Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
You've made some excellent observations. We've been traveling outside the U.S. for most of the past year, so I've not had a chance to watch our women's national team. Here are a few thoughts based on observing past player performances and recent coverage I've read.

Without a doubt the U.S. keeper position is perhaps their biggest ? As solid as the U.S. side is, every good team eventually needs that big save at a crucial time or a big game from their GK. I understand that Naeher has been steadily improving, but can she keep a clean sheet in a one goal match against a top opponent?

Agreed re: the U.S. backline. Becky Sauerbrunn, just a few years removed from being regarded as arguably the best CB in the world, has probably lost a few steps. Though Sauerbrunn at 80% still exceeds almost everyone else. Another big question is Jill Ellis' decision to use Crystal Dunn at LB. This decision puzzles me, but then again, I've only seen a couple of WNT matches this past year. I understand that Dunn, who is the NWSL's best striker has been serviceable as a LB. But will that be good enough when she has to defend other world class forwards?

You are right about Alex Morgan at striker. She is not a back to the goal, hold-up play kind of attacker. But it's Morgan's off the ball work and almost tireless work rate that is so impressive. She absolutely runs her ass off for the full 90 and that helps create lots of space for other players.

And yes, the U.S. midfield has talent and depth. It doesn't get much better than having the likes of Lloyd as the 10, Rapinoe & an improved Tobin Heath as wingers and Julie Ertz at DM.

Interesting observation you have re: Ellis's inflexibility. Let's hope that if she has a blind spot in that regard, her assistants will speak up and Ellis will heed sound advice.
Dunn is an amazing player. At any field position she is an attacking dynamo. I am not so worried about her as a defensive player, yet. After all, she'll be measured by what the opponent brings in each match. I agree with having her as a surprise attacker that throws in when necessary. I've also seen her recover and catch an attacker from great distance.

I'm withholding my praise for Morgan, who gets plenty. If she can score a goal against each top teams in this tournament, that will be a differentiator. It will negate the bad goal GK will give up. However, will she get 2, and give up the ball to attacking forwards? When an experienced player gets so many offside flags, it really concerns me. She seems to want to run past defenders before she has ball. Too many plays stop at her feet. Just my opinion, what do I know?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Dunn is an amazing player. At any field position she is an attacking dynamo. I am not so worried about her as a defensive player, yet. After all, she'll be measured by what the opponent brings in each match. I agree with having her as a surprise attacker that throws in when necessary. I've also seen her recover and catch an attacker from great distance.

I'm withholding my praise for Morgan, who gets plenty. If she can score a goal against each top teams in this tournament, that will be a differentiator. It will negate the bad goal GK will give up. However, will she get 2, and give up the ball to attacking forwards? When an experienced player gets so many offside flags, it really concerns me. She seems to want to run past defenders before she has ball. Too many plays stop at her feet. Just my opinion, what do I know?
Again, I've only seen a couple of WNT matches over the past year, so please excuse my lack of current information. I've read that Ellis is using Dunn at LB due to a lack of depth overall in the player pool when it comes to defenders that can compete at the int'l level. Or, do you think it is possible that Ellis is using Dunn in a sort of hybrid role? I'd like to think it's the latter. We are seeing a shift in the game overall as there is now greater emphasis on building attacks out of the back. From a purely spectator standpoint, it makes for a much more dynamic and exciting game to watch than having defenders just parking the bus.

I hear your concerns re: Morgan and what you describe is a seeming inability to effectively check her runs. What I do like about Morgan is that her speed and balance can keep defenders back on their heels - provided she doesn't wander into an offside position.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Dunn is a stronger all-around player, and sits behind Lavelle. Dunn becomes part of the attack when required. I heard from experts that is by design. Dunn is sutied for that role too. When Lavelle is subbed out in 2nd half, Dunn moves up to LM. I think that is the strategy I've seen this year.

Dunn can run the entire game up and down the edge. That is a something to watch.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Dunn is a stronger all-around player, and sits behind Lavelle. Dunn becomes part of the attack when required. I heard from experts that is by design. Dunn is sutied for that role too. When Lavelle is subbed out in 2nd half, Dunn moves up to LM. I think that is the strategy I've seen this year.

Dunn can run the entire game up and down the edge. That is a something to watch.
If by design, that is very good news. So, it sounds as though the starting midfield for the US will be Lavelle, Ertz, Rapinoe, and in looking at their roster - is it Horan that rounds it out as their starter in the #10 PM role? I'm assuming that Lloyd will be used as a substitute and at 36 years old, that's about the only role for her.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for starting this thread. There is something about a world wide competition that is just so very interesting and fun!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #26

I recall that we had a good bit of fun last summer posting on the Men's World Cup thread. By tournament's end, I think the thread had exceeded 300 posts. Glad you're back in on this one too, Chuckanut!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lets have a show of hands! Who is going to the games in person?
My daughter, wife and I will be at the Chile/USA game in Paris on June 16 and the USA/Sweden game in Le Havre June 20. My wife and I might make the June 11 game USA/Thailand in Reims if we can work our schedule.
Lets go USA!
Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyfill View Post
Lets have a show of hands! Who is going to the games in person?
My daughter, wife and I will be at the Chile/USA game in Paris on June 16 and the USA/Sweden game in Le Havre June 20. My wife and I might make the June 11 game USA/Thailand in Reims if we can work our schedule.
Lets go USA!
Very cool! I'd love to be there. Will you be attending with the American Outlaws?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
If by design, that is very good news. So, it sounds as though the starting midfield for the US will be Lavelle, Ertz, Rapinoe, and in looking at their roster - is it Horan that rounds it out as their starter in the #10 PM role? I'm assuming that Lloyd will be used as a substitute and at 36 years old, that's about the only role for her.
4-3-3
Choice #1 on this page is what I think will happen too. But you never know. In the friendlies leading up to this, it did not appear all locked up. There are probably other sites with different players/positions.
https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/uswn...n1irch47drzt9f
Group B Preview
Old 06-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #30

Group B Preview

Personally, I've lost track over the past year when it comes to the women's international game and even our own USWNT. So, I thought that this article (behind a paywall - so I had to copy paste), published by Soccer America Daily might be of some interest to others, like me, who need a bit of "catching up" ahead of the Women's World Cup beginning tomorrow. It this article is helpful, just say so and tomorrow I'll post the Group A Preview and will do the same for the rest of the groups as they are published.

Opening match on Friday is France vs S. Korea

France's 3-1 win over the United States in their friendly game played in January before a sellout crowd in Le Havre elevated the Women's World Cup hosts into the category of tournament contenders, right behind the USA, but it's a position they've been in before.

Group B:
France (4)
Norway (12)
South Korea (14)
Nigeria (38)
Note: In parentheses is FIFA ranking (as of March 29).
Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most US games are on FOX. Refer to this link:
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/wor...he-first-time/

FS1 has some, so you have to look and find your teams and what channel.

Yes, I see a good number on FOX and not FOX sports... so I will be watching some of the games...

I programmed to record them all and will just delete the ones I do not want to watch...
Old 06-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Leaving for France as soon as the kids finish up finals. We will see the US-Chile match on 6/16 and plan to see an elimination game in Reims on 6/24.

Omalley
Old 06-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omalley View Post
Leaving for France as soon as the kids finish up finals. We will see the US-Chile match on 6/16 and plan to see an elimination game in Reims on 6/24.

Omalley

Did you get tickets through The American Outlaws?
Old 06-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omalley View Post

Omalley

I think you will have fun... my DW and kids saw 6 of the men's WC last year... loved it...
Old 06-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course, being from the frozen tundra north of the 49th parallel, I will be pulling for the Canadians to sneak through. They have a nice bunch of new, younger players who have been playing collegiate football, plus it is likely the last chance for the captain, Christine Sinclair, to make it to the finals. I think that she needs 3 goals to tie Abby Wambach for the most career goals in women's football
Old 06-07-2019, 03:23 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfradio View Post
Of course, being from the frozen tundra north of the 49th parallel, I will be pulling for the Canadians to sneak through. They have a nice bunch of new, younger players who have been playing collegiate football, plus it is likely the last chance for the captain, Christine Sinclair, to make it to the finals. I think that she needs 3 goals to tie Abby Wambach for the most career goals in women's football
We should be home watching the 6/10 Cameroon vs Canada game (3 p.m. ET, Montpellier, FS1). Sinclair may get three that day.

Today, France vs. South Korea, 3 p.m. ET, Paris, FS1. I'll pick France.
Group B Preview
Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #37

Group B Preview

Today, match day 1 of the WWC features a single fixture with France taking on S. Korea. Match day 2 tomorrow will have a full schedule of games from Group B. A humorous side note - the German women's team produced a promotional video ahead of this World Cup with the theme, "We don't have balls, but we know how to use them!"

Group B Preview: Germany wants to reestablish itself at the top by Paul Kennedy

Group B:
Germany (2)
Spain (13)
China (16)
South Africa (49)

You should be pulling for ... German captain Dzsenifer Marozsan won the Under-20 Women's World Cup in 2010, European Championship in 2013 and the gold medal in women's soccer at the 2016 Olympics. She won the UEFA Women's Champions League with FFC Frankfurt in 2015 and Lyon the last three seasons. The Hungarian-born Marozsan suffered a pulmonary embolism that forced her to miss the first three months of the 2018-19 season but has recovered and hopes to cap her career with the Women's World Cup, the only major trophy she is missing.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #38

Quote:
A humorous side note - the German women's team produced a promotional video ahead of this World Cup with the theme, "We don't have balls, but we know how to use them!"
Great video - this link has it with English subtitles:

We Don't Have Balls but We Know How to Use Them

Shows that the issues the USWNT is suing about are not limited to the USA.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfradio View Post

That would be international goals... I checked wiki and she already has more goals overall... well, at least what they have listed in wiki...

Then again, she had 25 more games to get them so far...
Group C Preview
Old 06-09-2019, 05:55 AM   #40

Group C Preview

Group C Preview: Matildas are knocking on the door by Paul Kennedy @pkedit, Jun 2, 2019
After failing to win a game in its first three trips to the Women's World Cup, Australia has reached the quarterfinals the last three times and enter the 2019 finals as one of six seeded teams.

Group C:
Australia (6)
Brazil (10)
Italy (15)
Jamaica (53)

You should be pulling for ... At 41, Brazilian midfielder Formiga is set to play in her record seventh World Cup, breaking the record -- men or women -- she shares with retired Japan star Homare Sawa. The Paris St. Germain midfielder holds the record of having played in six Olympic women's soccer competitions -- all six since it was first introduced at the 1996 Olympics.