Woodstock

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all! Just checking in with some of my friends here to reflect on this being the 45th anniversary of Woodstock. Can you believe it?

My classmates just had my 45 year HS class reunion, without me.

I was watching "The Sixties" on CNN last night, and they showed some Woodstock footage, but the movie of the event is the best place to relive it....

I was 13 that year. We had a summer place about 50 miles from Bethel/White Lake and there were a lot of hippies on the road to the concert. I remember wishing I could go ...but my parents were apopleptic!!!!! Hippies!!! Hair!!! What was wrong with those kids?!?!?!?!? Quick run for the root cellar!!!!!!!!

Watch the movie of the event if you can...so much great music from the time...

Not from Woodstock, but I just listened to "WAR ( What is it good for-absolutely NOTHIN') on You Tube. Listen to that song, the words, and then think how 45 years after it was recorded, there are still wars going on. I guess we will never learn.

How did I get to be 58, and how is that concert at Woodstock 45 years in the past?!?!?!?

Well, I saw the film (released a year later?), and I remember seeing it! :cool:

So many greats! Santana - wow! The Who, Richie Havens, Joe Cocker, Alvin Lee, CSN&Y, Sly, ...

and of course, Jimi. It actually took me a while to fully appreciate his Star Spangled Banner, I love it now. But I think his most under-rated song of all time, one that I think few people could name (even people who could name, Hey Joe, Purple Haze, Cross Town Traffic, The Wind Cries Mary, Fire, Third Stone from the Sun, Foxy Lady, Are You Experienced?, Manic Depression, Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing, If 6 Was 9, Bold as Love , Voodoo Child (Slight Return) ).... this song, "Villanova Junction". I just think it is stunningly beautiful, and so fitting as an ending. Sorry to be morbid, but I want this song at my funeral, it always had a wonderful finality, yet this amazing fluid spirit of openness to its sound, like floating on air and drifting off to... where?

And since I first became familiar with the CSN&Y version of "Woodstock", Joni's original sounded strange to me, but I've come to love them both.

-ERD50

I was more into Sesame Street at the time ... but I would give 1% of my WR to see Jimi Hendrix do "Spanish Castle Magic."

Above all, Don't eat the brown acid.

I was 16 and out sailing with sea scouts on the Mississippi River between MO and IL, and on the way home there were all these radio reports about some concert in NY that jammed up all the highways. In today's vernacular, we thought 'whatever'. Then on our High School senior trip to NYC in 1970, we skipped the Woodstock movie to go to see the 'Mash' movie instead. (we did go see the play 'Hair' though!). Still have never seen the movie, but have heard every song on the soundtrack umpteen times. My favorite, for which I still know the words, is the 'I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag'. Although later at my college fraternity, one of the older members scratched out the F word on the House copy of the album at the beginning of the song, making it unplayable. (the beginning of the culture wars, I suppose;-)

Last edited:
Thinking of Joe Cocker (how could he possibly not have burned out by now?)

(And a thanks to our Martha who posted this years ago)

I finished computer school in early July 1969 and had bought tickets for Woodstock. However, I was offered a job in late July and decided I needed the job more than the trip to Woodstock. Now I wish I had saved the tickets.

I finally made it to Woodstock this summer lol. A little town still profiting from one concert 45 years later lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We were so much older then, we're younger than that now.

I was there! In the flesh (clothed) and the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom