Would you delay ER to work on Mars?

Warthog

Dryer sheet aficionado
The Spirit and Opportunity (Mars) Rovers are approaching three years past their original warranty period of 90 days. If you were one of the scientists, would you put off retirement to see the project through?

I remember joking with a fellow programmer about writting a couple support applications for a project we were working on at the time and naming them 'Spirit' and 'Opportunity'. Little did I know that system would become as big as it has nor that the rovers would still be going three years later :)

As someone who actually works at JPL, the answer is a definite yes. People work for a lot of reasons, most people on flight projects have a deep regard for the work they do and the limited opportunities (launch windows to Mars are every two years), funding can be VERY hard to come by and I have never seen anyone bail at critical times. There are a bunch of people with 40 to 50 years service, you just can't get the geeks to leave.
Now, when a project ends there is a frenzy to find another project or job somewhere. Then being retirement eligible comes in very handy for stress control.

You mean they let you play on the Mars program AND they pay you!?! ;)

For me, working on the Mars program would BE retirement :D
Nothing I can imagine would be more enjoyable.

I would have delayed RE if I was working on that project.

Then again I would have delayed RE if I was a:
Bartender in a strip joint
A NASCAR driver
A multi billionaire running a multi billion dollar company
The President of the USA
A Rock & Roll Star with a lot of groupies
Close to finding a cure for cancer
Making the world a better place

Back
Top Bottom