Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not fearful of ghosts or spirits, but my grandmother's house was haunted and I know that for certain.

I grew up in Chicago, and my father's mother lived in Kentucky where my sister and I spent our summers for many years. Most of my experience related to having strange dreams that only happened when I was in that house. My sister felt a presence that she described as being a young woman who was friendly but shy.

About 20 years after my grandmother died my sister and her family were traveling through the area, and she wanted to just drive by the house to reminisce. They were sitting in their car outside the house when a young lady came out and walked to their car. She was very nice....just curious.

When my sister explained that she had spent summers in the house growing up, the girl immediately asked if my sister was ever aware of any "presence" in the house.
My sister said yes.....but that she was never frightened of it. The young lady agreed, and said that she had grown up in the house feeling as if she had an older sister that she had never really gotten to know.

There was never any history of any deaths in the house that anyone was aware of.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would never buy or live in a residence where people had been murdered or where someone had committed suicide. My experience having lived in a haunted house informs my feelings on the matter. The "spirits" in my haunted house were not malevolent but some very very strange things happened there that I would not want to re-experience.

Apart from that, the house is not very attractive to me and I suspect in this RE environment that it will lose a good portion of its value in the next 5-10 years.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #23

No. But as other have stated, not keen on the appearance of the house. Also, no desire at all to live in Silver Spring, MD. The murders are neither a selling point or deterrent.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We bought a haunted house in 1981. There were creaking stairs at night, doors that would slam and the TV would come on randomly. (I even removed the remote on the off chance that it had a short!) My father met the ghost in the finished basement once and had a chat with him. It was the old Italian father of the man who built the house, and who died in the house.

After 18 months, he left and we stayed there peacefully for another 12 years.

(I know this sounds crazy and I would not have believed it if we had not experienced ourselves!)
Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We bought a haunted house in 1981. There were creaking stairs at night, doors that would slam and the TV would come on randomly. (I even removed the remote on the off chance that it had a short!) My father met the ghost in the finished basement once and had a chat with him. It was the old Italian father of the man who built the house, and who died in the house.

After 18 months, he left and we stayed there peacefully for another 12 years.

(I know this sounds crazy and I would not have believed it if we had not experienced ourselves!)
Same with my house, Keith, only Marie just stayed for about a year. I didn't mind, and I don't think your post sounds crazy at all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw the blurb abut story but never saw the news.
This story brings up the fact that a school principal was shot by an 18yr old he met on line. That is hard to blame on the house.

Home invasion murders-scarier.
I believe Oregon had laws saying you had to disclose a prior history of violence. Corvallis had a house where a body had been sealed up inside a wall for ten years-think about that when you are remodeling.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #27

As a former realtor in Michigan and Florida, I would venture to say that most, if not all, states have disclosure laws about this very thing. As I recall, the law at that time was fairly vague (early 90's). I remember in Michigan there was some stipulation that any violent action in or on a particular property had to have been published in the paper or other news media. In other words, it couldn't have been local gossip or what someone thought happened. It had to be on record. All in the name of preventing lawsuits.

No different than disclosing some defect in the building itself.
Standard procedure.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #28

It's less about the house and more about the neighborhood (all murders).

FWIW I had a 3 family that had 4 deaths over the course a 12 years ... all unrelated. 1. Father shoots the daughter in retaliation for being shot by the mother/wife. 2. Kid killed by police after a carjacking. 3. Obese boyfriend has a massive heart attack in bed. 4. Distraught Dad hangs himself in the basement. The last one creeped out my tenants ... 2 moved out.

House sold no problem. People have short memories.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We have had deaths in our rentals in the past so this is of interest to me.

Here's comments on a few state's law's:
Haunted Real Estate Blog » The Law & Disclosure
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Nope nope nope.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #31

Not a chance. The 3 murders didn't happen as a single occurence.

The first two were killed in a home invasion. The next guy to own the house was killed as well.

I'm not usually superstitious but moving into that house would just be scary.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
The first two were killed in a home invasion. The next guy to own the house was killed as well.
I can see the real estate pitch now: "Divorce too expensive? Try this house!"