Wood Glue

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm repairing an lazy-boy recliner couch, and I need to decide on which glue will do the best job.

Gorilla
Titebond (I, II, II)
old-fashioned yellow glue?

Experiences?

Gorilla works awesome.........:)

I have had success with Elmer's carpenter glue too..........takes a little longer to dry than Gorilla, but I like it better when working with finer joints and expensive pieces of wood........

Hope that helps........:) The Elmer's glue is brown, BTW.......

Al, how is it broken? Is it a doweled joint? You can make a joint stronger by dowelling or with slot & biscuit. This might be more important than the brand of glue, but a trtaditional woodworking glue should be strong enough if the repair is properly done. Be sure use good clamps, & don't rush it back into service.

Yes, it's a doweled joint (shown by arrow).

I can open that joint. My plan is to open it and put the glue in and then clamp it tight (I have some nice long pipe clamps) and wait a few days.

Then I will put the oak piece over it, glue and screw that in, and let it dry a few more days.

This joint takes a lot of strain, since it is a recliner.

Note the casters. I put the whole couch on casters so I can put it in front of the fireplace or move it out of the way.

Attachments

• Couch.jpg
    Couch.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Couch.jpg_thumb
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • OpenJoint.jpg
    OpenJoint.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 12
  • OpenJoint.jpg_thumb
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Another thing you might consider is to splice the joint with a metal L-shaped bracket on the top side & a flatbar piece on the bottom.

There's also always Lock-Tite or something like that. You get to use it once per joint, and it swells the dowel after you fit the two pieces back together. Very strong if you don't have too loose a fit to begin with.

Otherwise, yellow Elmers has never failed me.l

Gorilla glue is polyurethane and will expand to fill the gaps in the joint. It needs moisture to cure, so if you decide to use it, spray the wood with water before you apply the glue. Clamp and wait a day. It will make a very strong joint. 2nd choice would be Tightbond 2.

I ended up using the Elmer's equivalent of Gorilla Glue, Elmer's Ultimate Glue (local hardware store didn't have Gorilla). I did spray with water first and it's glued and clamped now. It looks very good.

Back
Top Bottom