Join Early Retirement Today

Windshield Replacement With Cash Back?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windshield Replacement With Cash Back?

Here in Phoenix, there seem to be a lot of places that offer up to $100 back when you get your windshield replaced via your insurance. That seems ridiculous to me that the insurance companies apparently overpay so much for windshield replacement. And it's not just someone working out of their truck either - it's actual bricks and mortar outfits with these offers. At least one says they use OEM glass by Pilkington, a well-known brand. What gives? What corners are cut?
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

In MN, they passed a law that banned all inducements/incentives for windshield replacements.

If you think about it, the insurance companies are paying what the shop charges. The shop can do it cheaper than what is customary, they can hand off the difference to you and still charge the same amount. Or maybe there is no limit to what they can charge. The insurance company cannot mandate that you use a certain repair shop, so you can use the most expensive and get money back.

I would guess some people break their windshield when they need an extra $100.

State Laws on windshield replacement & repair
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
In MN, they passed a law that banned all inducements/incentives for windshield replacements.

If you think about it, the insurance companies are paying what the shop charges. The shop can do it cheaper than what is customary, they can hand off the difference to you and still charge the same amount. Or maybe there is no limit to what they can charge. The insurance company cannot mandate that you use a certain repair shop, so you can use the most expensive and get money back.

I would guess some people break their windshield when they need an extra $100.

State Laws on windshield replacement & repair

Even car insurance does not have to pay if you go to the most expensive and it is unreasonable... so, if it should cost $900 and they charge $1800 they can refuse to pay the full price...

Also, if it is your insurance company paying, they can also refuse to replace parts with OEM parts.... I found that out when I wanted to fix my Acura.... I was told by the shop that an aftermarket panel cost X and the OEM cost Y and that X was all the insurance company was going to pay... if I wanted Y I could fork over the extra dough for it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

Windshield repair insurance scams. Add that to all the other insurance scams. Guess who really pays for that repair kickback ?

And you wonder why your insurance bill is so high !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

This reminds me of those medical device ads, "Medicare pays for your scooter, plus we'll send you a free flat screen TV!"
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
This reminds me of those medical device ads, "Medicare pays for your scooter, plus we'll send you a free flat screen TV!"
Yes, but is the TV mounted on the scooter so you can watch TV while driving? Or is that an "extra charge" gotcha?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Windshield repair insurance scams. Add that to all the other insurance scams. Guess who really pays for that repair kickback ?

And you wonder why your insurance bill is so high !
Exactly, someone has to pay for it and it is you through higher premiums.

It reminds me of a time about 20 years ago when a patient was dropping off their prescription. I asked if the generic was ok and their reply was, "my insurance charges me the same for brand or generic so I'll just get the brand" I am sure when the premiums went up the next year they didn't realize it was because (in part) that when the insurance pays more, you get to pay more for your insurance. They aren't in the business to lose money.....
Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
They aren't in the business to lose money.....
They aren't? ... Avoiding the urge to get political. OK, back to the subject.

I had a chiropractor mess around with his charging too. This was way back in the days of my old Megacorp which paid 80%/20% until I reached my deductible. The whole plan was self pay and administered by the corp still, so big insurance wasn't involved like they are today.

In any case, the chiro "forgave" my 20%. There was something underhanded and messy going on which as a youngster, I didn't understand but I still knew felt dirty.

About a year after this, our Megacorp sent out a nasty gram to all employees over this practice, basically saying if we participate, we're terminated.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

I've been hoping my windshield would break! I am paying a couple bucks a month for windshield replacement. When the Jeep was new, I went through 3 windshields. Now that I am paying extra, no luck. It is pitted bad enough to make it hard to see in the sunshine. 12 miles of rocks/dirt roads and you think I would catch a rock at the front of this rolling brick!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Let us know how this works out.
I have been replacing windshields at an incredible rate for the last 5 yrs. I just had one replaced for the 3rd time and two others need replacement or repair. I won't accept any more Pilkington brand windshields which is what Safelite installed. Several replacements were for my company car so I didn't have to pay. For my personal cars, the cost is always well under my deductible so the insurance does not come into play (no special coverage). I know in dusty place like AZ windshields get replaced due to being "sand blasted" but I am talking about chips and cracks due to stones. I stay well back from construction trucks on the highway, but our cars are shared by three household members.
.....Frustrated.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #11

This kind of thing was going on in CA about 10 years ago. They would have "cappers" at car washes offering free" windshield inspections ". After a number of people went to state prison for insurance fraud, it started to disappear.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I've been hoping my windshield would break! It is pitted bad enough to make it hard to see in the sunshine.
Your insurance company should replace it if it is a safety hazard...I live in the desert and my windshield was so pitted that it would frost over in the sunlight. The insurance company (USAA) had no problem with a replacement.

It's actually quite common here to do that, the glass doesn't need to be "broken" to be considered a failure.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Your insurance company should replace it if it is a safety hazard...I live in the desert and my windshield was so pitted that it would frost over in the sunlight. The insurance company (USAA) had no problem with a replacement.

It's actually quite common here to do that, the glass doesn't need to be "broken" to be considered a failure.

_B
Still matters what your deductible is.... mine is high and I do not have glass replacement.... they do fix chips for free, but would not replace glass...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Still matters what your deductible is.... mine is high and I do not have glass replacement.... they do fix chips for free, but would not replace glass...
Right, me too, and one reason my insurance is affordable.

In 35 years, I have replaced 2 windshields out of my own pocket. No sweat.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I should have mentioned that my replacement glass policy does not have a deductible (for road damage or wear). If the glass were damaged due to a break-in or vandalism, then the comprehensive deductible would apply.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
... I won't accept any more Pilkington brand windshields which is what Safelite installed....
Can you say more about why you don't like that brand? Just curious.

John
manerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Windshield replacements are not all SCAMS
Old 03-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Windshield replacements are not all SCAMS

I've actually been in the auto glass industry for the past decade and have extensive knowledge on the subject. So here's some insider information for my fellow early-retirees. Now this applies to the few "Deductible is waived for auto glass damage" states like AZ, FL, SC and a few others. The insurance company usually hires a third party to handle their glass claims for instance Safelite or Lynx. Those parties adhere to a predetermined amount that the insurance company has agreed to pay for any specific year, make, and model windshield. How that works is there is what's called a NAGs list. That's National Auto Glass specifications. That list is compiled every year and it costs 300+ dollars just to get a copy. Anyways that list is a standard that everyone follows. The prices on that list are 2-4 times more expensive then what we "auto glass shops" can usually purchase them for. With OEM or dealer parts it's usually 30% more. So to battle these guaged prices the insurance company depending on your "relationship" and "history" with a particular glass shop will pay 40%-60% less then the Nags price. You'll sometimes hear them say the percentage at the end of your insurance claim if you have a glass shop on the line. Plus a few hours labor. So what's left over is not as much as you might think after paying the installler, sales rep, overhead. After the "incentive" for the customer we are talking about 50-150 dollars. That's profit per job. Now i don't think that's unreasonable to make off an insurance job. Anyone who makes a living from insurance claims would actually say that's quite low! Now that's the way it works in most states. In states like Florida you have glass shops that will deny those rates. Those are the ones you need to watch out for. If they deny the rates RUN! The glass company that denies the rate will later sue your insurance company for 3 to 4 times that amount And who do you think gives the authorization for them to do so? YOU unknowingly will grant them permission. Read before you sign people. I'm thinking of writing an "underground" "insider" FAQ revealing all the secrets of the biz. What do you guys think?
Sums-aboutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post

My all-time favorite Hoveround commercial:
Old 03-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

This thread innocently gets resurrected, I watch the totally unrelated Youtube link, and end up on the floor rolling around laughing. Man I needed that this morning.