Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Would you stay in a marriage if your spouse Cheated?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would you stay in a marriage if your spouse Cheated?

The recent thread by theFed made me think of this question, especially in light of the Arnold and Maria scandal. What if your spouse cheated? What if it was a one time indiscretion? Does it matter the circumstance? For the ladies, what if a seductress initiated the physical contact with your spouse? Assume that the marriage is an otherwise great marriage with lots of love and respect. Frankly, I am puzzled why Maria would choose to leave Arnold for something that happened so long ago supposedly by a woman who set out to seduce Arnold. Did she make that decision because she is concerned about what others would think if she stayed? Maybe the marriage was not a good one to begin with. I don't see myself remaining in a marriage with someone that's a cheater but I am not sure if I would want to throw away my marriage of many years for a one time indiscretion particularly one with small children.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
... I am not sure if I would want to throw away my marriage of many years for a one time indiscretion particularly one with small children.
Well, er, how small are the children?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

I'm surprised that you are puzzled as to why she would leave for something that happened so long ago. He kept that secret for ten years while his mistress worked in their home. Then he told her about it after he left office when it wouldn't affect his political career. To me, that action in itself reveals a whole lot about his character, and none of it good.

In addition you write "Maybe the marraige was not a good one to begin with." This is often what people say when one spouse cheats, as if that justifies cheating and betrayal. I really don't understand that attitude at all. If the marriage is not a good one, you try to make it better or you divorce. Ideally, you don't cheat on the person you love(d).

But what do I know? I followed my ideals and I'm divorced.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I would have to look at the circumstances of the cheating and whether I wanted to stay in the relationship . When I was younger I would have said "No way " but being older I would weigh the factors . If it was a one time thing I might forgive but I would not forget . More than once and I would be throwing his clothes on the lawn . As for Arnold if you are going to cheat at least do it with someone hot not your house keeper .
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #5

I think I could forgive a one time mistake, even a mistake that took a period of time and then was over and never repeated. What makes me really mad about the Arnold thing is that he has been lying about it daily for 14 or 15 years. It's not like this happened once and then was over and gone from his life. He's had continued contact, an ongoing relationship of some sort with the woman and has financially supported her, their son and some of her family.

I don't care if the woman was a seductress. Arnold is responsible for his own behavior. Each and every time he had sex with her. And each and every time he sent her a check and each and every time he didn't tell Maria about his extra son.

Just shameful.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would have to look at the circumstances of the cheating and whether I wanted to stay in the relationship . When I was younger I would have said "No way " but being older I would weigh the factors . If it was a one time thing I might forgive but I would not forget . More than once and I would be throwing his clothes on the lawn . As for Arnold if you are going to cheat at least do it with someone hot not your house keeper .
Divorced upon a time here...but, ditto what Moemg said!

This is not a pass for you guys people to go out and sow oats!!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I think I could forgive a one time mistake, even a mistake that took a period of time and then was over and never repeated. What makes me really mad about the Arnold thing is that he has been lying about it daily for 14 or 15 years. It's not like this happened once and then was over and gone from his life. He's had continued contact, an ongoing relationship of some sort with the woman and has financially supported her, their son and some of her family.

I don't care if the woman was a seductress. Arnold is responsible for his own behavior. Each and every time he had sex with her. And each and every time he sent her a check and each and every time he didn't tell Maria about his extra son.

Just shameful.
It doesn't sound like they had much of a marriage, does it. Life is sad and perhaps the saddest of all, are those who don't know what they're missing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
In addition you write "Maybe the marraige was not a good one to begin with." This is often what people say when one spouse cheats, as if that justifies cheating and betrayal. I really don't understand that attitude at all. If the marriage is not a good one, you try to make it better or you divorce. Ideally, you don't cheat on the person you love(d).

