Join Early Retirement Today

windshield wiper blades
Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

windshield wiper blades

I just changed the wiper blades on the car of a friend. It wasn't that difficult.

My question is, why are blade lengths different for the driver side vs passenger side instead of them being equal? On her car, the driver side was a 24" blade and passenger side 16" blade.

Just curious as to the answer
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turn them on and you will see that they sweep a different pattern on each side. The lengths are calculated to cover as much area as possible with each arc.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I knew there was a simple answer for it.

Now, why on some cars wipers sweep towards/away from each other, and some sweep in the same direction?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Now, why on some cars wipers sweep towards/away from each other, and some sweep in the same direction?
I think that the simple answer is that the car is styled first then some poor bastard engineer has to figure out how to meet the clear area requirements by cleverly designing the wiper mechanism.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I know I know

Some automotive engineer had a hangover and wanted to spread the pain around. Those #@!* attachment clips were designed on the same day.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't replaced the wiper blades or assemblies in either car for over four years...

But I've wiped the edges of the blades with a rag once in a while.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Coriolis effect?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #8

I'm always a little surprised at what a difference new blades make, the first time I drive in a storm after replacing them.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

On my old car, the blades have created semicircular grooves in the windshield where they arc. I imagine the road grit embedded in the rubber is the reason.

In the winter, the rubber is not so rubbery and the blades chatter and squeak. I got new blades, the they were cheap, so when cold, they still squeak. Can anybody recommend a brand or a rubber polymer or treatment that will prevent the squeaky blade problem in the cold? Thanks!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've wiped the edges of the blades with a rag once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Can anybody recommend a brand or a rubber polymer or treatment that will prevent the squeaky blade problem in the cold? Thanks!
No tips on a rubber treatment, but every time I top off the washer fluid I splash a little bit of the fluid on a towel, then use the towel to wipe the blades clean. The alcohol does a better job of cleaning off the grime and dead rubber than water alone.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've been buying Goodyear blades at Costco for the past few years and like them - a bargain at $7 or $8 a piece, occasionally second one free with coupon. They have an enclosed blade spring mechanism so snow and ice doesn't lock them straight (those fellow posters damned to the winter regions know this issue well). I clean them with alcohol occasionally.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
No tips on a rubber treatment, but every time I top off the washer fluid I splash a little bit of the fluid on a towel, then use the towel to wipe the blades clean. The alcohol does a better job of cleaning off the grime and dead rubber than water alone.
I stopped using washer fluid years ago, too, and just have tap water in the reservoirs. Admittedly it's pretty clean tap water from a water conditioner, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Of course I'm not driving through snow, sleet, hail, dust, or bug clouds. Maybe a dozen or so torrential squalls a year. Heck, I barely drive through "gloom of night".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Regarding chatter, and to some extent squeak, be sure that the blade is at a 90% angle to the glass during it's sweep. Turn off the key mid-sweep to check on both up and back sweeps and set for equal angle both directions. A couple Crescent-type wrenches on the flat wiper arm will help you twist the arm to adjust. Don't just twist the arm against the wiper post.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Here's a site where you can use to find out what size wiper blades your vehicle needs:

Windshield Wiper Sizes : Triple Edge Wiper Blades : Silicone Wiper Blades : Car Wiper : Tripledge Wipers : TheWiperStore.com

Comes in handy.

Now if there was only a site for my jean size
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've been buying Goodyear blades at Costco for the past few years and like them - a bargain at $7 or $8 a piece, occasionally second one free with coupon. They have an enclosed blade spring mechanism so snow and ice doesn't lock them straight (those fellow posters damned to the winter regions know this issue well). I clean them with alcohol occasionally.
Another winter tip...if your wiper arms are built this way, raise the entire wiper blade assembly up off the windshield after parking the car. This simple task will prevent them from freezing to the glass and having to be "chipped" off the glass when it snows or ices. Clean the windshield while car warms up, then lower the blades to the normal operating position.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Another winter tip...if your wiper arms are built this way, raise the entire wiper blade assembly up off the windshield after parking the car. This simple task will prevent them from freezing to the glass and having to be "chipped" off the glass when it snows or ices. Clean the windshield while car warms up, then lower the blades to the normal operating position.
Good tip. This also works for 4th of July parades if you attach a small flag to each wiper. Use the low speed..
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Good tip. This also works for 4th of July parades if you attach a small flag to each wiper. Use the low speed..

Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to put some Rain-X on my windshield tomorrow. I've heard it's effective at reducing the ice-glass bond strength, so that's worth a try.

I remember hearing that applying Armor-All to wiper blades would slow down their rot/splitting and help them last longer, but I'd guess this is more important in areas with high ozone levels.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Sam, I have used rain-x and though it may be something of a placebo effect it does seem to help some with the windshield ice. But even better is a product called Ice and Frost Shield by Prestone. It is antifreeze for the windshield, methyl alcohol and propylene glycol. You can put it on the night before or just use it as a deicer. Not perfectly scum free though.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

When cleaning the blades no longer works, I sand them lightly with steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper.