without electricity for 48 hours now

I am not really in the market for a backup genset, but happened to see this smaller 7KW unit that runs off NG or a propane tank.

For less than $2K, it comes with an auto transfer switch and will turn itself on/off in the case you are not home during a power interruption. I have read a report from a user who said the installation cost was less than $500. It will turn itself on weekly (why not monthly?) to exercise itself. It burns 1 gal/hr, and weights near 400 lbs.

Some users say it's quiet, while others say it's loud. I guess it all depends on how far you install it from the house. If I lived full-time up in my 2nd home where we might get trapped in by a snowstorm, I would have considered it. I could install this far from the house and hidden among trees (the wiring might cost as much or more than the genset!), but then some thieves could haul it away without me knowing for a long time.

Thought I would mention this.

And here is a competing unit, of about the same price.

I had the 7kw Generac unit mentioned in this 2011 post and happy I did. After spending a considerable amount of time shopping, it ran me about $3800 (unit- $2300, installation- $1500). It resides on the side of my house farthest away from bedrooms -- closer to the kitchen and formal dining room (the latter is rarely used but is pretty :))

Saturday, we had an outage and after 10-15 seconds of silence, it kicked on with the hum of a lawn mower and I had power in strategic places in my house. Internet, TV, phone, refrigerator, fans, and other important facilities kept running. When the outage was over, there was a short blip when the generator switch off and normal electricity took over. It was nearly transparent. I suspect there have been outages that went undetected.

This one is highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom