Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post

What I saw yesterday - at least on camera - was a U.S. side exuberantly celebrating the scoring of each goal. Never once did I see - at least on camera - a single U.S. player celebrate in a manner that was taunting or otherwise demeaning towards their opponents.
Well I disagree. The US team was favorite by 5 goals and their celebration after the 7th or 8th goals on the sideline was over the top. Goal differential is important in world cup early round so scoring 13th goal is not a problem but the exuberant celebration on late goals was unnecessary.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Well I disagree. The US team was favorite by 5 goals and their celebration after the 7th or 8th goals on the sideline was over the top. Goal differential is important in world cup early round so scoring 13th goal is not a problem but exuberant celebration on late goals was unnecessary.
Fair enough. I think where may agree is that after yesterday's match, the target on the collective backs of the number one ranked U.S. side just got much larger. I'm pretty sure there is no lack of opponents in this WC that would relish the opportunity to stick-it-to-them.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfradio View Post
Unfortunately, due to FIFA rules basing standings on goal differential, running up the score happens. So I accept that.

What I think wasn't necessary today, was the over the top goal celebrations of the US team after the game was way out of reach. It was humiliating for the Thai team and did not show the American team in a very good light, IMHO. Lets hope that the rest of the tournament shows better sportsmanship from all teams in similar circumstances.
+1 I would like to see FIFA limit the goal differential used in standings to x goals, say 8... pick a number... so if the maximum goal differential was 8 then 8-0 would be no different than 13-0... so once a dominant team is 8 goals ahead they can take their foot off the gas and coast to 90 minutes unless their opponents score.

I also agree that the celebrations were excessive... a bit embarassing for the US even if one is trying to run up the score in case goal differential might come into play in the standings.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Chilean Keeper
Old 06-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #64

Chilean Keeper

Chile's GK Endler with another terrific performance today in this WC.

Can we offer her a U.S. passport?
Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #65

Quote:

Can we offer her a U.S. passport?
+1.

Any other goalie and the score would have been much worse. She saved 3 sure goals in my opinion.

BTW She needs a citizenship before she can get a passport
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

It has been said that the game is the teacher. This was evident as US was held to just three goals by GK Endler of Chile. On the heals of 13-0 US drubbing of Thailand, a game with forced drama and subsequent negative reaction, lesson #1 is "You are measured by your opponent." When you're burying a team ranked at the bottom of all tournament competitors, it's difficult for a team to keep emotions in check. What can you learn for the next game, where your competitor may have a low ranking, but will probably bring a more complete game?

For rankings, see March 2019 table at https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...g-table/women/

Contrasted with Thailand game, US vs Chile had fewer fouls, same time of possession, lower shot accuracy, more corners. What was learned? We'll see in the US vs Sweden game. What lesson(s) was US coach reminding players of? Why use just 4 starters from game #1?

There are extreme challenges ahead for which you may not have the best attitude. Keeping the 3 forwards used in Thailand game out of this one was quite a surprise. I'm sure there were visions of 8 goals to be scored. But coach would have none of that, electing to play Press-Lloyd-Pugh. Watching Lloyd miss a PK was disappointing. OTH, watching Ertz finishing power on a corner was a moment. This was not a traditional approach, where starters get rewarded for previous performance, and play at least the entire half of the next game. So, time to sacrifice individual statistics, since all players are one play from being thrown in to a game for various reasons.

Thu 6/20 3PM, Sweden game will tell more. Sweden is ranked in the top ten, with more talent than seen in previous two games. Can US solve Sweden's defense?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
It has been said that the game is the teacher. This was evident as US was held to just three goals by GK Endler of Chile. On the heals of 13-0 US drubbing of Thailand, a game with forced drama and subsequent negative reaction, lesson #1 is "You are measured by your opponent." When you're burying a team ranked at the bottom of all tournament competitors, it's difficult for a team to keep emotions in check. What can you learn for the next game, where your competitor may have a low ranking, but will probably bring a more complete game?

For rankings, see March 2019 table at https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...g-table/women/

Contrasted with Thailand game, US vs Chile had fewer fouls, same time of possession, lower shot accuracy, more corners. What was learned? We'll see in the US vs Sweden game. What lesson(s) was US coach reminding players of? Why use just 4 starters from game #1?

There are extreme challenges ahead for which you may not have the best attitude. Keeping the 3 forwards used in Thailand game out of this one was quite a surprise. I'm sure there were visions of 8 goals to be scored. But coach would have none of that, electing to play Press-Lloyd-Pugh. Watching Lloyd miss a PK was disappointing. OTH, watching Ertz finishing power on a corner was a moment. This was not a traditional approach, where starters get rewarded for previous performance, and play at least the entire half of the next game. So, time to sacrifice individual statistics, since all players are one play from being thrown in to a game for various reasons.

Thu 6/20 3PM, Sweden game will tell more. Sweden is ranked in the top ten, with more talent than seen in previous two games. Can US solve Sweden's defense?
In terms of lessons learned from the Chile match, I would surmise that one of them would be GK Alyssa Naeher coming off her line more urgently on set pieces. If not for an offside call on Chile, Naeher would have conceded a goal in the first half. It was Naeher's first and only real test so far in the WC and she was lucky rather than being good. There is little room for those kind of gaffes going forward in this tournament.

I liked Ellis's decision to shake up most of her side's starting field players. It provided an opportunity for bench players to demonstrate their readiness in the event of injuries or suspensions of starters due to YC accumulation. It should also have some benefits on the training ground, as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #68

I actually liked this lineup. To me the speed of Press and Pugh and the finishing touch of Lloyd was effective. The score would have been much different if not for the heroics of Endler.

I also think that the Sweden game will be a good test for the US team in preparation for France in the round of 16 or the quarterfinals.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #69

Quote:
I actually liked this lineup. To me the speed of Press and Pugh and the finishing touch of Lloyd was effective. The score would have been much different if not for the heroics of Endler.

I also think that the Sweden game will be a good test for the US team in preparation for France in the round of 16 or the quarterfinals.
+1

The U.S. has one of the deepest squads talent-wise in the tournament. Only the French team has the same attacking quality - and I would place those 3 U.S. bench players you mentioned in the same company.

So far, I think the big question mark for the U.S. is at GK with Alyssa Naeher. She does have some very large gloves to fill in following Hope Solo. I'm not certain that the U.S. will need Naeher to win a match for them as much as she need only play well enough to prevent a loss. And IMO, that means no more mistakes like she had yesterday. Going forward, Naeher must be at her best self.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #70

Quote:

So far, I think the big question mark for the U.S. is at GK with Alyssa Naeher. She does have some very large gloves to fill in following Hope Solo. I'm not certain that the U.S. will need Naeher to win a match for them as much as she need only play well enough to prevent a loss. And IMO, that means no more mistakes like she had yesterday. Going forward, Naeher must be at her best self.
I agree. The competition will be much stronger from Sweden this Thursday and from Norway and France in the elimination rounds. These teams have strong offenses that will test her and she needs to be solid.
VAR's micro-refereeing is ruining France 2019
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #71

VAR's micro-refereeing is ruining France 2019

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...uHbQS_-qyZDWXo

"It might be said that the 2019 World Cup has been slow to start. It’s certainly not slow to stop when the Video Assistant Referee gets involved. In tonight’s third group game between France and Nigeria it took a full six minutes between Ngozi Ebere’s foul on Viviane Asseyi and the resultant penalty being scored. If FIFA was looking for a way to kill soccer dead, they’ve found the perfect solution."

+1
Old 06-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well I disagree. The US team was favorite by 5 goals and their celebration after the 7th or 8th goals on the sideline was over the top. Goal differential is important in world cup early round so scoring 13th goal is not a problem but the exuberant celebration on late goals was unnecessary.

Sorry I'm late to this thread - but I agree with you entirely; and in fact this is another difference between men and women. You just wouldn't get men behaving like that.

In fact I don't remember the last time I saw the USMNT celebrate a goal exuberantly or otherwise
Old 06-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameRedacted View Post
In fact I don't remember the last time I saw the USMNT celebrate a goal exuberantly or otherwise
Ouch. Adding insult to injury. You really know how to hurt a guy, don't ya?!
Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Sorry I'm late to this thread - but I agree with you entirely; and in fact this is another difference between men and women. You just wouldn't get men behaving like that.
Agreed.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I can't agree with the criticism of the women's team. Let them celebrate, as long as they don't direct rude behavior towards other, or get over confident. The more 'interesting' games are yet to come.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

If there was over-confidence in the USWNT after just one game, that has surely been deflated, and hopefully replaced with calm confidence.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #77
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If there was over-confidence in the USWNT after just one game, that has surely been deflated,
They destroyed Chile. Score wasn't near indicative of how one-sided that game was.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
They destroyed Chile. Score wasn't near indicative of how one-sided that game was.
It's not pointy football, so a coach is not focused on goal differential, or how one-sided. It's really about endurance, how pieces work together, and taking this success to the next opponent.

Soccer can be a cruel teacher. Chile brought more discipline with their bunker, and GK was good reminder of games from past where US could not score.

Also, commentators were quick to point out US GK weakness on a certain play, when a goal was given up, but called off due to offside. One can only wonder the result in next game, with more shots.

Overconfidence remark was not about scores, but rather the fact that Coach only began with 4 starters from previous game.
England game
Old 06-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

England game

Gee, England made hard work of that game.

I wish, and this applies to the men’s team too, they’d stop trying to play out from the back all the time.

It may work at club level but for an International team it makes no sense especially when there were so many changes from the last game. The players are just too unfamiliar with each other to do it well.

As the game went on Japan’s high press just got better and better and in the last 20 minutes it just became embarrassing, persistently losing possession on the edge of their 18 yard box. Just hoof it upfield. At the worst you’ll just lose it in a less dangerous area.

Also, the less said about Scotland the better.
Halle Open
Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #80

Halle Open

French tennis player Benoit Paire drops his racket during yesterday's match and a spontaneous game of footie breaks out. This has absolutely nothing to do with the WWC, but I found it to be entertaining just the same. The crowd definitely enjoyed their performance.