Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
Old 11-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Windows 10 Fall Creator Update

Microsoft forced this update, and now Windows 10 Home operating system
will not start on my DH's PC. Anyone else having issues with this update?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did the update and did not have any issues.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I did the update last week and had to add a few .exe programs to the default list of controlled access folders, a key new feature.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hard restart the PC several times. After the third or so, you'll be given the option to roll back to the earlier version.

If this doesn't help, tell us what you see on the screen when it "will not start".
Old 11-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I did the update and did not have any issues.
+1

My only issue was that it changed one of my default programs, so I changed it back.

F has an older laptop, and on some of those you soon discover that you have to manually restart the wireless connection each time you shut it down and restart. There is an easy fix for that online somewhere so he fixed it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I got the update yesterday. Actually fixed a couple of things they broke with the previous update.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. This is what he is currently seeing;

Powers on system - Windows icon with gear and message says "preparing".

System then restarts. After several minutes it restarts again. Nothing on screen between these restarts.

Then a windows icon with spinning gear and a restart. Message that operating system did not shut down cleanly.

Then windows icon with spinning gear and another restart. This cycle continues non-stop and goes no further.

My DH has done many hard shut downs as the only way to end this cycle. He is a experienced software engineer (Microsoft certified) and is baffled why this is happening.
He has created a recovery disc on a usb drive and is trying that. It's bizzare.

All suggestions welcome, but he may need to toss this very expensive, 6 month old Dell system out and buy a new PC.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I ran into a similar behavior with an earlier update. The install offered to roll back, which I accepted. I then downloaded the full update from Microsoft and installed that (after deleting the temporary installer files it had created) - that worked. I don’t think a recovery disk will help here. If nothing else, restore from a backup (he DOES have a backup, right?)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

Thanks Jonat. The roll back failed. The recovery disk failed. System reset failed. The disk drive is now empty. There is no windows system on the PC at all. Since the Windows 10 Home version has been so troublesome he is getting a Pro version today to install and try to better control these updates.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have had one minor problem with the Controlled Access Folders program within the Windows Defender options. If a friendly program tries to alter a protected folder, I get a notification which is fine. But, in the message, you don't get to see the entire folder name containing the program in question, just some incomplete name of the folder(s) before showing the name of the program. It's a considerable PITA to figure out the entire name so I can add it to the list of okay programs in Windows Defender's Controlled Access Folder.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Thanks for the replies. This is what he is currently seeing;

Powers on system - Windows icon with gear and message says "preparing".

System then restarts. After several minutes it restarts again. Nothing on screen between these restarts.

Then a windows icon with spinning gear and a restart. Message that operating system did not shut down cleanly.

Then windows icon with spinning gear and another restart. This cycle continues non-stop and goes no further.

My DH has done many hard shut downs as the only way to end this cycle. He is a experienced software engineer (Microsoft certified) and is baffled why this is happening.
He has created a recovery disc on a usb drive and is trying that. It's bizzare.

All suggestions welcome, but he may need to toss this very expensive, 6 month old Dell system out and buy a new PC.
No, just download Ubuntu onto a usb stick, and try it out before throwing away a perfectly good computer.

He can install Ubuntu on a usb stick making it bootable, then on the computer bios select boot from usb. He will know what this means. He can then try out Ubuntu before making the switch.

Yes Ubuntu is linux based, but all these modern OS's are very similar to use. With desktops, icons, etc.

The biggest issue he will have is the "X" to close a window is on the left corner instead of the right corner.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Thanks Jonat. The roll back failed. The recovery disk failed. System reset failed. The disk drive is now empty. There is no windows system on the PC at all. Since the Windows 10 Home version has been so troublesome he is getting a Pro version today to install and try to better control these updates.
I replied before I read further down.

Now is the perfect time for him to download and try Ubuntu. If the laptop has a cd drive, just use another computer to download it and burn the iso to the cd.

Then boot from the cd of the laptop and install it. It's FREE and great.

I switched about 3 yrs ago and no issues, update whenever I want, lots of free great programs come with the OS like LibreOffice suite that does MS Office files.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here's a stupid question ...

Is the Windows 10 Fall Creator Update an update to all Win 10 Home users? Or is that a different flavor of Win 10?

Win 10 didn't work with my old Dell desktop when I tried updating to the free update in 2016, so I've been on the sidelines until forced to give up my use Win 7 desktop.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windows 10 Fall Creator Update is for all Win 10 users.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update is for all Win 10 users.
Thanks. So, just Microsoft's way to say "Hey, update time again!" but under a somewhat fancy name .
Old 11-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Thanks. So, just Microsoft's way to say "Hey, update time again!" but under a somewhat fancy name .
Yeah, only this time Microsoft is saying, "(...) but this is not just a normal update. It is one of those humungous ones and it's going to take all afternoon, so might as well think of something else to do today."

Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #17

Thanks again for all the great replies. He has a disc with Ubuntu, but he needs to run Visual Studio 2017 and create Windows applications, and he does not think he can do this easily under a Linux environment. But thank you and good to know.

DH e-mailed Dell customer service yesterday (Sunday...so no reply....not surprising) and he got an email back this morning. The tech said (and I quote)
"Many innocent machines have been destroyed with Microsoft updates." Apparently this is not their first time hearing this.

They are sending out a tech who will be here Wednesday of this week to replace the hard drive with Windows pre-installed. Free of charge. His PC is a custom build Dell under warranty, but he didn't think Dell would cover Microsoft updates gone wrong.....but apparently they will because it is happening so often.

Thanks again all. Appreciate the help very much.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks again for all the great replies. He has a disc with Ubuntu, but he needs to run Visual Studio 2017 and create Windows applications, and he does not think he can do this easily under a Linux environment. But thank you and good to know.

DH e-mailed Dell customer service yesterday (Sunday...so no reply....not surprising) and he got an email back this morning. The tech said (and I quote)
"Many innocent machines have been destroyed with Microsoft updates." Apparently this is not their first time hearing this.

They are sending out a tech who will be here Wednesday of this week to replace the hard drive with Windows pre-installed. Free of charge. His PC is a custom build Dell under warranty, but he didn't think Dell would cover Microsoft updates gone wrong.....but apparently they will because it is happening so often.

What a wonderful ending to the story!!! Wow, that is very impressive customer service. I am so glad for both of you that Dell is installing a free hard drive with Windows pre-installed.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Win 10 didn't work with my old Dell desktop when I tried updating to the free update in 2016, so I've been on the sidelines until forced to give up my use Win 7 desktop.
You have until 12/31/17 to get the update.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade

But you might have a hardware issue preventing it from accepting the update.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #20

Quote:

Depending on how much memory the system has, you can use the virtual machine tech in ubuntu to boot up windows 10 inside ubuntu You would need to buy a windows 10 disk and install windows 10 into the virtual machine. (linux gives you a choice of the virtual machine manager) I do use virtual box to run windows xp in a constrained environment.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote