Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I kinda like some Hummels and used to have several. I saved "The Goose Girl" as my father gave it to me. The other Hummels were gifts to me from a teacher friend of my Mom's (they had classrooms next to each other for years). She was a very nice lady, worked hard and took care of her frail mother all her life. I loved her gifts and the thoughts behind them, but I got a little nervous about what my son might do with them at some point in the future (read thrift store or worse, trash). I gave them to a co-worker's little daughters, and she invited me to the house to see them in the curio cabinet where her girls keep their valued knick-knacks. I am relieved that this dear lady's gifts have found a good home. I did not want to sell them. I can remember this generous friend very well and often without the Hummels.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I inherited "collectible" coins. Marketing them is a PITA. The only one, evidently, of interest to collectors is a $0.05 San Fran. All the rest are, even the 'graded' ones are face value.

I am so happy my parents aren't alive to see the result of those investments.

My peer group is in the 'downsizing' phase of life. One asked how others had handled that, the best response was the classmate who said he invited family and close friends to choose what he had to give away... now he visits his former belongings.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #23

A number of years ago when cleaning out my grandmothers house, my mom took several porcelain dolls in pieces found in the attic and got about $500-600 for them from an antique dealer who planned to restore them. My dad then wanted to know if there was any other sh*t in the attic that could fetch some money. We got a good laugh out of that comment and I still do.

I have some of the BB's that were sold by McDonalds that are the mini version. They are cute, but I never thought they would be worth more $$ as they aged. I actually had some craft plans for them and find my enthusiasm now waning. I may send them off to a deployed soldier requesting toys to hand out to local children at Books for Soldiers.

It was interesting to see the article feature the Norman Rockwell plates. I have quite a few of them from a relatives house I had to clean out and sell last year. They thought the plates were valuable!

I have some of the blue and white Christmas plates made by Bing & Grondahl and Royal Copenhagen. The prices seem to be much lower a year or so after a new plate is issued. The older and rare ones appear to still be for sale at some pretty high prices. One can only have and hold so many collectibles though. I'm not sure if I will pursue any additional plates or not right now. Too much stuff and not enough room for it all.

My mother loved to collect all kinds of plates and glassware. I have lots of odds and ends of her stuff. Yet again there is only so much room available to store it all. Some of it is green depression glass which I'm sort of neutral about. Maybe I can hold onto it and sell it off when (if) the collectible market recovers in the next 20-30 years.

I guess I have to have some boxes of fun stuff for my family to dig through when I'm gone. Although having gone through this process in the past couple years it gets old real fast.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

In my early working years I went on a dishes binge and got quite a few different early and mid 20th century pieces. I have a bunch of Riviera ware (colorful like fiesta ware but less hefty). We used them as regular dishes for a long time. Then about 15 years ago I saw a Riviera mug for sale for $90 and quit using them. I just might pull out the set again as I like the dishes.

I also have a bunch of depression ware glass which probably doesn't keep up with inflation. My everyday dishes are an occupied Japan set. Pretty. Not worth a whole lot but beats Corelle.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the 'high end" my FIL was sold gold coins issued by a con artists shop called the gold standard corporation. all the coins had an Ultra right wing economist's head on them. Most cost 10-15% more than the Krugerrand price. One was a massive 5 oz gold coin. FIL was absolutely convinced by the seller they would appreciate more than the gold value. We were relieved when we found out that they were in fact gold, but of course they sold for only the bullion melt price.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I have gone potty for pots by which I mean American produced art pottery prior to 1960...Hull, Roseville, McCoy, etc. Yeah, my son will be cursing me someday

I just dumped alot of McCoy, because, after pricing it, found it wasn't worth schlepping across the country again and that stuff is heavy; but your Roseville...wow...I'd just love to have a big collection of that. Now that's a worthy collection and should escalate in value I would think. I hope you clue your son into what the value is on that stuff even now$$$$$.

Since a couple folks have mentioned collectible plates, I have a ton of hand painted vintage plates--alot by some lady marked 1903, so they're old. Anyway, this is what I plan to do with mine but over the bed instead of the kitchen or dining room. Just wanted to do something creative with them that was different (scroll down the page for all the ideas). I really like the falling plate appearance of the last set that is over the stove.

http://www.gaitainteriors.com/blog/?p=1031
Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post

Since a couple folks have mentioned collectible plates, I have a ton of hand painted vintage plates--alot by some lady marked 1903, so they're old. Anyway, this is what I plan to do with mine but over the bed instead of the kitchen or dining room. Just wanted to do something creative with them that was different (scroll down the page for all the ideas). I really like the falling plate appearance of the last set that is over the stove.

Wildly Creative Ways to Use Plates as Wall Decoration «
I agree, I like that one a lot. I have a number of similar plates that were my MIL's, I might try a hanging like that. Much better than the usual symmetrical display that ends up looking so old lady. I wonder what is the best way to hang them.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I've never really been into collecting things...but I do enjoy my coins and guns.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
...but I do enjoy my coins and guns.
I have a few guns. I just gave a very nice one away.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I agree, I like that one a lot. I have a number of similar plates that were my MIL's, I might try a hanging like that. Much better than the usual symmetrical display that ends up looking so old lady. I wonder what is the best way to hang them?"

Martha, I plan to get plate hangers from WalMart and hang them that way. I like the way these plates look like they are dripping down the wall with some of them slightly overlaying the other. Very creative and different I thought (I can just feel the men reading this going zzzzzzzzzz..haha!).
You could always make outlines of the plates on paper and use painter's tape (the blue stuff) to tape the outlines to the wall before you actually start nailing anything. And I bought those professional picture hangers/nails with the needlike nails at Lowes, so if you pull it out cause if it's hung wrong they leave no marks on the walls like regular nails leave.

The reason I'm going to "drip" them down the bedroom wall is I have no headboard and don't want one either, and I don't want that old lady thing of putting plates in the dining room or kitchen. Too cliche. This is different and more creative to me. (Apologies to those of you with the plates in the dining room and kitchen.)

....and I loves me guns, too. I just rejoined the NRA, but can't seem to get anyone here to do it sadly.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In my early working years I went on a dishes binge and got quite a few different early and mid 20th century pieces. I have a bunch of Riviera ware (colorful like fiesta ware but less hefty). We used them as regular dishes for a long time. Then about 15 years ago I saw a Riviera mug for sale for $90 and quit using them. I just might pull out the set again as I like the dishes.

I also have a bunch of depression ware glass which probably doesn't keep up with inflation. My everyday dishes are an occupied Japan set. Pretty. Not worth a whole lot but beats Corelle.

It is funny... one of my sisters was going to start collecting depression glass... I don't think she did... but who knows for sure...... BUT, the funny thing is that my mom and dad used to buy CASES of the stuff... it was very very cheap back then and they were in a carnival and gave it away as prizes... I think they had a few cases of it left when I was very young, but got rid of it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

If you want a worthless collection.... try STAMPS... my dad collected stamps for a LONG time... maybe a decade after he died my mother brought them out for me to look at... I found a book that valued them and was surprised surprised!!! LOOK... this one is worth $5... this one $10... man, we got a LOT of money here.....

Until I figured out the book was in cents.... Don't know where they are today... maybe my brother has them....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
My collectible weakness is a complete collection of John D. MacDonald's pulp fiction from the 1950s through 1980s, most of which were only printed as paperbacks, fragile old things.
They are great, but why does the beautiful, sexy woman always get offed?

Ha
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you want a worthless collection.... try STAMPS...
But what a fun and educational hobby for a boy! ( I'm sure it would be the same for a girl, I just never knew a girl stamp collector.)

I loved the art, and I loved looking up the places on a map or globe, and reading about them in the encyclopedia.

Ha
Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But what a fun and educational hobby for a boy! ( I'm sure it would be the same for a girl, I just never knew a girl stamp collector.)
I collected stamps for years. Still love 'em.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post

The reason I'm going to "drip" them down the bedroom wall is I have no headboard and don't want one either, and I don't want that old lady thing of putting plates in the dining room or kitchen. .
Here in earthquake country, this sounds like a chic but terrible idea. If your area is at all prone to earthquakes, please don't hang the plates over the headboard of your bed!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Late 80's and early 90's, I bought 4 or 5 Bill Bass holiday 'cat' plates ("Santa Paws", "Mewing in the New Year", etc.) for the wife as Christmas presents. Paid $30 a pop. Never thought they'd be worth a fortune, but always figured we could get our money back if sold. Had to laugh when I looked them up on E-bay and they were going for $2-$5.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Here in earthquake country, this sounds like a chic but terrible idea. If your area is at all prone to earthquakes, please don't hang the plates over the headboard of your bed!
''

Or even if your bed is prone to earthquakes.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or even if your bed is prone to earthquakes.
Perhaps you need to re-think that 'no-headboard' position opinion and opt for a padded one...
Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #40

My husband and I used to collect...him more than me. I got so tired of looking at all that old stuff that literally filled my basement. Had my auction before the recession, thank goodness, so people were still buying. Never, never again will I collect anything.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote