Join Early Retirement Today

Wordplay - Twilight Zone Episode
Old 06-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wordplay - Twilight Zone Episode

It's not uncommon for one word to come out of my mouth when I mean something entirely different. I don't mean the times that one word would have better suited the situation, or saying mustard when I meant catsup. I'm referring to the times when a completely unrelated word is vocalized and sometimes I don't even know I said the wrong word! I don't know if others experience this very often, or at all, but it happens to me several times a week and it's been occurring for many years.

In light of recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings I thought you might find the Twilight Zone Episode "Wordplay" interesting. I saw this Twilight Zone episode back in the mid 1980's when it first aired on television. Ever since then it has stuck with me as being interesting because of my periodic substitution of words. This episode of Twilight Zone is not particularly eerie or scary so don't be afraid to watch it.

For those of you who like the actress Annie Potts she plays the wife in this episode of Twilight Zone.

I'm not trying to take sides about the Supreme Court cases but I do find it interesting that "State" doesn't always mean what it might initially indicate. I wonder if the Supreme Court justices had Twilight Zone in mind when they issued the recent rulings?

So, if you're interested, take a look at the video on YouTube. If the link doesn't work just search for Twilight Zone Wordplay episode.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was scary! It reminds me of some exams I've walked into "What are these words on this piece of paper?! Ohhh-noooo!!!!!!!"

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Long as we keep communicating. I waffle your feelings and am told I do the same.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of some meetings.
"Question?"
"No your a chicken, you can't talk only pigs can speak."
"Why am I here?"
"You can't speak!"
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sent an email to my siblings (similar to my original post) and one of my sisters replied back that she also experiences word substitution from time to time. On the other hand, I mentioned this phenomenon to some friends at dinner last night and both of them said this never happens to them. Maybe my friends were just freaked out by the fact that I told them what I ate for dinosaur.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

For a long time I would say "airport" instead of "post office" and half the time didn't realize it. I think I'm past that one now.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Mr. A. has started doing this in the last few years. We figure it's age-related. For example, he will say "Bush" instead of "Obama," utter a long criticism of what "Bush" has been doing, and be miffed when I ask if he really means "Obama." He doesn't realize he's transposed the names.

I, on the other hand, have always tended to confuse the words for "left" and "right" and "east" for "west," even though I understand the difference between the concepts themselves. Literally, I will tell someone to turn right, when I totally wanted to tell them to turn left. I managed to break myself of it - more or less - in my 30's, when I had to give lots of directions; but have found myself doing it again in recent years - also age-related, I'm sure.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't mean to freak you guys out, but I wonder if this (the way the person in the movie) is the way a person with Alzheimers feels.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

There must be some on-line tests for this. I recall finding myself saying 'garage' instead of 'garbage', and a few things like that, but rare and not getting worse (well, not that I notice anyway!).

But we keep the garbage cans in the garage so I guess there's a better connection than 'dinosaur' and 'lunch', or 'puppy' and 'Wednesday'!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Have a friend who calls his wife by another woman's name sometimes.

Not a good time when that happens.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Have a friend who calls his wife by another woman's name sometimes.

Not a good time when that happens.
I sometimes call my husband by my cat's name (both male), but that is nearly as bad as you friend...
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Expressive aphasia. Look that up so that you don't get freaked out about Alzheimers. I had occasional word substitution when I was in a high-stress job. I haven't had it for a while since I switched jobs. I have trouble remembering some words - for some reason when I see a cormorant, I can only think of ptarmigan. There are no ptarmigans where I live, so it really isn't a word I need.
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

How about words whose spelling just looks wrong - and the more you look at it the wronger it seems? The simple word BEEN is easily spelled, but every time I write it it gives me pause.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Wes Craven directed. Rod Serling was present only as a ghost.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Pop would call my mother by his sister's name.
I have the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app