Workshops

I'd take the toys but the shop itself is wayyyy to OCD for me.

And I say that as someone with a slight tendency towards it myself. Makes me uncomfortable just looking at that level of it.

edit: The gold, as ever, is in the comments:

"I've seen the sun rise on the slopes of the highest Andes mountain and set in the endless Pacific.
I have roamed the holy depths of the Vatican and hiked lengths of the Great Wall of China.
And I have held a newborn and stared into the eyes of my one true love, but never have I beheld a sight such as this workshop."

Last edited:
I have been subscribed to his channel for a while now. While I appreciate the organization and attention to detail, I personally don't like everything out in the open like that. I have a hard enough time cleaning the inevitable saw dust off my bar clamps, and tops of cabinets, even with a dust collector. I can't imagine how much work it would take to clean all those exposed tools.

edit: The gold, as ever, is in the comments:

"I've seen the sun rise on the slopes of the highest Andes mountain and set in the endless Pacific.
I have roamed the holy depths of the Vatican and hiked lengths of the Great Wall of China.
And I have held a newborn and stared into the eyes of my one true love, but never have I beheld a sight such as this workshop."

I missed that. That’s priceless.

I have been subscribed to his channel for a while now. While I appreciate the organization and attention to detail, I personally don't like everything out in the open like that. I have a hard enough time cleaning the inevitable saw dust off my bar clamps, and tops of cabinets, even with a dust collector. I can't imagine how much work it would take to clean all those exposed tools.

That’s what struck me too - how much work it would take to clean all of that.

Looks like a good way for a hobbyist to Blow That Dough, that's for sure. :) But a shop like that is not a dream of mine, personally.

I can live vicariously thru him.

However, if I didn't have to spend 1/2 hour making room for a quick repair in my garage, I would think I was in someone else's shop. I have a friend who, when we work together on a project, puts tools back as soon as he puts it down. I, on the other hand, go to grab the tool I used only 5 minutes ago, only to find it missing. He put it away before I was finished with it. To be fair, even without him working along side of me, I would probably search 10 minutes trying to find where I put that tool down.

INSANE. But I too question the cleanliness and chore of cleaning dust if infact, he does use all that stuff. My shop is pretty well organized, but I go through phases where I just leave stuff out, clutter builds, gets frustrating to even found a square foot of bench to put something on, then I hit a trigger and go "All right, enough." And go end to end and put everything away, sweep, clean........ then start to trash it again.. LOL

I can live vicariously thru him.

However, if I didn't have to spend 1/2 hour making room for a quick repair in my garage, I would think I was in someone else's shop. I have a friend who, when we work together on a project, puts tools back as soon as he puts it down. I, on the other hand, go to grab the tool I used only 5 minutes ago, only to find it missing. He put it away before I was finished with it. To be fair, even without him working along side of me, I would probably search 10 minutes trying to find where I put that tool down.

Two, things. I don't put anything away until I am done with the job, but I play a bit of a game, I don't know why, maybe to make it fun. I grab as many tools as I can, in both hands. Sometimes almost a dozen tools, then I challenge myself to put them away without dropping or putting any of them down. Open drawers with a pinky finger, put the heaviest/bigger stuff away first, drop that in that drawer, etc. And it affirms my motto that "everything has a place and every place has a thing" for organization.

Regarding losing tools, OMG. Neighbors have heard me cuss I am sure, and I tell myself "I should have been a magician." But I learned a method that is a win-win. If I lose a tool, then I immediately stop what I was working on and started cleaning up, putting stuff away. Works EVERY time, I always find the lost tool usually in less than a couple minutes. And has the added benefit of getting a jump on cleaning up.

wow. a bit over the top, but some beautifully made woodcraft there!

Wow, nice, but not for me... My workshop has been an evolving project itself for the last 15 years or so... As soon as the workspace gets filled with more unfinished projects, I just add on more work space....:) I do "try" to keep my tools "put away"... If I didn't, I'd never be able to find them...

I've never held a squalling brat,
nor climbed the slopes of Ararat,
but should I make my FIRE fat
I'd like to build a shop like that.

Back
Top Bottom