Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Honestly, I am not sure why and what is the US men's fascination with breasts. When much younger in Europe, I used to go to beaches where most women would be braless. Used to be the norm. I did not care one way or the other. I guess I grew up completely desensitized.

Interesting research linking to back pain, though.

Desensitized?? Nothing personal, obgyn65, but may I humbly remind you of your User Name? Perhaps we need a more "unbiased" opinion??

Just kidding you, obgyn65. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Did they really have to use the word "mammoth" in the first quote?
Exactly my reaction - I didn't get past it.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Exactly my reaction - I didn't get past it.
I thought it was brilliant!

My fave bra is from the legendary "magic underwear" people, Ex Officio. Their travel bra rocks.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I thought it was brilliant!

My fave bra is from the legendary "magic underwear" people, Ex Officio. Their travel bra rocks.
I will check into that. I own quite a few Ex Officio clothes but I haven't tried their underwear. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Honestly, I am not sure why and what is the US men's fascination with breasts. When much younger in Europe, I used to go to beaches where most women would be braless. Used to be the norm. I did not care one way or the other. I guess I grew up completely desensitized.

It's not just US men, clearly Mexican men have the same fixation (obvious from TV)

It wouldn't bother me so much in the US if some people didn't get so freaked out by the whole breast feeding thing (find it offensive) - that's where it seems totally twisted.

It would be nice to be able to change my shirt in public or in the car without freaking somebody out (like my husband can), but I defer to public sensitivity and do so in the bathroom.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:

Uh, it's a French news article reporting on a project carried out by a French professor on French students. It would seem to me the fascination is French, not US. And judging by posting frequency, it seems to me that here in the ER forum there is a greater interest in asteroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Did they really have to use the word "mammoth" in the first quote?
I'm hoping it was a byproduct of translation.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Me too. In practically everywhere else in the world, women can whip their breasts out anywhere, anytime to feed or soothe their babies and people are so used to that they don't even pay attention. Americans get so freaked out over 'exposure'. What's up with that?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Am I the only one who has seen the pics of 25 year old African tribe women with their boobs down to their bellybuttons? No bra, less sagging my a**! Maybe those with A cups have no problems, but those of us with more ample bosoms need some support.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #29

Here in Canada we're a little more relaxed and European in our approach (but not completely). Of course it could just be me and my circle of friends but we refer to bras by their original German name "Schtopenfloppens"

;o)
Old 04-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkopel View Post
Am I the only one who has seen the pics of 25 year old African tribe women with their boobs down to their bellybuttons? No bra, less sagging my a**! Maybe those with A cups have no problems, but those of us with more ample bosoms need some support.
By 25, many tribal African women have had 5 or 6 children, all of whom had been breast fed for a year or more. It is primarily the way they feed their babies; the way babies were meant to be fed and the main reason for the existence of breasts on mammals.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
In practically everywhere else in the world, women can whip their breasts out anywhere, anytime to feed or soothe their babies and people are so used to that they don't even pay attention.
I think you are overlooking a large part of the world where if a woman even shows her face it is cause for severe punishment.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
And who should know better than the French. Women better off without bras: French study - The Local

The research was based on scientific method

And it appears Dr. Rouillon is committed to improving the statistical underpinnings and making the results more reliable

His commitment to women's health and comfort is admirable.

not this woman

Claire Smedley has biggest boobs in Britain, fears she will hurt boyfriend
Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think you are overlooking a large part of the world where if a woman even shows her face it is cause for severe punishment.
I am afraid that this is the sort of misinformation that pervades our society but in the absence of not knowing much about other people and cultures except the skewed TV perspective, that's understandable. Even in those societies, women do not suffer repercussions for breast feeding openly as long as they are in the company of other women or their male relatives. I breast fed my children for a year and I dared not 'expose' myself even in the company of women in my free society, the only place it's socially illegal.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sorry for my ignorance Letj. I defer to your greater world knowledge and will exit this thread rather than further embarrass myself.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sorry for my ignorance Letj. I defer to your greater world knowledge and will exit this thread rather than further embarrass myself.
I never claimed to have superior world knowledge but I've lived and travelled many places around the world. There are lots of things that I am ignorant about, that's for sure but I do know that it is not such a large part of this world where women would face severe punishment for exposing their face. It's actually quite a small part but sensationalist news makes it far worse. The same is true for crime reporting in the US; no knews there.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

In my generation only poor women went bra-less. In my youth I always wore a bra to avoid ogling male eyes, avoid the jiggle and protruding nipples. Even now I hesitate to go without a bra for propriety's sake.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #37

The truth is that I would not like to do this type of breast related research - taking breast measures all the time. I would much prefer to spend time reading posts on this website and learning about FIRE. And this is the truth - I know, hard to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Truly a sacrifice for science!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #38

Yes, I have seen many naked bodies thanks to my profession, but I can confirm that spending time on European beaches and watching topless women from a very early age desensitized me. I know colleagues in continental Europe feel the same. I also know guys here will find it hard to believe, but it is simply the truth. Also you do get somewhat desensitized after a while - many MDs, PAs, NPs, and RNs here will tell you the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

Desensitized?? Nothing personal, obgyn65, but may I humbly remind you of your User Name? Perhaps we need a more "unbiased" opinion??

Just kidding you, obgyn65. Of course, YMMV.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post

.... Even in those societies, women do not suffer repercussions for breast feeding openly as long as they are in the company of other women or their male relatives....
Not sure I'd call this "openly" breastfeeding--probably most US women are comfortable breastfeeding in front of other women and male relatives and probably don't suffer repercussions (and what exactly are these repercussions, anyway? Three nights in jail? Forced formula feeding?) for it.

Breasts are perhaps anatomically unusual in that they provide infant nutrition but are also erogenous zones for women (I assume this is true in non-US cultures too--perhaps some French researchers can check it out). One might say they're real and they're spectacular.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #40

I beg to disagree. I have never seen blurred images of breasts of French TV when I lived there, unlike here. No problem about women breastfeeding in public. Being topless on beaches is common practice.

Anyone doing this type of research here would be called a pervert!

Honestly it feels like the WASP, Puritan thing is still very much present in the US culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Uh, it's a French news article reporting on a project carried out by a French professor on French students. It would seem to me the fascination is French, not US. .
Closed Thread