Win 10 restarts

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I want to find out if something is happening to my computer or is this happening to everybody...

I have Win 10... my computer has been rebooting a LOT these past two weeks... probably 10 to 15 times... twice yesterday and once today..

Getting a bit upset as it seems every day I come to a computer with all the programs closed and me having to open everything that I was doing again... and I am bad that I do not always save my work if I walk away...

Have 3 win 10s. No reboots as you describe.

I had an update today that had two restarts, but it seemed to update and be done.

I want to find out if something is happening to my computer or is this happening to everybody...

I have Win 10... my computer has been rebooting a LOT these past two weeks... probably 10 to 15 times... twice yesterday and once today..

Getting a bit upset as it seems every day I come to a computer with all the programs closed and me having to open everything that I was doing again... and I am bad that I do not always save my work if I walk away...

On my newer PCs there is a diagnostics program that you can access during bootup.

I would run the extended hard drive test to see if you may have a failing hard drive.

I’ve had a lot of restarts recently in addition to the daily virus definition updates. I have Windows in a VM so it’s less disruptive, but they happen.

Mine only reboots after one of those obtrusive updates. Other than that, it is silent.

Same here, although they have been happening more frequently in the last few weeks, like every few days instead of once a week tops.

Have you checked the windows update log files?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/67283-read-windows-update-logs-windows-10-a.html Hopefully there's something useful there if it's having update problems.

Thanks for the link... downloading an app to see what I can see....

BUT, never thought about it doing updates multiple times when I an gone... so far today it has updated 13 times... yesterday 11...

Well, the app does not seem to work or I am doing it wrong... will keep trying...

It has been my experience that a failing fan is quite often the cause of reboots. When the machine exceeds a certain temperature, it will shut down. It will quickly cool down below that temperature and , if you have the computer set to restart, it will reboot. Not true in every case but a cause that doesn't spring to mind when frustration sets in.

This is very common, and there have been several updates in the past few weeks. Mine rebooted twice during the night. Win10 reboots are broadcast far less obviously then their predecessors (you can rarely delay, and don't get big "do you wan to now or later?" type messages so often).

When you go to put your PC on sleep or something, you'll see normally 3 options: sleep, shutdown, restart.

When an update is ready, it will add "update and restart" and Update and shutdown". if you miss those, it might just update anyway.

Either way, it's normal, and you need to adjust.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Win 10 :(.

I've had couple of updates the past couple of weeks.

I run scheduled backups around 5 am to 7 am and sometimes run stuff middle of night so have my Win 10 update window set for in the late afternoon. Usually, I'm on the computer at the time, but when I get asked if I wish to update now, say yes, and let the update happen.

Updates to have a mind of it's own as there's been times I had the PC on sleep or hibernate, but PC woke up anyhow as looked like was time for an update.

Either way, it's normal, and you need to adjust.

I know it's not for everyone, but these stories of computers rebooting w/o operator intervention make me glad I discovered Linux.

I have complete control over the update process. I sometimes don't reboot for a month at a time, just sleep it when I want.

-ERD50

I know it's not for everyone, but these stories of computers rebooting w/o operator intervention make me glad I discovered Linux.

I have complete control over the update process. I sometimes don't reboot for a month at a time, just sleep it when I want.

-ERD50

I have more than one computer. No need to limit myself to just one. When I do my taxes (use software on my desktop) and update my garmin GPS, I use a Win machine.

On the other hand, I prefer to run a linux program for a task like recording audio, video on computer.

For me, doesn't have to be either or. In other words, no need to limit myself to just one power drill when a couple will work better. The right tool for the job.

My main computer is Win due to familiarity. But I do like the feeling of no updates, ready or not on the linux side.

The one thing that fixes most problems is an OS reinstall. Windows Media Creation tool website will create an ISO you can use for a clean reinstall.

It has been my experience that a failing fan is quite often the cause of reboots. When the machine exceeds a certain temperature, it will shut down. It will quickly cool down below that temperature and , if you have the computer set to restart, it will reboot. Not true in every case but a cause that doesn't spring to mind when frustration sets in.

Funny... I was going to check out my computers fan and accidentally turn my computer off :facepalm:

I do not have it set to auto reboot... when my UPS died and before I got a new one when I had a blip on the electricity it was just off...

Back
Top Bottom