Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Worries
Old 02-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

DH has been retired since October. I am still working full-time. Thinking of giving up the job the end of summer. Don't know why it is a hard decision. We have a pension, medical benefits, etc., Guess it is a process to just let go.
Rewahoo: I think it is great your wife has the time to help out with the grandsons. They will not need her help forever! Maybe you can go over with her one or two days a week and help out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
Rewahoo: I think it is great your wife has the time to help out with the grandsons. They will not need her help forever! Maybe you can go over with her one or two days a week and help out.
I do go help out a couple of times a week. When the oldest (2nd grade) gets home from school, the adult-to-kid ratio is considerably unfavorable.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
...the adult-to-kid ratio is considerably unfavorable.
Even at 4:1 I feel undergunned.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1:1 is good to wipe me out on a number of days.

The minute I find the rocket motor on this kid, i'm turning it off for good...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I have my granddaughter all next week when I am home on vacation. Going to be fun. You are right --- the little ones are non-stop.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I worry that . . .

my new blackberry bush cuttings may not survive,
I can send you cuttings of a variety produces great fruit, is almost impossible kill. Ranks right up there with Morning Glory, English Ivy and Scotch Broom.** *
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I can send you cuttings of a variety produces great fruit, is almost impossible kill. Ranks right up there with Morning Glory, English Ivy and Scotch Broom.** *
I don't know what kind these plants are. My neighbor had some plants and whacked off some cuttings for me. I thought they died right off the bat. (I planted them then left town for two weeks). But last week I noticed some life in them.

I'm not sure the plants that thrive in Pudget Sound would do well in Phoenix. I try cuttings and seeds of anything from everywhere I travel. It's surprising what takes sometimes. The regular irrigation helps, but summers are brutal on plants here.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those of us who can't find anything to worry about, try Scott Burns' recent article: We'll never outlive our worries
But we can outlive our money, so let's see our odds of survival

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/scottburns/columns/2006/stories/DN-burns_07bus.ART0.State.Edition2.20cf61c.html

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 02-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Good article, Akaisha. I see that of the original 100,000 folks at birth, only a little over 2000 make it to 100. The 80s are the real killing field.

Here is another good Scott Burns article, this one about "Reinventing Oneself" Very interesting comment regarding pride.

Ha
Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Yep - nothing like a hurricane and two deaths in the household to give one an atitude adjustment.

Eating my own words - back in snow country(aka up North of Slidell) - house in the burbs and enjoying it - so far. No longer run ORP calc.'s to 90 or 100 as often (at least not as seriously).

So much for - for I'll never do that again.

Still worry - but don't take myself near as serious anymore.

heh heh heh heh - may even buy a NAME BRAND box of dryer sheets this year.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 AM   #51

Since I am 62, need to make it to the end of the chart! Slowly, one day at a time. And enjoy the ride.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
As far as the money:* I worry that I will worry too much about it, denying myself things and experiences, then have lots of money when I'm old and have people trying to manipulate me or worse (think Agatha Christie novels!) to get it.
I don't necessarily worry about the latter, but I certainly worry about the former. It's hard not to think that you're denying yourself some great experiences (and therefore great memories in your old age) just to save money above and beyond what you'll need for your retirement. We're constantly bombarded by advertisements and media messages about all of the "fun" we could be having on vacation, at restaurants, with the latest gadget, etc...

I think that many people on this board save far more than they'll ever need in retirement -- even early retirement. While having a couple of million at retirement is nice, if you've been frugal all your life, how can you possibly spend up to even a safe withdrawal rate of 4% (i.e. $80k a year pre-tax)? Chances are, you've been spending half that for 20 years, so even taking inflation into account, you'll still have a sizeable estate.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I don't necessarily worry about the latter, but I certainly worry about the former.* It's hard not to think that you're denying yourself some great experiences (and therefore great memories in your old age) just to save money above and beyond what you'll need for your retirement.* We're constantly bombarded by advertisements and media messages about all of the "fun" we could be having on vacation, at restaurants, with the latest gadget, etc...
I think you said a mouthful here. Worrying about missing experience is a manufactured worry- created by advertising. If you are engaged in life, and at least some of the time choose passion over safety you will feel good about things.

When my dad got old, I am pretty sure his main pleasant memories were of being a young father and a young man dealing with life. And maybe he also had some fond memories of an occasional detour from the main road.

Ha

Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #54

I was just being a bit dramatic with the Agatha Christie thing, even though the rich, childless aunt does often end up being the victim! But, I sometimes feel I'm denying myself things even without advertisers tying to suck me in. For now it feels worth it, we are almost to the goal. But once we meet the goal I really hope to relax and enjoy whatever it is I want to do within the SWR, but that is the main worry, that I'll needlessly obsess about it.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #55

Hi Ha-Ha..

I think Reinventing ourselves is important - and not just when we retire.* 8)

I'm sure you feel the same way -- we don't wanna get stale or get in a rut. Try something new, even if it's just walking on the other side of the sidewalk for a change. Then tomorrow do something REALLY brave like eat some vegetables that you normally don't!* **

All this simply gets the mental juices going and before you know it, we are more mentally flexible.. It's really important...* 8)* Life's too short.

A friend of ours was hit by a tour bus the other week... out cold for 10 minutes...* He's ok, but he's re-thinking a lotta stuff!

Akaisha
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Hi Ha-Ha..
A friend of ours was hit by a tour bus the other week... out cold for 10 minutes... He's ok, but he's re-thinking a lotta stuff!
I hope he wasn't riding a bicycle. I'm glad he recovered.

MJ
Old 02-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #57

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Those Himalayan blackberries are the WORST. They are not native to the PNW, but love the weather... the canes will grow up to 1' per day in the summer. Nice big blackberries, although you really pay for them in blood. To get rid of them, you pretty much have to hack the canes back down to ground level, and then paint the "stump" with super-concentrated roundup.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
To get rid of them, you pretty much have to hack the canes back down to ground level, and then paint the "stump" with super-concentrated roundup.
Haole koa trees.

More than once, too. They come back two or three times despite the application of the concentrated stuff at $40/quart...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #59

MJ:
Quote:
I hope he wasn't riding a bicycle. I'm glad he recovered.
Naw, he was doing the dangerous activity of walking around in Bangkok...* It shook him up, though...* and unfortunately, he wanted to bring in his insurance carrier from the States...* ** and then got caught up in a bureaucratic nightmare.* :P* That was worse, I think, than being hit.* *

Akaisha
Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #60

hi Akaisha,

I cosider myself a fairly careful bicyclist in traffic challenged NYC so after I arrived in Bangkok, I quickly adjusted to the opposite and the hectic traffic flow.
As you know, looking in the wrong direction for a split second can be very hazardeous in Thai congested cities.