But what do I know? I followed my ideals and I'm divorced.
I am not suggesting that he cheated because the marriage was not good. What I am saying is that if they had a great marriage, why is she so quick to divorce him as a 55 year old woman and risk growing old alone? I personally, don't think it's smart to divorce your husband of many years if you have a good marriage and he had a one time indiscretion.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I'm surprised that you are puzzled as to why she would leave for something that happened so long ago. He kept that secret for ten years while his mistress worked in their home. Then he told her about it after he left office when it wouldn't affect his political career. To me, that action in itself reveals a whole lot about his character, and none of it good.
We can't conclude that Maria did not know. I think it's very likely that she knew about it but chose to stand by his side to protect his political career.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

He'd wish I'd left....
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Well, er, how small are the children?
You, my friend, are a serious language geek.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am not suggesting that he cheated because the marriage was not good. What I am saying is that if they had a great marriage, why is she so quick to divorce him as a 55 year old woman and risk growing old alone? I personally, don't think it's smart to divorce your husband of many years if you have a good marriage and he had a one time indiscretion.
Point worth considering. If it was in my earlier years of marraige, I'll get a divorce asap. Having been married 25 years and if it happens now, I'll consider your point but likely will still divorce. I think these answers would be similar to his too if the situation was reversed.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
He'd wish I'd left....

Exactly. But as for Arnie, I think he was a serial womanizer, this just happened to be the only, er, issue from his infidelity.

I don't care how old we are, I'm not staying with a cheater just so I'm not alone. No children, small or otherwise.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I would not forgive. A marriage is about respect and trust. Either you are in or you are out.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Tough crowd. Having someone cheat on you is challenging, but harms you less than having her spend too much money, drink too much, get really fat, use cocaine, have lousy inlaws, get you involved in disputes, etc. Things change if she is unavailable or unloving to you.

One more good reason for a man to avoid marriage. If you aren't married and someone cheats, you and she can decide what you want to you, but you can't be punished by having her or him run off with the bankbook. In this state, you must remember to send her home to momma before she can spend 365 days under your roof.

Ha
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #16

I'll cross that bridge when/if I get there... but this here vasectomy says that, if there are kids involved, they ain't mine. (so kids would be another data point to consider, although I suspect I'd be on to something after she had the first one)
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #17

Divorce for sure. The problem isn't so much that it puts a financial burden on you, it is just one of the fastest ways to destroy someone's trust, creating a huge emotional burden by having to be around them. Small children may be a reason to wait some time, but that doesn't in any way fix the problem.

I do think marriage itself has way too many negatives until a person is established in life, or has nothing. Those are two extremes that many people do not fall under. I really cannot see myself married, with a proper pre-nup, until my mid 30s. The financial pitfalls to an early and long marriage are staggering. Back to the main point, marriage doesn't create trust, actions are what create and maintain trust.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Frankly, I am puzzled why Maria would choose to leave Arnold for something that happened so long ago supposedly by a woman who set out to seduce Arnold..... I am not sure if I would want to throw away my marriage of many years for a one time indiscretion particularly one with small children.
I would not regard the delict as something that happened long ago and only once. The results of this event as well as the lies and cover ups from both parties to her probably stretch out till everything was disclosed recently. It would feel like an important part of my marriage has been an ongoing lie.

+1 to SueJ
Old 05-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It depends. I can think of numerous situations where I would try to work things out and numerous others where I would walk without discussion. I don't have enough information to conclude how I would act if I were in Maria's shoes.

An interesting side note is that a lot of male cheaters will not tolerate the same in their wives (Arnold?). I guess being a dick head is a generic feature.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Tough crowd. Having someone cheat on you is challenging, but harms you less than having her spend too much money, drink too much, get really fat, use cocaine, have lousy inlaws, get you involved in disputes, etc. Things change if she is unavailable or unloving to you.

One more good reason for a man to avoid marriage. If you aren't married and someone cheats, you and she can decide what you want to you, but you can't be punished by having her or him run off with the bankbook. In this state, you must remember to send her home to momma before she can spend 365 days under your roof.

Ha
Ah, but I probably wouldn't stick around for any of those other things on your laundry list either. Well, unless we both got fat together! And definitely not sticking around for the lovely euphemism "unavailable or unloving"! I am always bewildered by stories of people who say that before their divorce, they hadn't been intimate in many years.

Closed Thread