for an intruder is that if they know there is such a system in place, it's either set up to not set off the alarm, or there isn't an alarm.

And this is a very good point. If the locks all look the same (and I don't know why they wouldn't), then the thieves will pick up on this flaw very quickly. Although, alarms don't dissuade as much as some may think. When watching the local news, I often see reports on home invasions and more times than not, there is an alarm sign in the yard.

My DW told me about a tenant her company had that had the alarm trip one day, but nothing was stolen (door was busted in, though). The next day, the alarm triggered again but this time stuff was stolen. The police told them that it was very common for thieves to trip an alarm and then watch from a distance to see how long it takes for the police to arrive. If response is slow, then they hit the house a day or two later. We use the alarm for situational awareness only, we are notified of an alarm by text, but the police are not. The reason, you ask? I don't want to come home to a burglary in progress and I don't want the police coming out and shooting our excited dog.

I'm not as concerned about the hacking, and I agree that most doors can be accessed fairly easily. I just don't like the idea of giving easy and legal access to my house to people I don't know. The only people I know who've had their home robbed have all had inside jobs, where the robber knew someone who had access to the house (handyman, things like that). I've hardened my doorframes and hardware, but I've got windows. If someone want to come in they will. But I see know reason to let them come in and look around to see what's worth stealing while I'm not home.

As far as the hacking, I'm pretty much against the whole "Internet of Things" concept. I worked in network security for years, and am aware how crappy security is in general. Internet connected refrigerators, nanny cams, Echoes, etc. are being churned out right and left with not only default security settings, but many without the option to even change them. I never considered myself a Luddite, but I'll be fine with letting other people have the bugs worked out on them before I buy in.

For us there is simply no need for the product/service. Neither one of us works so we're home most of the time anyway and so far I've never had a package stolen off the porch.

My 2 tiny dogs are escape artists and the big guy might bite someone if he thought they might harm the little ones.

No, never.

I have to wonder if insurers will wrap any, ands buts or ifs around their home insurance policies.

Our neighborhood has had a rash of stolen amazon packages. Nextdoor.com is full of reports, pics of the perps, etc. The habit is for the thieves to follow the amazon truck... and get the package soon after it is delivered...

Even with that - I wouldn't sign up with this product. Our porch has hedges in front... so packages aren't visible from the street... And our dog would not be so happy.

Not exactly as you describe, but there is the "UPS Store", the "USPS Post Office Box" and "FedEx Kinkos" delivery service(s). And Amazon already has designated secured drop off places in most large markets. So if you are in a decent size city, it's already possible to have packages delivered a little more safely than just dropping on your front porch.

Nonetheless, in the last 5 years, I have had 2 packages disappear (both Amazon) and they re-shipped it within a day at no charge.

Yeah but my idea is slicker ;) The container/box will be at your front door step that only the major delivery services could unlock using their handheld electronic device (which changes the code (rolling code) automatically each time its used) :greetings10:

No, I would never do this.

I have never had a package stolen, although when I expect a package I do tend to stay home or pass by frequently.

But what if I started having stolen packages? Well, my detached garage has a locked door on it. I suppose that if worst comes to worst, I would allow them to do the same but put the package in my garage.

Yeah but my idea is slicker ;) The container/box will be at your front door step that only the major delivery services could unlock using their handheld electronic device (which changes the code (rolling code) automatically each time its used) :greetings10:

And I'm sure they'll store those codes and it's algorithm securely, maybe on the Equifax servers. I'd give that about a week.

Actually there are establishments that provide this service essentially the private mail box companies such as the UPS store, who will accept deliveries from anyone. When I lived in Houston I did this to avoid the packages walking off or waiting 1/2 to 1 hour to pick up the package at the post office.
For non perishable items of course if you have a cluster mail box there are typically a couple of parcel lockers and when you get a parcel the key is put in the mail box.

The only issue is that some places won't ship to a place that is not the billing address.

In any case I am retired and home most of the time, and not in a city where Amazon is ever likley to provide
its own delivery most of my Amazon Packages now come via the USPS. (Amazon drops them off at the local post office)

Why would they have to unlock it... they can just turn the knob like anyone else. ;)

No. We don't have a problem with thieves snagging packages. But I wouldn't have a problem with them putting packages in my garage. They do that now if the door is open.

Back
Top Bottom