Windshield wiper blades

I recently bought a used Ford Escape. I changed the wipers to some high end brand wipers. I can't remember exactly what brand they were. They were around $25 each IIRC. I found quickly that the wipers would stutter and confuse the individual wiper motors unless there was a lot of water on the windshield to lubricate their motion. They would get out of sync, sometimes even hit each other. A few time the wiper motors were so confused, they just stopped. Like a computer running windows, I had to turn them off and back on to reboot them. I've never had anything like that happen before. I bough new OEM blades and the problem went away. I will not buy anything but OEM wipers for this car as long as I own it.

This is the only time in over 50 years of car ownership that I have ever had an issue related to wiper blade brands! I thought I would just mention it.

This is the only time in over 50 years of car ownership that I have ever had an issue related to wiper blade brands! I thought I would just mention it.

Hmmm, that does sound odd. Never had that happen on previous cars either.

Interestingly, the thing that most bothered me recently was really bad results in the one-shot cleaning mode (on my car, that's triggered by pulling the wiper lever toward the driver). It was super-streaky and sort of pushed the dirt around. Owner neglect, of course.

I've been very pleased with the quality of Rain-X blades. Better than others I've used. Most auto parts stores carry them.

Costco sells these where I am and have been very happy with them. Have held up well in winter.

Ford must use motors with some sort feedback, one motor ass'y for each blade and used some software control to sync the two together. I can manually move either wiper independently from the other and leave them in that position. When first energized, they reset their "home" position, then they will be in-sync assuming that they are using the Ford blades.

The lateral stiffness of the 3rd party blades must have been lower, causing a blade bending resonance of some sort when the blade stuttered across the dry windshield. When that was happening, I could actually see the oscillation in the blade as it moved across the windshield.

Tried a different beam-style blade on the minivan since the Bosch Icon in that size were out of stock...did not work well.

Called up the store and asked them to phone me when they've got the Bosch back in stock.

Tried a different beam-style blade on the minivan since the Bosch Icon in that size were out of stock...did not work well.

Called up the store and asked them to phone me when they've got the Bosch back in stock.

Mine are conventional (I think called J Hook).

As long as I’ve moved forward, I’ll get further happy by replacing the rear blade. I also notice I’ve got no wiper fluid anywhere except what’s in the car so will buy some of that too.

Once that’s done, I’m good. You got anything needs wipin’, I’m your man. Just as long as it’s on either the front or rear glass of my car.

Several years ago, I read a Consumer Reports test article that mentioned that ANCO Series 31 blades were just as good as blades that cost twice as much. Since then I order the '31' blades from Amazon and have been pleased, good combination of value for price.
I've lost track of how long ago that test was done, so YMMV.
Run $6 to $9 per blade.

Several years ago, I read a Consumer Reports test article that mentioned that ANCO Series 31 blades were just as good as blades that cost twice as much........
Companies like ANCO make OEM parts. Same with tires. Sometimes the after market and OEM parts just have different stickers.

Back
Top Bottom