Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Clearly dumping. I've lived by lots of dumpers, and had to call the police on one. There is no reason to dump.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #42

Understood...………..yesterday I made my weekly trip to the dump . Where we live it is 40.00 month for trash pickup and that is curbside . My driveway is 300 yards long . So we bag it and take it to the dump . I drive to the dump and as I drive down rte. 30 a pickup towing a trailer is throwing trash for 15 miles . We both go to the same dump . For my weekly trash it is 2.00 . I go tell the guy who was in front of me losing trash that he should tarp his load all he says is Oh...…
I hate this also and people who don't care should be forced to spend a Saturday picking up trash.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Understood...………..yesterday I made my weekly trip to the dump . Where we live it is 40.00 month for trash pickup and that is curbside . My driveway is 300 yards long . So we bag it and take it to the dump . I drive to the dump and as I drive down rte. 30 a pickup towing a trailer is throwing trash for 15 miles . We both go to the same dump . For my weekly trash it is 2.00 . I go tell the guy who was in front of me losing trash that he should tarp his load all he says is Oh...…
I hate this also and people who don't care should be forced to spend a Saturday picking up trash.

I also take the trash each week to the dump. The roads within 5 miles of the dump are a landfill because of all the trash that blows out of PU trucks and trailers. People don't tarp their loads. I live in SC and frankly littering is the culture. It's sad. The Legislature earlier this year lowered the fines on littering as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

that's ghetto - report them
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I also take the trash each week to the dump. The roads within 5 miles of the dump are a landfill because of all the trash that blows out of PU trucks and trailers. People don't tarp their loads. I live in SC and frankly littering is the culture. It's sad. The Legislature earlier this year lowered the fines on littering as well.
Our County in Washington state requires dump loads to be tarped, and if not, the Dump station is allowed to fine $10.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like dumping to me. I always wonder about folks that take littering/dumping trash so lightly and are not willing to take minimal effort to throw stuff away.

I live on the coast and will often see a whole groups worth of fast food or meal trash just left sitting on the beach. A trash can may only be 15-20 yards away but they are not willing to take the effort to use it. Amazing to me.
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
Our County in Washington state requires dump loads to be tarped, and if not, the Dump station is allowed to fine $10.
Washington State is about 2 decades ahead of SC. That is a good idea and I may write an editorial in the paper and mention that.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I'd be irked. We have rentals so I'm no stranger to people doing messy slob stuff. Seems like the best thing to do is take care of the problem. In a similar situation I clean up the mess - not in a timid or quiet sort of way. I also collect shopping carts from parking spaces and use them and pick up garbage thrown in the pathway I walk. Purely selfish motives. I like usable parking spots and a clean view ASAP. I don't bother reporting stuff but have no desire to live in a HOA controlled environment either.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #49

Definitely dumping. I would be livid! This is why I never wanted neighbors. Only recently a builder bought the property next to our 10.5 acre lot and put in a driveway with a culvert and now I am dealing with water coming over to our property and pooling at our culvert- destroying some of the blacktop edges- running down alongside our driveway, pooling around our trees and a utility pole and then running into a brook- wearing out the banks of the brook. But the town and DEC say it is my culvert that is clogged, despite the fact that plenty of water is coming out the other end with no issue! Really? In 31 years we never had this issue until the builder put this driveway and culvert in, which is very close to ours. Meanwhile- the builder only works on the property occasionally and after several years there is still no home on it- just a big mess of felled trees and rocks and dirt.

BTW- I cannot figure out how to post a picture here.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I walk my neighborhood for exercise, to pick up trash, to note people who are not neighbors for future reference (give them the eyeball to let them know I am there), and to look for evidence of things going on that could be a community wide problem. On occasion I find something that was dumped or escaped the trash. If I know who the trash belongs to, I pick it up and leave it on their door step. If it is a careless mistake, I leave a note kindly asking to secure their trash. If it is purposely littering or dumping and I know who it belongs to, I leave a note to please not litter and state "Make your neighborhood the neighborhood you want to live in." Sometimes you can find out who the trash belongs to by examining it for names addresses etc. Sometimes it is something that the person doesn't know they have lost it and returning the items is something they are grateful for. If an item is of value and there is no way to identify who it belongs to, I use the neighborhood email system to notify the an item has been found and can be claimed by calling my home phone. I even noted one time a young man in his car throwing rotten meat into the woods. I noted the car and the license plate number. Then I found the car in my neighborhood and asked some people sitting outside who the car belonged to. This was a group of people who had emigrated to the US. I explained that the rotten meat was not good for the animals he might think he is helping and definitely not in the best interest of the community. Those people responded that they knew who had done it and would take care of the problem. It was taken care of. The best part of all this is that my neighbors see me collecting the litter and the amount of litter has decreased over time due to their knowledge that someone does care about what the neighborhood looks like. Now regularly, neighbors stop and thank me for what I am doing. The solution is to help change the culture and gain pressure from those who want a great neighborhood vs the ones who trash your neighborhood. If you do note something that signifies larger problems, notify the police. In one instance it resulted in apprehension of someone they were looking for.
WWDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
I walk my neighborhood for exercise, to pick up trash, to note people who are not neighbors for future reference (give them the eyeball to let them know I am there), and to look for evidence of things going on that could be a community wide problem. On occasion I find something that was dumped or escaped the trash. If I know who the trash belongs to, I pick it up and leave it on their door step. If it is a careless mistake, I leave a note kindly asking to secure their trash. If it is purposely littering or dumping and I know who it belongs to, I leave a note to please not litter and state "Make your neighborhood the neighborhood you want to live in." Sometimes you can find out who the trash belongs to by examining it for names addresses etc. Sometimes it is something that the person doesn't know they have lost it and returning the items is something they are grateful for. If an item is of value and there is no way to identify who it belongs to, I use the neighborhood email system to notify the an item has been found and can be claimed by calling my home phone. I even noted one time a young man in his car throwing rotten meat into the woods. I noted the car and the license plate number. Then I found the car in my neighborhood and asked some people sitting outside who the car belonged to. This was a group of people who had emigrated to the US. I explained that the rotten meat was not good for the animals he might think he is helping and definitely not in the best interest of the community. Those people responded that they knew who had done it and would take care of the problem. It was taken care of. The best part of all this is that my neighbors see me collecting the litter and the amount of litter has decreased over time due to their knowledge that someone does care about what the neighborhood looks like. Now regularly, neighbors stop and thank me for what I am doing. The solution is to help change the culture and gain pressure from those who want a great neighborhood vs the ones who trash your neighborhood. If you do note something that signifies larger problems, notify the police. In one instance it resulted in apprehension of someone they were looking for.

I do the same! I pick up the litter every day on our road. Just disgusting. The things I find on the side of the road you just would not believe. Every so often, someone stops their car and thanks me. I am the only one that does this. I hope to move in a few years and all I can say to the other residents is "good Luck" - the place will be looking like a dump in just a few years after I leave.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:50 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Be a good neighbor pick it up haul it to the dump . Pay your five dollars and shame them .
And maybe be accused of stealing this stuff if they are not on the best of terms.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

No question it's dumping, but I also get upset at the neighbors that "dump" their yard waste into the woods. Piles of grass clippings, branches, leaves and even the occasional Christmas tree.....
TreyLagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyLagger View Post
No question it's dumping, but I also get upset at the neighbors that "dump" their yard waste into the woods. Piles of grass clippings, branches, leaves and even the occasional Christmas tree.....
I pick up the leaves in the gutter along my street to form mulch a few paces off the street along with acorns from my yard. The thin soil does not support tree growth in my area and hope that oak trees will grow in that area. The leaves know no property line and people don't pick them up. I let them settle in the gutter then put my mower on the lowest setting with a bag. It chops up the leaves and bags them. Then I just line the street in the green space across the street with mulch. The acorns I blow into a bunch and pick them up and lay in the mulch.
WWDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

broadway.... any update?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote