World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

To the English the approach of any World Cup, and to a lesser extent the Euros, always invokes feelings of excitement, trepidation, fear and hope in equal measure.

I believe the Pink Floyd lyric "hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" might apply here. ;)

I'm a Yank, and though disappointed that the USA side epically failed to qualify for this tournament, the World Cup wouldn't be the same without England's representation. It just wouldn't...

/snip/

This is the first tournament since I retired - so for the very first time since I was at school (I remember staying up until 2am watching Argentina trounce Peru in 1978 - even though I had important exams the day after) I've been able to watch most of the matches. It's been really intriguing with no team playing really well so far, except perhaps Russia, and no-one playing really badly apart from Saudi Arabia. There've been quite a few upsets making it difficult to pick a winner but if I had to choose, my heart says England of course (Football's coming home and all that...) but my head says Belgium might be in with a chance - even though I was not overly impressed with how they played in their opener. My other choice would be Spain. For a dark horse I would pick Russia, even though before the tournament I would have given them no chance but so far they have impressed albeit against weaker teams.

I would not pick Russia at all.. they will probably be knocked out on the first knock out game... they are in group A which will play group B which has Spain and Portugal....

The first two team they played were not that good... sure, playing better than expected but will not move on much further...

I think you have to wait until everybody has played a second game before changing all predictions... so IMO the same top 4 are still the same top 4...

I think you have to wait until everybody has played a second game before changing all predictions... so IMO the same top 4 are still the same top 4...

I agree. The opening games are often misleading. In 2010 Spain lost their opener to Switzerland, and then went on to win the tournament.

I would not pick Russia at all.. they will probably be knocked out on the first knock out game... they are in group A which will play group B which has Spain and Portugal....

The first two team they played were not that good... sure, playing better than expected but will not move on much further...

Yeah but look at what Uruguay did against the same two teams. That having been said I'm not saying that Russia will win - I just think they have a better chance than most people think - home advantage as well.

If anyone's really interested in predicting who'll win - this is a fairly good site. It has England as joint 5th (it uses math so it must be right - right?) with Belgium after Spain and Brazil at joint 1st and Germany at 3rd.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-world-cup-predictions/?ex_cid=endlink

It automatically updates as new results come in.

I believe the Pink Floyd lyric "hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" might apply here. ;)

I'm a Yank, and though disappointed that the USA side epically failed to qualify for this tournament, the World Cup wouldn't be the same without England's representation. It just wouldn't...

Yeah there have been a few times when England haven't qualified. It just doesn't feel the same. Never mind I'm sure you'll be there next time and certainly the time after.

Yeah but look at what Uruguay did against the same two teams. That having been said I'm not saying that Russia will win - I just think they have a better chance than most people think - home advantage as well.

If anyone's really interested in predicting who'll win - this is a fairly good site. It has England as joint 5th (it uses math so it must be right - right?) with Belgium after Spain and Brazil at joint 1st and Germany at 3rd.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-world-cup-predictions/?ex_cid=endlink

It automatically updates as new results come in.

Interesting site.... thanks for the link...

But, if you look at who they thought would win before the tournament, it was Brazil, Spain, Germany and Argentina.... at this time the same 4 are there with Germany moving down 1 spot to 3rd...

Let's wait until Russia plays Uruguay... I do think they can be them but then their next opponent is likely Portugal.... if not them then Spain... they have a 26% chance of winning which might be a bit optimistic but could be right give they are the home team... but if it is Spain I would reduce that in half...

Yeah there have been a few times when England haven't qualified. It just doesn't feel the same. Never mind I'm sure you'll be there next time and certainly the time after.

With the group they are in I would be very surprised if they did not make the knockout stage... we are talking Tunisia and Panama....

They then have a good shot at winning the next game as that would be Japan (likely)... but any team in group H they should beat.... the next up looks like Germany.... see ya later...

They then have a good shot at winning the next game as that would be Japan (likely)... but any team in group H they should beat.... the next up looks like Germany.... see ya later...

That is what they said in the Euros 2 years ago. Qualified with 10 wins in 10 matches, only the 6th team ever to do so, 3rd favorites to win in the finals but lost to Iceland in their first knockout round - didn’t even go to penalties, which is the usual way they go out.

Looking at how bad Spain played today I am taking them out... they will not win... I would have to look at the potential pairings to see how far I think they can go, but will wait...

Their only goal today was an accident... a clearance off Diego Costa that hit his knee and bounced in... they had a LOT of chances but did not get it in..

Iran almost tied them... a little offside, a couple of shots JUST wide... and a few centering passes that were just a bit too far to put in...

The website still has them as the favorite... but controlling the ball and making lots of passes does not win games...

The website still has them as the favorite... but controlling the ball and making lots of passes does not win games...

Ball possession is not always an important statistic. Evidence of this was born out in the Mexico/Germany match. Germany possessed the ball 69% of the time and outshot Mexico 9 to 4. Germany did look dangerous early on in that match with some great combination play around the penalty area. Finishing scoring chances wins futbol matches.

France/Peru

Peru played a spirited match vs France today. The Peruvians managed several good combinations around France's penalty area that resulted in scoring chances but lacked quality in finishing (along with a tough break hitting the woodwork). If not for a bit of sloppy midfield play that led to France's lone goal, the match was one where Peru could have stolen a point.

Looking forward to Argentina vs Croatia in just a few minutes.

One of the "diving-est" matches I've watched so far.... also, a referee that was quite in love with his yellow card.

Carrillo for Peru has improved his stock in this WC. Arguably, the best player out there in today's match.

Croatia midfield dominated Argentina with Modric (Real Madrid)and Rakitic (Barcelona) dictating the play and scoring two goals. Meanwhile the Argentinian back up goalie is a disaster.....

Croatia midfield dominated Argentina with Modric (Real Madrid)and Rakitic (Barcelona) dictating the play and scoring two goals. Meanwhile the Argentinian back up goalie is a disaster.....

Back-up goalkeeper aside, Argentina was a hot mess throughout the CONMEBOL qualifying cycle and it has continued through to today's match. If not for Messi's heroics in their final qualifier late last year, Aguero and the rest would be at home watching the WC on TV.

+ 1000

Some of the worst play I've ever seen. Not just bad play, but incredibly stupid, amateurish play.

My son's F-I-L is an Argentine expat. I love talking to him about soccer because he is so passionate about soccer. Didn't call him yesterday though. I suspect he is not in the best of moods. :eek:

+ 1000

Some of the worst play I've ever seen. Not just bad play, but incredibly stupid, amateurish play.

My son's F-I-L is an Argentine expat. I love talking to him about soccer because he is so passionate about soccer. Didn't call him yesterday though. I suspect he is not in the best of moods. :eek:

In looking at stats for the Argentina/Croatia match, Aguero did not have a single touch on the ball for the last 21' he was on the field. Messi had the 2nd *fewest* touches on the ball for the entire Argentine side.

Croatia's strategy of denying Messi time and touches on the ball was successful. Aguero looked good early on, then disappeared.

Well... that Cinderella story is over again.

They gave up in the second half. Thoroughly outplayed by Nigeria.

Back
Top Bottom