Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #241
Administrator

Holland were good value for their 3-0 win today against Brazil, Bronze medal, and their manager's next job will be in charge of Manchester United. What a year he is having!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Google-Ergebnis für http://sportbuzzer.emcdn.net/images/modified/2014/07/10/19/2636e5cbcb39539009aad92ddf46f014_742.jpg

2 popes, 1 game!

"My vote: 7:1 for Argentina, cause we have messi(as)"

"Dear brother, you are not correct. Germany has Manuel Neuer, he is without fail"
chris2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #243

Close game. It could have went either way. I'm glad it didn't go to penalty kicks.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #244
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Close game. It could have went either way. I'm glad it didn't go to penalty kicks.
+1

I hate to see games decided on penalty kicks.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #245
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It was a much more enjoyable game to watch than Brazil's pathetic performance in the semifinal. The teams were well matched, there was an exciting finish, and the better team won (IMHO).
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Messi's Free Kick
Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Messi's Free Kick

I didn't see whatever it was that led to Messi getting that free kick late in the OT. (The one that he skied) What was the reason for this kick?

I am inexperienced at watching soccer football, but I though Germany was magnificent in this game. They totally dominated, even though this was not really reflected in the score.

Ha
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #247

thoroughly enjoyed watching the WC... still don't know 1/2 the rules, but for some reason we were caught up in all the hoopla... what passionate fans this game has worldwide...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #248
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I didn't see whatever it was that led to Messi getting that free kick late in the OT. (The one that he skied) What was the reason for this kick?

I am inexperienced at watching soccer football, but I though Germany was magnificent in this game. They totally dominated, even though this was not really reflected in the score.

Ha
Slide tackle from the side but missed the ball, contacted and brought down Messi, so definitely a foul and free kick.

I also thought Germany deserved to win, not just on the day's performance but for their performance throughout the tournament. By far the biggest scorers overall although the 'Golden Boot' was won by a Columbian player, because Germany's many goals came from a lot of players, exactly what a coach likes to see.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Slide tackle from the side but missed the ball, contacted and brought down Messi, so definitely a foul and free kick.

I also thought Germany deserved to win, not just on the day's performance but for their performance throughout the tournament. By far the biggest scorers overall although the 'Golden Boot' was won by a Columbian player, because Germany's many goals came from a lot of players, exactly what a coach likes to see.
Thanks Alan. It seemed to me that there were fouls aplenty, mostly elbow administered. But coming in low and taking someone down can injure knees, so I suppose that refs have to be alert to that.

Ha
Old 07-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #250
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks Alan. It seemed to me that there were fouls aplenty, mostly elbow administered. But coming in low and taking someone down can injure knees, so I suppose that refs have to be alert to that.

Ha
Exactly. If that particular tackle had taken the ball first and then contacted Messi to bring him down it would not have been a foul since the feet of the slider were down and not dangerous (no cleats showing). As it was it was just simply a slightly mis-timed, otherwise legal, tackle. A tackle or foul (could be a hand-ball) that is not dangerous but done deliberately to stop a player or break up play will result in a caution (yellow card) and if if it stops a clear goal scoring opportunity then it will result in a sending off (red card).

ETA
In the last World Cup Ghana v Uruguay in a quarter final game Ghana would have scored a goal in the last minute but for a hand ball save on the line worthy of a goalkeeper by Louis Suarez. He was sent off, Ghana missed the penalty, the game went to a penalty shoot out and Uruguay won.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

I mostly liked watching the Italian ref in that last game.

Roommate is Argentina fan, but fortunately wasn't quite as sad as Messi was at the end of the game.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote