Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Wimpy Shower Heads/PSA
Old 04-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wimpy Shower Heads/PSA

[mod edit] wimpy shower heads. While I understand that there are areas of the country where water conservation is critical, DW and I are not in that situation.

Quite a few years ago I was successful in modifying one of the wimps into quite a good shower head. With plans to build another house, I jumped back into working the problem:

The first thing I bought was this large 2 1/4” diameter head: https://www.highpressureshowerheads....GULTIMATE.html After removing the flow-restriction plug from the threaded connection end, I made some internal mods and drilled out the six sprayers. The result was much better but not what I was looking for. It’s a really well made device, though. All solid brass with a couple of rubber washers and no plastic parts. So, continuing my quest I discovered that this head had a little brother, nominally 1 3/4” inch diameter. The tip-off was the knurled ring where the top section unscrews from the bottom. I bought identical devices from two suppliers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GDASF8...roduct_details and https://www.homedepot.com/p/Speakman...2292/203016940

Simply removing the flow restriction washer transforms these smaller heads significantly. Anyone who wants some more flow but does not want to hassle around with internal modifications would probably be happy with this simple fix. (Looking into the threaded end, remove the rubber washer, grab the plastic disc with needle nose pliers and toss it. Replace the rubber washer. Done.)

My next step was internal modifications that made for an satisfyingly fierce blast. I used a drill press but anyone with a portable drill motor and a small vice could do the same simple things in less than 15 minutes.

[mod edit] if people do want a really good high-flow/high-pressure head let me know here in the thread and I will add instructions for the full mod and take some pictures.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You renegade, next you'll probably tell us you've removed the "do not remove under penalty of law" from your mattress. Lol
Old 04-04-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
You renegade, next you'll probably tell us you've removed the "do not remove under penalty of law" from your mattress. Lol
It's illegal to sell high-flow domestic shower heads. AFIK it's not illegal to make or use them. <mod edit>
Old 04-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
He probably also uses a hundred watt incandescent light bulb.

For those wanting a good head for a low pressure situation, we’ve used this one and is the best we’ve found. No modifications required. Still, they have a tendency to feel like they are blowing air along with the water and it’s hard to feel like the spray is actually warm.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/High-Sie...kGV13XdpwE3Uo0
Old 04-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
It's illegal to sell high-flow domestic shower heads. AFIK it's not illegal to make or use them. <mod edit>
I did not know they stopped making high-flow shower heads for sale in the US. I guess I can never move because I absolutely hate when I go somewhere that has lower-flow shower heads. I don't use less water, just have to take a much longer shower which is a pain in the a$$. Options are good but mandating something like this is not good.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've heard one can 3D print an high flow shower head with no serial numbers and it is untraceable.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[mod edit] if people do want a really good high-flow/high-pressure head let me know here in the thread and I will add instructions for the full mod and take some pictures.
Wasn't this an episode of Seinfeld?
Old 04-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[mod edit] I'm with you both on this one.

I, too, have been known to drill out the flow restriction plate. I have a couple which are similar to, but even shorter than, the Home Depot one posted above. I don't need 10 different patterns of "gentle rain." I just want a good stream of water to wash and (especially) rinse off with.

Although there's no shortage of water in my house, on the boat we have a limited supply and I try to economize. I think a stronger flow really does use less water in the long run. I also have a real shut-off valve on the shower head for when I'm soaping up, instead of those "dribbling" ones.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

We purchased a Speakman basic shower head a couple years ago and removed the flow restrictor prior to installation. As you might expect, there are YouTube videos that show exactly how to do this. The Speakman is old school quality and simplicity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 63CEFA33-BC17-406D-BD87-4D040C97FDE3.jpeg (14.7 KB, 380 views)
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
We purchased a Speakman basic shower head a couple years ago and removed the flow restrictor prior to installation. As you might expect, there are YouTube videos that show exactly how to do this. The Speakman is old school quality and simplicity.
Yes. One of the two I bought is branded Speakman. The other is branded Kingston. Probably the manufacturer sells to other private label customers as well. For a low-priced consumer product they are exceptionally well made.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:

The first thing I bought was this large 2 1/4” diameter head: https://www.highpressureshowerheads....GULTIMATE.html After removing the flow-restriction plug from the threaded connection end, I made some internal mods and drilled out the six sprayers. The result was much better but not what I was looking for. It’s a really well made device, though. All solid brass with a couple of rubber washers and no plastic parts. So, continuing my quest I discovered that this head had a little brother, nominally 1 3/4” inch diameter. The tip-off was the knurled ring where the top section unscrews from the bottom. I bought identical devices from two suppliers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GDASF8...roduct_details and https://www.homedepot.com/p/Speakman...2292/203016940

Simply removing the flow restriction washer transforms these smaller heads significantly. Anyone who wants some more flow but does not want to hassle around with internal modifications would probably be happy with this simple fix. (Looking into the threaded end, remove the rubber washer, grab the plastic disc with needle nose pliers and toss it. Replace the rubber washer. Done.)

My next step was internal modifications that made for an satisfyingly fierce blast. I used a drill press but anyone with a portable drill motor and a small vice could do the same simple things in less than 15 minutes.

I can't stand low flow shower heads. I've removed all the flow restrictors in the shower heads currently in our house (except for the one in my shower, more on this...) I am very interested in your internal mods. I am currently remodeling the main bathroom and will be replacing the shower head.

In my shower I've kept the ugly Water-Pik hand-held shower head setup because it BLASTS water. I tried replacing it many years ago and was so disappointed in the water flow from the replacement head (with flow restrictor removed) that I remounted the 30 year old Water-Pik.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #12
Administrator

[mod note] Gratuitous references to individual politicians were removed from multiple posts. They added nothing to the discussion but did distract some members. No need to poke the pig.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Agree with OldShooter re: shower heads. Over ten years ago I think, I posted my modifications of wimpy shower heads. They still work fine and spew water at prodigious flow. Though occasiaonal soaking in vinegar is still required to restore the proper blast.
And have tossed the toilets with the miniflush capactiy to older full flush models.
Even with these satisfying mods, I still get charged for 3000 gallons of water per quarter, when my highest water use is around 2200 gallons per quarter, even in summer when watering lawn and garden.

Am sure those whu made the rules for this low flow stuff do not pratice what they preach.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to have to go and measure ours at our 'new' place. It provides a good enough flow for me. The pressure here was pretty high the last time I checked ~ 70 PSI. Our old place was on a well, so that cycles between 4and 60 PSI as the pressure tank fills/empties. IIRC, when I measured in the previous home, they were ~ 2~2.5 GPM, which I felt was OK.

The kid's were complaining about their shower, but this was after they moved out, so they only used it when spending the night. Then I had to use it when we were re-caulking ours, it was awful - I told the kids they needed to complain LOUDER!

I was pretty sure I had removed the flow restrictor, but then I found another rubber washer that was twisted and really restricting the flow. Got that worked out, and it was much better.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We've been quite happy with these high pressure low flow heads. Itty bitty things, they put out a high velocity "cloud" of droplets that gives a vigorous skin feel. Too much vigor for DSD with the sensitive skin, I have to put back the "wand" when she visits.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #16

Switched all of ours out to this brand a few years ago. Couldn't be happier with them. They break up the water into pretty large droplets with a fairly simple technique. No aeration, no feeling like I'm taking a shower with a mister. Also, we have hard water and they're pretty easy to descale and need so less frequently.

https://www.highsierrashowerheads.com/shop/classic/

Cheers.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
We've been quite happy with these high pressure low flow heads. Itty bitty things, they put out a high velocity "cloud" of droplets that gives a vigorous skin feel. Too much vigor for DSD with the sensitive skin, I have to put back the "wand" when she visits.
Yeah, we used one of those for years. Worked great. Went to a Speakman when I remodeled.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I hate low flow shower heads. If we had a "Pet Peeve of the Century" thread then I'd vote for low flow shower heads.

Besides, the supposed reason for them (that this will save water) is baloney IMO. At least it is in my case.

My water bill is never, ever over the minimum. You know me! I'm stingy and keep my usage down. So anyway, my water bill is the same every month. If TPTB want me to use less water, then they should charge me more for water and I'd cut back on my own volition, which I would much prefer to those gd low flow shower heads.

But do they? do they? Why no, they don't. Then I could enjoy my showers and get clean easily. That would make too much sense.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

They save energy too. The hot water doesn't get hot by itself.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
They save energy too. The hot water doesn't get hot by itself.

It does for about 5 months out of the year in Arizona. In the summer there is no cold tap.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote