Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wine recommendations
Old 10-19-2004, 05:13 AM   #41

Re: Wine recommendations

The Delicato Chardonnay is pretty much our house wine and it's $8.99 for the 1.5 liter here. Good wine for the money.

K. B. Sharkstooth
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Wine Report - Yellow Tail 2003 Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon
2nd bottle - I like this better than the Cabernet Savignon. Light and smooth - it doesn't have that "young" taste of the CS
A good buy for the price
I'm just drinking a Yellow Tail 2009 Shiraz Cabernet (from Safeway), and I think it's very good.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a 3L box of Silver Birch Sauvignon Blanc in my fridge, and it is very good. It is from New Zealand and one of the best box wines I have discovered recently on the shelves in our PA state store system.
PA has begun selling alcohol in certain supermarkets but it is mostly beer and some sort of wine kiosk vending machine that I have yet to investigate. The beer is sold in a separate section of the store and must be paid for and proper ID shown(no matter what your age) at a special register.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An old thread...but one with the most recent post about wine.

I've been enjoying Mirassou Pinot Noir for a couple of months now. Excellent (IMO) and the cost is around $10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail[4].jpg (4.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Radius Merlot from Washington State is a good choice. It is not as dry as some, a hint of sweetness, and only $9. Perfect for a cool evening in front of the fire with cheese, crackers, and DW.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I like Cruz Alta Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. Their Malbec is very good also. Courtney Benham Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley is another good wine.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Sea Ridge Captain's Red. About $2.49 at Safeway. This stuff is definitely drinkable, and is even OK the next day.

The syrah is also OK, but stay away from the others.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

That brings up a wine question.

We have eight bottles of the stuff in our house. We never drink it. We never will.

One of them is a label with kanji and the English word "rice". It has sludge along the side of the bottle. It's probably ready to be poured down the sink.

Another one is a novelty bottle from one of those "wineries" where you make your own. The label is faded to the point where I can't even recognize the neighbor who gave it to us. (Maybe I should make a guess and regift it to them?) I think that's more sink cleaner.

A third was bottled by our stamped-concrete contractor in 2008. Call me cynical but I suspect he's a better concrete contractor than a vintner. More sink cleaner.

Thank goodness we have a stainless-steel sink.

The rest are:
One o' them there Mirassous from 2008.
A chardonnay going back to 1999, and another to 2002.
A cabernet from 2006.
A sparkling wine going back all the way to last month.

A friend is one of those people who spends more time in the restaurant with the wine list than the menu. I could offer him those five bottles to see if he can find someone willing to give them a good home.

Is there etiquette to giving away "old" wine? Is it simply not done, and should I just pop the corks on all eight of them to really flush out our sewer drain?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That brings up a wine question.

...should I just pop the corks on all eight of them to really flush out our sewer drain?
Might be tough on older plumbing. You might consider filtering it through someone's digestive system first.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Might be tough on older plumbing. You might consider filtering it through someone's digestive system first.
Some who doesn't have older plumbing.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Some who doesn't have older plumbing.
Guess you don't qualify, and neither does your house?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
An old thread...but one with the most recent post about wine.

I've been enjoying Mirassou Pinot Noir for a couple of months now. Excellent (IMO) and the cost is around $10.
It is a tasty wine and great price performance for a Pinot Noir?

Quote:
A friend is one of those people who spends more time in the restaurant with the wine list than the menu. I could offer him those five bottles to see if he can find someone willing to give them a good home.

Is there etiquette to giving away "old" wine? Is it simply not done, and should I just pop the corks on all eight of them to really flush out our sewer drain?
Have they been stored upright, out of the sunlight, and in a cool environment? One negative answer means gifting will not end well and dumping is recommended.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Have they been stored upright, out of the sunlight, and in a cool environment? One negative answer means gifting will not end well and dumping is recommended.
Ha! You ask those questions as if I was a wine drinker. Not for years, anyway.

On their side, in the kitchen, in a wicker basket on top of the fridge. In Hawaii. Some of them for as long as 11 years.

Actually the sparkling wine has been sitting upright on top of the fridge, and it's only been there a month. Nobody seems to want it after the New Year's fireworks ends.

So, I'm picking up the impression that they're somewhere between grape juice and vinegar...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So, I'm picking up the impression that they're somewhere between grape juice and vinegar...
I suggest toss the homemade ones, and donate the others to someone who you know likes wine, with a disclaimer that they may be past their prime. Pick a wine drinker whom you know well enough not to take it personally.

Even better, pick a LBYM wine drinker, who will appreciate any freebies, even if just one is still drinkable.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote